Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Apparently the Skate Canada judges don't think Rippon has "IT" in comparison to Chan. Guess Patrick exists on his own skating planet somewhere.

The judging of the mens' event in Canada appeared far too generous. I would like to see the Skate Canada men judged by the much stricter NHK judging panel. I definitely feel we would have seen some skaters score 10-15 points less than what they received in Kingston, Ontario.

vCash
    I don't think Rippon has "IT". To me, he's the Mark Mitchell of this Olympic cycle: jumps and spins are executed cleanly but generally no wow factor to them with the possible exception of The PON (to quote Terry Gannon, lol). The commentators also agreed: Adam got the job done but the overall performance was only ok.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't think Rippon has "IT". To me, he's the Mark Mitchell of this Olympic cycle: jumps and spins are executed cleanly but generally no wow factor to them with the possible exception of The PON (to quote Terry Gannon, lol). The commentators also agreed: Adam got the job done but the overall performance was only ok.
    I agree, though I do like him and his skating for what it is. My thing is I don't think Patrick has "IT" either contrary to popular belief. He is WAY overrated to me! Yes, his skating skills are exceptional, but his jumps are generally poorly landed, his spins are nothing spectacular, and his skating majorly lacks sparkling, engaging personality. You'd think by the scores he receives that he is the cleanest, most consistent, most awesome competitor on the planet, but then you watch him and it's splat after splat after splat. I remember feeling shocked reading that someone commented that he's a better performer than Stephane Lambiel. That opinion is just utterly mindblowing to me.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 11-01-2010 at 03:27 PM.

vCash
    Here's Rippon's "Cinema Paradiso" exhibition from the Skate Canada gala: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVUYGzFisY

The October issue is now online: http://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp?id=467
    BTW, this issue of SKATING with the Rippon cover story and photos should be available for free at Skate America in Portland, OR.

vCash
    I just don't get Rippon. Everything is nice and pretty but just feels so vanilla. I found Kevin Reynolds more exciting to watch at SC

vCash

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Apparently the Skate Canada judges don't think Rippon has "IT" in comparison to Chan. Guess Patrick exists on his own skating planet somewhere.

The judging of the mens' event in Canada appeared far too generous. I would like to see the Skate Canada men judged by the much stricter NHK judging panel. I definitely feel we would have seen some skaters score 10-15 points less than what they received in Kingston, Ontario.
    This is something similar to what happened at 2010 Canadian Nationals. Chan is the easily the most over scored figure skater in competition today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I just don't get Rippon. Everything is nice and pretty but just feels so vanilla. I found Kevin Reynolds more exciting to watch at SC

It depends on what you like in Figure SKating. But honestly, Adam skates and Kevin doesn't (he is more of a gymnast !).
    Adam Rippon seems adorable and his sating is such a beauty. The only thing is that I find it a bit small (I dunno, lack of speed, lack of amplitude...)
    Anyway, if he is the next big thing, Figure skating has a great future !

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post

It depends on what you like in Figure SKating. But honestly, Adam skates and Kevin doesn't (he is more of a gymnast !).
    Adam Rippon seems adorable and his sating is such a beauty. The only thing is that I find it a bit small (I dunno, lack of speed, lack of amplitude...)
    Anyway, if he is the next big thing, Figure skating has a great future !
    This! Well, mostly I don't find his skating small and amplitude is something he doesn't lack either. He didn't skate as fast as he can at Skate Canada - the crash? Narrower rink? He's by no means the fastest, but I've never thought of him as slow other than into his triple axel which he still stalks a little.

Thanks for the link to his exhibition Sylvia. What absolutely beautiful skating. You can see a little of John Curry in this I think. In his Skating magazine interview he talks about John's influence on his skating. Oh and he has the best landing positions of any of the current men IMO. So beautiful

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I guess it depends on what you like and where you are from. If you are from Canada, you are more likeky to enjoy Kevin Reynolds more than Rippon.

I don't really find either one exciting. I don't like Shawn Swayer either. I like Kozuka and Abott's skating.

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia, for posting that link to Adam’s exhibition. I’m glad he’s found a great coach with whom he seems to have developed a wonderful coach/ skater relationship that is paying dividends in his skating. Adam’s still young and still developing, but I see a clear focus, conviction, purpose, and a distinct sense of joy emanating from his skating. I suppose the purity, clean lines and classical expressiveness of Adam’s approach are reminiscent of John Curry, but for me, Adam like many in the men’s field today, IMO, have also been influenced by Johnny Weir’s smooth, lyrical movement qualities, 3axel technique, beautiful posture on jump landings, and graceful, expressive arm movements. Being influenced and inspired is fine, but it’s those skaters that bring their own unique style, personality and innovativeness to meld with other influences who are the most exciting skaters to watch -- and Adam, IMO, is such a skater.

I had to laugh at Tracy Wilson’s shout out to Adam right after his exhibition performance. Tracy’s tone of voice for me is a bit off-putting, but she’s okay as a commentator, and she was an enjoyable ice dancer to watch in years back. Wonder if her effusive compliment was a bit embarrassing for Adam – likely not I suppose, as he surely sees Tracy all the time at The Cricket Club (does she coach or choreograph there, and/or have a business partnership with Brian Orser?) As I think about it, perhaps Tracy, in part, was trying to make up for the criticisms by some Canadian commentators of Adam during a practice session that was recently posted on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqBl4wWP5YI

These Canadian commentators (don’t know who they all are) did say a few complimentary things about Adam as well, but it was obvious they were in a mood to nitpick. Especially that commentator named Debbie ? (can’t remember her last name). I believe she interviewed some skaters post-skate in the arena. When one of the male commentators started out by saying, “…the greatest threat to Canadian skating may be Brian Orser coaching skaters from other countries…” Well, I guess that says it all.

Doesn’t seem like these commentators or the Skate Canada judges for that matter, see any flaws in Patrick Chan’s skating. Perhaps some of Patrick’s challenges have to do with too much too soon? I’m hopeful that for Adam, slow and steady will win the race.

vCash
    This is the first year I've really noticed him but yes I would say he is a rising star. He was great to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I guess it depends on what you like and where you are from. If you are from Canada, you are more likeky to enjoy Kevin Reynolds more than Rippon.
    I don't really find either one exciting. I don't like Shawn Swayer either. I like Kozuka and Abott's skating.
    That may be true for some - but certainly not for many of us.

I am Canadian and I love love Rippon, Reynolds is not my fave but he is growing on me, would love for Sawyer to get past his roadblocks because I very much enjoy his skating. I also enjoy Kozuka and Abbott quite a bit.

Vaughn Chipeur - not my fave.

Takahashi is my favourite eligible male skater right now.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    This! Well, mostly I don't find his skating small and amplitude is something he doesn't lack either. He didn't skate as fast as he can at Skate Canada - the crash? Narrower rink? He's by no means the fastest, but I've never thought of him as slow other than into his triple axel which he still stalks a little.

Thanks for the link to his exhibition Sylvia. What absolutely beautiful skating. You can see a little of John Curry in this I think. In his Skating magazine interview he talks about John's influence on his skating. Oh and he has the best landing positions of any of the current men IMO. So beautiful
    A little? He stalks that axel as if his life depended on it!

Beyond that, Adam is a very lovely skater but I still think he skates very "young teenage prodigy" to me. Which totally isn't his fault - he IS still very young for men's singles! His taste in choreography, programs, music, and costumes are already very refined so I can't wait to see what he'll come up with when he matures beyond looking like a teenager.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    ... Beyond that, Adam is a very lovely skater but I still think he skates very "young teenage prodigy" to me. Which totally isn't his fault - he IS still very young for men's singles! His taste in choreography, programs, music, and costumes are already very refined so I can't wait to see what he'll come up with when he matures beyond looking like a teenager.
    Prodigy, yes, but I don't think Adam skates all that "young teenage" as you seem to emphasize. Perhaps it's Adam's sweet, angelic face that makes you think of him as being such a "young teenager." As far as skating young, I don't think Adam comes off as skating "juniorish." It takes some young male skaters a long time to develop the level of maturity, refinement, and artistic expression, that IMO, Adam already possesses (albeit budding -- still developing).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Looks like Adam in following in the footsteps of Johnny Weir with respect to his Japanese fans! He was met at the airport and he received a massive flower arrangement from his Japanese Juliets (Adam Rippon Project) similar to those received by Johnny!

http://photozou.jp/photo/show/645140/51830035
    Actually there are (and have been) lots and lots of skaters who have gotten really big attention from Japanese fans, not just Weir.

Adam Rippon´s skating is very enjoyable to watch, but I would not declare him as a new star, at least not yet.
    Last edited by Jaana; 11-02-2010 at 08:59 AM.

vCash
    I found rippon really boring at SC artistically speaking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post

I am Canadian and I love love Rippon, Reynolds is not my fave but he is growing on me, would love for Sawyer to get past his roadblocks because I very much enjoy his skating. I also enjoy Kozuka and Abbott quite a bit.
    I was really impressed with the improvements that Reynolds has made since Four Continents and while I thought I saw the same skater during his SP, his improvements were most evident during the LP and even more so during his exhibition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Actually there are (and have been) lots and lots of skaters who have gotten really big attention from Japanese fans, not just Weir.
    Like who? I want to know!

vCash
    Does anyone have a link to Adam skating to something that is not light and full of violins? Maybe some hard rock?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Prodigy, yes, but I don't think Adam skates all that "young teenage" as you seem to emphasize. Perhaps it's Adam's sweet, angelic face that makes you think of him as being such a "young teenager." As far as skating young, I don't think Adam comes off as skating "juniorish." It takes some young male skaters a long time to develop the level of maturity, refinement, and artistic expression, that IMO, Adam already possesses (albeit budding -- still developing).
    I think it's his delicate build too. He comes off as a high schooler instead of college-age. His movements are also very earnest. It's not earnest like a junior is super! earnest!, but it still reads young to me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast