Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 94
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,888
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16643
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Thanks for the link. Kudos to Adam for handling the questions about Yu Na with grace and for showing a real affection for both Brian and Yu Na. I hope Adam has a great season, I just love his attitude.
    This!!

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    156
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    No, he doesn't. He might be the closest America's got, but he certainly has no star factor. Good skater nonetheless.
    For me, Adam either already has or is further developing all the qualites needed to be a star in the skating world. Hopefully those that aren't big fans yet, will have a change of opinion over the next few years as Adam continues to grow as a skater.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,095
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Amarant View Post
    He is remarkably good looking. Prob. the best looking of the male skaters now. I'm expecting lots of fangirling once he really debuts into the public's eye.
    If you're into twinks, maybe. I'm not a fan of Bel Ami, personally.

    A Bel Ami video, featuring Brezina and Rippon would probably be their biggest hit ever.

  4. #24
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,742
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5719
    I for one love Adam, he's my kind of skater. He's one of the few top men to fully express the music with his whole body, he has gorgeous line and extension and is incredibly musical. He has beautiful spins, good flow and edges, although I don't like his crossovers. But most importantly he skates with honesty IMO. When I watch him I buy it and there's very few skaters who can do that for me.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,095
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    See I totally agree on the lines and extension and he generally is very elegant and has a lot of good qualities.

    I just think he could do much more with the music.

    But I blame David Wilson.

  6. #26
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,742
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5719
    I agree on Wilson. With his ability to really dance, Adam would do so well with Dickson. I'd also be interested to see what he could come up with if he choreographed his own programs. Ditto for Abbott and Cassar.

  7. #27
    JEWELS.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Minor Planet Johnnyweir 12413
    Posts
    11,572
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    With his ability to really dance, Adam would do so well with Dickson. I'd also be interested to see what he could come up with if he choreographed his own programs. Ditto for Abbott and Cassar.
    I'd love to see what Adam's programs would be like with another choreographer. I've seen him do Morozov and Wilson choreo, but it would be great to see someone else's work on him. Maybe he could start with an exhibition piece and go from there...

    I'm really looking forward to his performances at Japan Open.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,928
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I'd also be interested to see what he could come up with if he choreographed his own programs. Ditto for Abbott and Cassar.
    He, along with Molly Oberstar choreographed his Cinema Paradiso Exhibition, which I think is a beautiful piece. However, it doesn't afford him an ability "to dance" per se. Maybe he and Molly will continue to choreograph other programs that are not as lyrical. Personally I disliked his "R U Gonna Be My Girl" exhibition, which I believe was choreographed by David Wilson. There was a short segment of his second footwork sequence within his SP last year that indicated that he probably could indeed dance

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking for cupcakes
    Posts
    30,714
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    14096
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    Rippon has neither the look of Lysacek nor personality of Weir or Bradely. Nonetheless, I think he can be a star soley on the basis of his skating and subtle style reminiscent of Savoie.
    Have you ever talked to him or spent a couple of hours with him? When he was a novice skater, he asked me if he and Austin Kanallakan could sit in the seats next to me since the people who were going to be sitting there would not be present until later in the week. It was pairs short program at US Nationals. He was so excited to be there, told me all about the skaters that he knew from his club.

    And remembered me the next two years when I saw him in the concourse. I get the feeling that he could be star quality of Ryan Bradley when he chooses. But then that is based upon my interactions with him.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jersey of course!
    Posts
    997
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Have you ever talked to him or spent a couple of hours with him? When he was a novice skater, he asked me if he and Austin Kanallakan could sit in the seats next to me since the people who were going to be sitting there would not be present until later in the week. It was pairs short program at US Nationals. He was so excited to be there, told me all about the skaters that he knew from his club.

    And remembered me the next two years when I saw him in the concourse. I get the feeling that he could be star quality of Ryan Bradley when he chooses. But then that is based upon my interactions with him.
    I have heard nothing but positive things from people who have met him in person, so I have no doubt he is a very likable person. I just have hard time imagining him as "cheezeball on ice" a la Bradley or "popstar on ice" Maybe he has it in him or maybe he doesn't. Regardless, I think his skating alone can take him to stardom.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    Posts
    2,424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I for one love Adam, he's my kind of skater. He's one of the few top men to fully express the music with his whole body, he has gorgeous line and extension and is incredibly musical. He has beautiful spins, good flow and edges, although I don't like his crossovers. But most importantly he skates with honesty IMO. When I watch him I buy it and there's very few skaters who can do that for me.
    Thank you floskate for saving the day. I was really upset by a certain poster's entitlement. It's just not appropriate here.

    Anyway, I thought Adam's winning freeskate from Four Continents this year was simply terrific.

    Probably because his performances are so subtle and nuanced, some people miss the maturity he brings to skating. There is such a strength and softness to what Rippon does. His triple lutz variations, back to back, left me speechless, too.

    He has the 'it' factor in spades.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    Posts
    2,424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I agree on Wilson. With his ability to really dance, Adam would do so well with Dickson. I'd also be interested to see what he could come up with if he choreographed his own programs. Ditto for Abbott and Cassar.
    Tom Dickson is a wonderful choreographer, and a great guy. Such passion!

    I particularly love his Astor Piazola skate from the Face the Music tour.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,095
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Thank you floskate for saving the day. I was really upset by a certain poster's entitlement. It's just not appropriate here.
    Oh get over yourself.

    This is FSU, not Adam Rippon ueber fan forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Probably because his performances are so subtle and nuanced, some people miss the maturity he brings to skating. There is such a strength and softness to what Rippon does. His triple lutz variations, back to back, left me speechless, too.

    He has the 'it' factor in spades.
    Come on now, it's one thing to be fond of a skater but where are you getting all this from?

    Yes, his skating is very soft and fluid and lines are quite good but he's a long way off maturity and nuance.

    His posture could be stronger and he doesn't seem to be yet capable of using his whole body to express the music. Which means his programs lack detail and nuance.

    He chooses to skate to quite complex music so there is lots of room for detail. Things like arm/hand/head movements, fully utilising the upper body. I am not seeing it there. There's a lack of transitions as well.

    Of course very few skaters ever manage the above but you make it as if he already possessed those qualities.

    He could be doing much more with the music.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,017
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Oh get over yourself.

    ... He could be doing much more with the music.
    Gosh Ziggy, are you a coach or a skater, or a judge, or just a long-time armchair fan? I doubt that Adam’s many admirers feel there aren’t areas where he can continue to improve and to grow as a skater. For fans to feel that right now Adam is able to express a maturity and sensitivity to the music that not all young skaters possess doesn’t mean that those fans aren’t aware of the fact that it’s a budding maturity and that Adam still has miles to go. The wonderful thing is that Adam too knows how much more he needs to hone his skills and to grow artistically. He’s already accomplished a lot, and he’s poised to accomplish even more. Only time will reveal if Adam can fully deliver on his great promise. Luck is a factor as well as talent, and so many other variables. I wish Adam lots of luck. I know I’ll feel lucky watching him continue to develop. My take: I would refrain from over-critical judgment, as well as over-the-top praise this early in a skater’s career.

    Good to see that you seriously do give Adam some credit, Ziggy. Maybe Brian Orser agrees with some of your detailed critiques of Adam’s skating, and they are working hard to help him meet your high standards. BTW, what music would you like Adam to skate to, Z? Why not send him your ideas. He would probably appreciate your interest and input. Who are your ideal skaters, Ziggy? Is there any program that David Wilson has choreographed that you like? Perhaps there’s something appealing that he did for Buttle or Yu Na? I’m asking out of curiosity, as a lot of people don’t seem to be that enamored of David’s work. Who are your favorite choreographers?


    [QUOTE=Ziggy;2887256]I think the only thing he's got is the "Zzzzzz..." ... QUOTE]

    Gee Ziggy, everybody can’t have your scintillating personality, or Johnny Weir’s “attention-grabbing” way with words and outfits. Here is this remarkable young man, Adam Rippon. He’s kind, articulate, hard-working, and exceptionally talented. He has a good coach, and he says the right things with genuine conviction. Having grown up in a large family, Adam seems quite grounded, polite, as well as politic, yet without any phoniness. What more could the figure skating community want!? Okay... I know you're not the figure skating community. Sooo, what are your thoughts on Patrick Chan? How about Kosuka? Do you like Dai? Dare I ask you about Lysacek vs. Plushenko? Amodio...? Denis Ten...? Or, was Stephane worth waking up for in your view?


    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    ... Rippon has neither the look of Lysacek nor personality of Weir or Bradely...
    Quite rightly, Adam appears to have his own look and personality. We've been gifted with one each of Lysacek, Weir and Bradley ... and now there are other gifts to behold that should not go unnoticed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    ... Kudos to Adam for handling the questions about Yu Na with grace and for showing a real affection for both Brian and Yu Na. I hope Adam has a great season, I just love his attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allisanna View Post
    For me, Adam either already has or is further developing all the qualites needed to be a star in the skating world. Hopefully those that aren't big fans yet, will have a change of opinion over the next few years as Adam continues to grow as a skater.
    ITA

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Oh get over yourself.

    This is FSU, not Adam Rippon ueber fan forum.



    Come on now, it's one thing to be fond of a skater but where are you getting all this from?

    Yes, his skating is very soft and fluid and lines are quite good but he's a long way off maturity and nuance.

    His posture could be stronger and he doesn't seem to be yet capable of using his whole body to express the music. Which means his programs lack detail and nuance.

    He chooses to skate to quite complex music so there is lots of room for detail. Things like arm/hand/head movements, fully utilising the upper body. I am not seeing it there. There's a lack of transitions as well.

    Of course very few skaters ever manage the above but you make it as if he already possessed those qualities.

    He could be doing much more with the music.
    So, posture= detail and nuance? Which parts of his body are inexpressive?

    Define "complex music."

    Lack of transitions? A program does NOT have to have as many transitions as Abbott or Takahashi to be expressive. Rippon is definitely above average in his number of transitions and ability to perform them well. He isn't anywhere near the Johnny Weir school of choreography.

    Do you have any knowledge or background in music or dance? From your description, it sounds as though you don't.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,579
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Gosh Ziggy, are you a coach or a skater, or a judge, or just a long-time armchair fan? I doubt that Adam’s many admirers feel there aren’t areas where he can continue to improve and to grow as a skater. For fans to feel that right now Adam is able to express a maturity and sensitivity to the music that not all young skaters possess doesn’t mean that those fans aren’t aware of the fact that it’s a budding maturity and that Adam still has miles to go. The wonderful thing is that Adam too knows how much more he needs to hone his skills and to grow artistically. He’s already accomplished a lot, and he’s poised to accomplish even more. Only time will reveal if Adam can fully deliver on his great promise. Luck is a factor as well as talent, and so many other variables. I wish Adam lots of luck. I know I’ll feel lucky watching him continue to develop. My take: I would refrain from over-critical judgment, as well as over-the-top praise this early in a skater’s career.

    Good to see that you seriously do give Adam some credit, Ziggy. Maybe Brian Orser agrees with some of your detailed critiques of Adam’s skating, and they are working hard to help him meet your high standards. BTW, what music would you like Adam to skate to, Z? Why not send him your ideas. He would probably appreciate your interest and input. Who are your ideal skaters, Ziggy? Is there any program that David Wilson has choreographed that you like? Perhaps there’s something appealing that he did for Buttle or Yu Na? I’m asking out of curiosity, as a lot of people don’t seem to be that enamored of David’s work. Who are your favorite choreographers?



    Thank you, aftershocks. I couldn't have stated this better. One of the most thoughtful, intelligent insights in this whole thread.

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,888
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16643
    Ziggy, what skaters do you like?
    I would really like to know.

  18. #38
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,742
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5719
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    So, posture= detail and nuance? Which parts of his body are inexpressive?

    Define "complex music."

    Lack of transitions? A program does NOT have to have as many transitions as Abbott or Takahashi to be expressive. Rippon is definitely above average in his number of transitions and ability to perform them well. He isn't anywhere near the Johnny Weir school of choreography.

    Do you have any knowledge or background in music or dance? From your description, it sounds as though you don't.
    This. I come from a background in Performing Arts. I trained professionally, worked professionally and now teach dance, musical theatre and singing as well as choreograph a lot of material for my students so I DO know what I'm talking about. Adam absolutely has total full body musical expression within the style in which he skates . All this talk about who has good upper body expression always amuses me. What exactly are people looking for when they talk about this?

    If you look at his programs from last season, you will see numerous examples where he fully utilises his upper body to the extent that his centre of gravity completely shifts making the skating much more difficult . Hardly any of the top men do this so I don't see where all the comparisons to un-named skaters with miraculous upper body movement are coming from. Who are these miracle movers?????

    Adam has much to improve on, not least - for me at any rate as I have already mentioned - his crossovers which do grate, but the rest of his skating is developing so nicely. And there is nothing wrong with admiring and appreciating what he does well, now. Adam has superior extension to most men currently competing, excellent awareness of line, posture, epaulement, whole body alignment etc. He has excellent turnout for a boy which allows him so much more mobility without ever sacrificing placement for extension. This is very rare in any skater and should be enjoyed. Do I need to go on?

    I do agree that his choreography from Wilson doesn't stretch him to the artistic level it could, but then sacrifices will always have to be made for consitency in this sport under this system. I'm sure as Adam becomes more comfortable with his technical content, that we will see things like transitions increase in difficulty.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    This. I come from a background in Performing Arts. I trained professionally, worked professionally and now teach dance, musical theatre and singing as well as choreograph a lot of material for my students so I DO know what I'm talking about. Adam absolutely has total full body musical expression within the style in which he skates . All this talk about who has good upper body expression always amuses me. What exactly are people looking for when they talk about this?

    If you look at his programs from last season, you will see numerous examples where he fully utilises his upper body to the extent that his centre of gravity completely shifts making the skating much more difficult . Hardly any of the top men do this so I don't see where all the comparisons to un-named skaters with miraculous upper body movement are coming from. Who are these miracle movers?????

    Adam has much to improve on, not least - for me at any rate as I have already mentioned - his crossovers which do grate, but the rest of his skating is developing so nicely. And there is nothing wrong with admiring and appreciating what he does well, now. Adam has superior extension to most men currently competing, excellent awareness of line, posture, epaulement, whole body alignment etc. He has excellent turnout for a boy which allows him so much more mobility without ever sacrificing placement for extension. This is very rare in any skater and should be enjoyed. Do I need to go on?

    I do agree that his choreography from Wilson doesn't stretch him to the artistic level it could, but then sacrifices will always have to be made for consitency in this sport under this system. I'm sure as Adam becomes more comfortable with his technical content, that we will see things like transitions increase in difficulty.
    I know what you mean. I have three degrees in classical music performance and play professionally in two symphony orchestras, and it always makes me giggle to see what some people think does and doesn't express the music. They think anything that goes "boom" is a crescendo and make vague, unintelligible descriptions about a piece of music, or its choreography because they don't have any kind of musical lexicon to draw from. I don't think anyone should be afraid to share their opinions just because they don't have a lot of experience, but what bothers me is when a post will take on an authoritative tone that is totally unwarranted given the poster's complete lack of musical knowledge.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    186
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Rippon just scored 166.63 and won the Men's free skate at the Japan Open. If anyone caught the online tv stream it was amazing!
    I have been following the Orser - Kim saga and I have come to the conclusion that either Rippon is the hardest working skater out there or Orser is a great coach. He looked so much more mature, his stroking was smooth, jumps bigger and solid spot on triple axels. It was different not a typical Wilson smooth and flowing program and he sold it. I was impressed, the straight line is...!!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •