Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Adam Rippon Has "It"

A really nice interview on Lifeskate with Adam Rippon. According to David Barba and James Pellerito, when asked who was likely to be the next big US skating star, they both were impressed with Adam and said he had "it". Topics include:
    • The impact of the Orser Kim breakup
    • His new programs
    • How Morosov and Orser are different, or not
    • The evolution of the Rippon Lutz

http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/2010/...-big-star.html
    Last edited by sk9tingfan; 09-26-2010 at 06:15 PM.

vCash
    The questioner could have been a little more detailed in the question of "figure skating-athletic or artistry?" His answer was the best it could have been under that question! Like in mens skating does doing a quad make doing less complicated choreo acceptable? Is it better to do a lot of choreo and put the jump ceiling at triple? Who deserved to win the 2010 Olympics Lysacek or Plushenko? LOL!

Thanks for the link to this interview! Hope to see a Rippon Lutz after a quad!

vCash
    I love his answer though!
    "Figure skating is so unique that if you aren't athletic, you can't be artistic. I feel that you have to skate as a performer, but at the same time be so finely trained as an athlete. To skate effortlessly is incredibly difficult and only someone who has trained endlessly can give you the impression that what they are doing is easy."

vCash
    Thanks for sharing the link!

Rippon's fans might also be glad to know that he will be the featured cover story in the upcoming October issue of SKATING magazine.

vCash
    I love Rippon and hope he has a great season!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    I love his answer though!
    "Figure skating is so unique that if you aren't athletic, you can't be artistic. I feel that you have to skate as a performer, but at the same time be so finely trained as an athlete. To skate effortlessly is incredibly difficult and only someone who has trained endlessly can give you the impression that what they are doing is easy."

Yep, great answer. IMO, there really are no "sides" to fall on, as the interviewer suggested. The ultimate challenge, goal, essence of figure skating is to master technique and to meld athleticism with artistry. Like Adam said, you have to be an athlete first before you can truly be an artist in figure skating.

vCash
    I just love this guy more and more... He sems to have both his head and heart in a right place.

vCash

Universal Sports Interview with Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks for sharing the link!

Rippon's fans might also be glad to know that he will be the featured cover story in the upcoming October issue of SKATING magazine.
    Just posted out on Twitter; notice of Universal Sports' interview with Adam. Boy, he is firing on all cylinders! I just hope that this doesn't make him nervous with respect to expectations!

http://www.universalsports.com/news/...id=493413.html

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I just love this guy more and more... He sems to have both his head and heart in a right place.
    A perfect balance to be sure...

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Thanks for the link. Kudos to Adam for handling the questions about Yu Na with grace and for showing a real affection for both Brian and Yu Na. I hope Adam has a great season, I just love his attitude.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    "What was your relationship with Yu-Na Kim like? I've read so much about her mom too -- did you interact with her on some level or did she mainly stay out of sight?

AR: Yu-Na and I were very close last year and it was such a great and exciting experience to train with someone who would later go on to win the Olympics. Her mother never said too much to me but she was always very polite. I hope that they are enjoying LA and wish them all the best. "

It may be just my read, but the "were very close last year" and "wish them all the best" sounds like there isn't too much of a friendship any longer. Very polite, but some distance, rather like someone working hard to be really polite after a divorce.
    Last edited by barbk; 09-27-2010 at 11:20 PM.

vCash
    I think the only thing he's got is the "Zzzzzz..."

On a more serious note, Rippon has some very good qualities (the 3lutz with both arms aloft is extremely impressive) and I wish that they could be channelled in a better way. Not impressed with what Wilson has been doing for him so far.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Ouch. Tell us what you really think.

Ziggy, if they ever decide to recast the original Cutting Edge movie, you'd be perfect as Kate Mosely.

vCash
    I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

vCash

Well, you can always use videotapes of his skating as a sleeping-pill.

vCash
    Thanks for the links. I really like Adam's skating and hope he has a great season and beyond. Definitely one of the US eligible skaters I'm pulling for the most.

vCash
    No, he doesn't. He might be the closest America's got, but he certainly has no star factor. Good skater nonetheless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    No, he doesn't. He might be the closest America's got, but he certainly has no star factor. Good skater nonetheless.
    It's all a matter of opinion. There are many both within as well as outside of the US who think that he's just great. My question to you is, have you ever seen him skate live in Korea? I have at Festa in 2009, and saw over the course of three days how someone could go from a complete unknown to a figure skating star with a cacaphony of screams. He also has a significant following in Japan, Russia and Central Europe. We all can't be wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    It's all a matter of opinion. There are many both within as well as outside of the US who think that he's just great. My question to you is, have you ever seen him skate live in Korea? I have at Festa in 2009, and saw over the course of three days how someone could go from a complete unknown to a figure skating star with a cacaphony of screams. He also has a significant following in Japan, Russia and Central Europe. We all can't be wrong.
    They will cheer for a piece of wood gliding on the ice. I see where TD is coming from. Rippon has neither the look of Lysacek nor personality of Weir or Bradely. Nonetheless, I think he can be a star soley on the basis of his skating and subtle style reminiscent of Savoie.

vCash
    He is remarkably good looking. Prob. the best looking of the male skaters now. I'm expecting lots of fangirling once he really debuts into the public's eye.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast