Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    I used Cascade for the dishwasher, and Dawn for the "hand dishes" religiously for years. Then Dawn switched to that awful new bottle that I can't hang on to when my hands are wet, so I switched to the local generic store brand. Then when Cascade started adding that "with Dawn added" feature (I use the liquid detergent), I noticed the gel-like consistancey turned to water consistancy after opening it, and didn't clean very well, so I switched to the local generic brand for that too.

I noticed the dishes weren't as clear and clean as I'd remembered, and wondered if it was because of the cheap brand. Now I figure I'm in the same boat as everyone else, that it's just the formula. Glad to know, switching to yet another brand is bothersome too, cause I don't really want to experiment with so many brands.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Well, sure, but for a family of five? I have a family of four and it's a very rare day that the dishwasher isn't completely full after dinner. When it isn't, I wait until the breakfast stuff goes in there (and it usually won't all fit) and run it in the morning instead. And I don't use special serving dishes, special forks or anything like that, either.

The article I linked goes into quite a bit of detail about why it is almost (but not entirely) impossible to use less water washing by hand.
    Right, but not every household contains a family of five. Obviously you'd need way more servingware than we do.....

vCash
    ? I have a family of four and it's a very rare day that the dishwasher isn't completely full after dinner. When it isn't, I wait until the breakfast stuff goes in there (and it usually won't all fit) and run it in the morning instead. And I don't use special serving dishes, special forks or anything like that, either.

The article I linked goes into quite a bit of detail about why it is almost (but not entirely) impossible to use less water washing by hand.
    I am a bit confused about where the food these people are eating is coming from if they only have a couple of plates and forks to wash after a meal. Since I cook everything from scratch, there are knives, pans, spoons, spatulas, baking dishes, mixing bowls, etc... that also need washed. (And I don't always put my pans in the dishwasher, but sometimes I do because I am lazy)

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Thanks! I noticed my dishes had almost like a film over them beginning a couple of months ago. I knew we bought the same detergent but couldn't figure out what was going on. Maybe this is the answer!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Right, but not every household contains a family of five. Obviously you'd need way more servingware than we do.....
    Right, but I was responding to orbitz's post saying that any family of five or less should handwash dishes because it is more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I am a bit confused about where the food these people are eating is coming from if they only have a couple of plates and forks to wash after a meal. Since I cook everything from scratch, there are knives, pans, spoons, spatulas, baking dishes, mixing bowls, etc... that also need washed. (And I don't always put my pans in the dishwasher, but sometimes I do because I am lazy)
    I don't know what anyone else does, but left to my own devices, I would eat sandwiches, yogurt, fruit, cheese, bread and cereal most of the time, and wouldn't have many dishes to clean. When it was just my husband and me, we didn't have a dishwasher and there were days where we didn't have a lot of dishes--although I cooked quite a bit even then and so there it was pretty rare to just have a couple of plates and things.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I just switched to Finish Gel Packs and notice that my dishes are actually squeaky clean. We have very hard water where we live and for the first time in a long time my glasses aren't coming out foggy. I've been adding Glass Magic to the wash and it really helps cut the hard water stains.

vCash
    Right, but I was responding to orbitz's post saying that any family of five or less should handwash dishes because it is more efficient.

I don't know what anyone else does, but left to my own devices, I would eat sandwiches, yogurt, fruit, cheese, bread and cereal most of the time, and wouldn't have many dishes to clean. When it was just my husband and me, we didn't have a dishwasher and there were days where we didn't have a lot of dishes--although I cooked quite a bit even then and so there it was pretty rare to just have a couple of plates and things.
    I make nearly everything from scratch, that takes dishes. But it is much cheaper on the grocery bill.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Some NY Times readers have said that Seventh Generation (an eco-friendly brand) is great - anyone use it? I think I will try it next.
    That's what I use and it seems to work fine.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I just switched to Finish Gel Packs and notice that my dishes are actually squeaky clean. We have very hard water where we live and for the first time in a long time my glasses aren't coming out foggy.
    That may be the key, because I've also had very good luck with Finish (and with Electrosol before it) and we also have very hard water. We had to throw out our drinking glasses because they were so foggy when I used Cascade, but so far, so good with Finish.

Does anyone use Dishwasher Magic? I've been using it once a month or so because of our hard water, and I've been thinking of using it more often. But it's kinda pricey.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I make nearly everything from scratch, that takes dishes. But it is much cheaper on the grocery bill.
    And healthier!

vCash
    I live alone and I run the dishwasher once a week or so, unless I have company and fill it up faster. Sometimes I'll soak dishes or give them a quick rinse first if food is stuck on.

I had been using a store brand powder recently and not getting very good results. Plus the powder is caked in the box and won't shake out, so I think I'll just throw that box away half full.

I switched to an eco-brand (Seventh Generation?) powder I also already had under my sink. That seems to have done a better job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I had been using a store brand powder recently and not getting very good results. Plus the powder is caked in the box and won't shake out, so I think I'll just throw that box away half full.
    I wasn't happy with the initial results from my new dishwasher (a mid-priced, well-reviewed model), so I checked the user guide. The booklet specifically warns about old detergent (and mine was guite old). I bought a new box, and things are definitely looking up. I think I'll go back to not pre-rinsing dishes unless they have a lot of stuck-on food.

The newer dishwashers definitely require rinse agents for proper drying.

vCash
    The stuff you learn at FSU! We've been unhappy with our dishwasher for months, we've had a repairman come in to look at it, but it didn't get much better, we've only been putting dishes on the lower rack because stuff on top wasn't getting clean. We were resigned to buying a new dishwasher asap.

Last week we switched to the Finish Powerballs, and after a half dozen cycles, our dishwasher is back!

So where do I send the cheque for the great advice, to say thanks for the money saved?
    With glowing hearts / Des plus brillants exploits.

vCash
    I switched to the Finish powerballs and/or gelpacks about three years ago because they were on sale. We noticed immediately that things were cleaner. We used to use Cascade, and the pan we make tea in would never come clean-it always had the brown stains on it. One wash with Finish (it was Electrasol then) and it worked like a charm. There's usually coupons in the paper for it about once a month. If you are in the southern US, it is buy one get one at Publix this week.

Prancer, I use that Dishwasher Magic once in a while, or I use the Finish cleaner - just depends which coupon I have and if one is on sale. Vinegar works well when I don't want to shell out the $3 for the cleaner. Maybe you could do a vinegar rinse in between the cleaner?

vCash
    I hadn't noticed anything, but then my anal-retentive side has sort of diminished with a family, house, two hairy dogs, etc.

I DEFINITELY have seen a difference since we installed a water softener years ago. The house we moved into 5 years ago was only 10 years old and many of the faucets & showerheads were very screwed up by the hard water scale/scum, such that they had to be replaced. Have not had the problem since we put in the water softener. This might help some of you with hard water (although yeah, it's a big upfront expense) more than different dishwashing liquids.

The REAL moral dilemma I face, though, is: when I have more groceries than can fit in my cloth shopping bags: paper or plastic? I seriously still agonize over this! Kill a tree, or feed our screwy petroleum products industry?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Paper.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Boy, I wish I would have opened this thread earlier! I stopped using my dishwasher a couple of months ago because the dishes kept coming out cloudy with spots or a white powdery film on them (I was using Cascade power packs). I tried cleaning the dishwasher a few times, to no avail. I finally came to the conclusion that the machine was just not working well, even though it is only a few years old. I am going to look for Finish tomorrow and try that. Thanks a lot for this information!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123