Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

But, It Was For My Mommy!" (Top Chef: Just Desserts)

I have never seen anyone have a complete meltdown like they showed last night! Seth does not need to be in a kitchen with sharp knives.

vCash
    I wondered why Seth was cast. He is so "troubled" that it's hard to see if he has any ability.
    The other contestants shouldn't have to deal with his issues, in addition to the pressures of competing, themselves.

vCash
    We're having a bit of a discussion over at FORT. Something about his inability to switch gears and his social interactions is making me think he might be on the Asperger's continuum. If so, shame on the producers for casting him.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    We're having a bit of a discussion over at FORT. Something about his inability to switch gears and his social interactions is making me think he might be on the Asperger's continuum. If so, shame on the producers for casting him.
    ITA.

Was really sad about the elimination.

vCash
    Just bumping this up--to that they FINALLY find a way to do a fashion challenge on Top Chef, and PR is on freaking Lifetime.

Why couldn't they have made edible clothing as a joint collaboration/challenge thingy between Top Chef and Project Runway when they were both on the same channel? Oh, the specials and the snarkiness that could have been had...with knives! Just imagine Marcel and Gretchen...
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I like this show but I have never seen such a cast of NUTS! People are forever having meltdowns, quitting, passing out from anxiety, getting kicked off, etc. I hope that next season they focus on casting for TALENT and not to bring in the drama.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I call BS that Zac didn't win this challenge. His dress was more difficult and detailed and executed just as well as Morgans. And I'd be surprised if Morgan's was wearable like Zac's.

I also like the size and shapes of Zac's petit fours better than Morgans, as well as the flavors, but that's just a personal preference I guess. I thought Zac's were more technically demanding as well.

And yes Jayar, I can back up a technical opinion of pastry and chocolate technique. :-P

Poster of Pet Vines
    Guess: StirRapidly+Anti+LargestHumanOrgan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    And yes Jayar, I can back up a technical opinion of pastry and chocolate technique. :-P
    Yes, but do you look better than Jayar in an edible dress?
    Sit vis nobiscum.
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

vCash
    I call BS that Zac didn't win this challenge. His dress was more difficult and detailed and executed just as well as Morgans. And I'd be surprised if Morgan's was wearable like Zac's.

I also like the size and shapes of Zac's petit fours better than Morgans, as well as the flavors, but that's just a personal preference I guess. I thought Zac's were more technically demanding as well.

Looks are one thing, but were you actually there to taste anything? Zac may have had more interesting flavors on paper, but Morgan may have had better texture and pulled off his flavors better.

vCash
    That is entirely possible.

vCash
    That is entirely possible.
    I thought the top 3 were so far ahead of the others, actually, that I would have been OK no matter who won. Some of the also-rans were just WTF.

vCash
    I was laughing at Morgan and his (seemingly) intense shoe fetish.

vCash
    I do agree the Top 3 were close enough to justify the winners, but I thought that the execution and difficulty level of Zac's should have put him at a slight edge over the other two, and his petit fours did tie into the dress.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Mrs. Reuven tutored Zac for his bar mitzvah. He hasn’t changed, he always seems to be having a great time.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I like this show but I have never seen such a cast of NUTS! People are forever having meltdowns, quitting, passing out from anxiety, getting kicked off, etc. I hope that next season they focus on casting for TALENT and not to bring in the drama.
    According to my sister, ALL pastry chefs are like that. Of course, she's uber-snob savory chef, so she's biased. BTW, Seth was on an episode of Chopped, and he was definitely an arrogant asshat on that show too, but there was no indication that he was insane momma's boy, so I'm going to give the producers a pass on casting him. If he got through one network and had TV experience on his CV, then they probably didn't think, hmmm, maybe this guy will break down over grapefruit juice and plastic cups.

I like Morgan OK, but I think he's trying too hard to be the "straight guy" to the point of thou protest too much. He gets a little less attractive each time he opens his mouth, but he hasn't totally lost his appeal to me (yet).

Zac's also too much I think playing to a charicature, and Heather H. needs to get over herself. SHE wanted to do that damn sculpture, and she wanted to do it by herself. It's on tape. And it's not like Morgan decided who won; the judges did. He didn't personally cost her the win--she cost herself the win by focusing more on the sculpture than the dessert. I'm with her on the finding guys that refer to all girls as "honey" or "baby" annoying, but her reaction is still over the top and has less to do with her being genuinely offended and more to do with him winning again and her being on the bottom.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Looks are one thing, but were you actually there to taste anything? Zac may have had more interesting flavors on paper, but Morgan may have had better texture and pulled off his flavors better.
    yes, didn't Johnny say that one of Zac's ended up being kind of grainy?

vCash
    I was really looking forward to this show, but it's been too much and not enough baking. I gave up on it with the glee/cheer stuff. The lady who quit will probably turn out to be the real winner, she left the nuthouse.

vCash
    Rewatching the episode. Yeah, Zac's ganache was a little grainy according to JI. My guess would be his chocolate didn't properly temper properly (it's a bit of a process to do, and not the easiest thing, for the most part, you just have to kind of guess if it is actually tempered or not. There are a few tells, but even then they aren't always full proof). It is noticeable in the final product if it did or did not temper though.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    Mrs. Reuven tutored Zac for his bar mitzvah.
    That must have been fun. Zac always has that little twinkle in his eye .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Who will win? Yigit, possibly the only likeable character on the show? Manly manliest of manly men Morganza? Or, will the winner be, it came from planet Danielle!

Odds on Morgan and Zac shagging sometime after the end of the show, or Morgan trying to shag Zac and Zac running away begging Yigit to protect him from the big butchy man?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast