Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 86
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    It's always seemed to me that the more secure one is in their OWN religion, the less they are disturbed by what anyone else is doing....
    Personally, I don't think there's anything un-Christian about the physical side of yoga minus the meditation and so forth, and that's how a lot of Christians practice it.

    However, I think there's a flaw in Kasey's statement as a general principle (no offense, Kasey). A person in a teaching/leadership position in a denomination or religion -- and president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary is considered such a position -- is hardly supposed to just sit around being "secure in their own religion." By definition, the position entails being concerned about the souls of others and offering guidance to one's fellow believers. One doesn't get appointed or hired as a religious leader just to contemplate one's own soul.

    It's the same in the majority of religions, I believe. A priest, a rabbi, an imam . . . that sounds like I'm setting up a "walked into a bar" joke. But seriously, all these leaders are expected to teach their followers and be concerned about what they're doing.

    To use an admittedly extreme example, one would think that the Catholic bishops who gave a pass to child-molesting priests were pretty secure in their faith, but the entire world would have been better off if they had been a little disturbed by what others were doing, and stood up and said, "This is NOT acceptable and it will not go on."

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    ...raising the question why people are bothered by what this Seminary president is doing and saying...
    Good point. Mohler said this to Christians. If you're not a Christian, why let it get to you?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,749
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    On a side note, does anyone else find that yoga so does NOT live up to its reputation as gentle and effective exercise? I went to postnatal yoga class this week. Generally, the idea was to get into a muscle straining and painful position, then use one's breathing to learn to like said position. Give me the elliptical machine and circuit training any day.
    I did yoga for about 20 weeks a couple of years ago with walking on the off days. I really saw no progress in muscle tone, etc...This year I tried ballet once a week and biking once or twice a week. I've seen major improvements in strength, flexibility and muscle tone that I never saw from yoga--and in half the time. Plus ballet class is fun and a bit social rather than silent. Working from home and doing school online--I need something fun not an hour of more silence. (And, for the record, I talked SiL into trying yoga with me two years ago, but now the story on her studio website is that it was "prescribed by her herbalist for stress"--so apparently, I am an herbalist. I'm still waiting to get paid for that "prescription").

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Isla Tortuga, Thailand
    Age
    32
    Posts
    13,327
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    It's always seemed to me that the more secure one is in their OWN skin, the less they are disturbed by what anyone else is doing....

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    849
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ I can agree with that sentiment when it comes to Yoga, but unfortunately I cannot agree when it comes to Christianity. Not in this country, at least. Until some Christians stop forcing their ideals down other people's throats, they are disturbing me and millions of people no matter how secure we are.

  5. #25
    AYS's snark-sponge
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    in the Bobrova & Soloviev Fan Clubhouse
    Posts
    41,906
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30529
    Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post
    ^ I can agree with that sentiment when it comes to Yoga, but unfortunately I cannot agree when it comes to Christianity. Not in this country, at least. Until some Christians stop forcing their ideals down other people's throats, they are disturbing me and millions of people no matter how secure we are.
    what country do you live in?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

  6. #26
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,386
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    25256
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    One doesn't get appointed or hired as a religious leader just to contemplate one's own soul.
    Maybe the world would be a better place if they did.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,935
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44601
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    ...raising the question why people are bothered by what this Seminary president is doing and saying...
    Not bothered by it. Just amused.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Land of Unrealistic Assumptions
    Posts
    4,601
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5144
    Seems to me that the whole "condemn any faith that isn't ours" is a pretty un-Christian attitude.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    492
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I do yoga twice a week. It has improved my overall health, made my skating stronger and made me more able to handle stressful situations by using the breath (i.e., I was able to do a head MRI sober/not on lalaland pills).

    I have done yoga in churches as well. The church didn't appear to burn down. In fact, the only church that I've been in that ever burnt down, to my knowledge, was the one I married my first husband in, LOL.

    My main studio is very conscious of peoples' views. They always say something to the effect of "say Namaste if that's right for you," "OM if you want to," blah blah. Chakras are discussed, but more as a way of describing how different parts of the body react to poses vs. religious viewpoints.

  10. #30
    OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    To use an admittedly extreme example, one would think that the Catholic bishops who gave a pass to child-molesting priests were pretty secure in their faith, but the entire world would have been better off if they had been a little disturbed by what others were doing, and stood up and said, "This is NOT acceptable and it will not go on."
    Are you even serious? That's what you think would be an example of what Kasey said? Kasey meant being secure in your faith and not worrying about other religions and/or another path to God one might have. The last time I checked child molestation is not a religion, and Catholic priests are part of the Catholic religion, so the Catholic bishops better be disturbed when priests are committing a crime.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    But Mohler wasn't talking to members of other religions. He was talking to his fellow Christians.

    I did say it was an extreme example. But if one is going to argue that religious leaders should never tell their followers what they should or shouldn't do, then one should realize that viewpoint might entail when taken all the way to its logical conclusion.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  12. #32

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33547
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    On a side note, does anyone else find that yoga so does NOT live up to its reputation as gentle and effective exercise? I went to postnatal yoga class this week. Generally, the idea was to get into a muscle straining and painful position, then use one's breathing to learn to like said position. Give me the elliptical machine and circuit training any day.
    You should NOT be straining and holding positions that are painful! When I took yoga classes, we were told to go to positions that were a little bit further than we could easily attain (i.e. feeling a bit of stretch and pull, but definitely not to the point of pain). Breathing helped with mild discomfort, but we weren't supposed to continue the position if we actually experienced pain. With each session I was able to go further towards the complete position; it was a gradual process, but by the end of several months my flexibility had greatly increased and I was able to hold positions for a much longer time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    I do yoga twice a week. It has improved my overall health, made my skating stronger and made me more able to handle stressful situations by using the breath (i.e., I was able to do a head MRI sober/not on lalaland pills).
    That was the greatest benefit from yoga for me -- the mental/emotional improvement in being able to handle stressful situations without "stressing out." I felt more balanced overall.
    My main studio is very conscious of peoples' views. They always say something to the effect of "say Namaste if that's right for you," "OM if you want to," blah blah. Chakras are discussed, but more as a way of describing how different parts of the body react to poses vs. religious viewpoints.
    That has been my experience as well. I'm sure there are yoga zealots out there (as PD's SIL seems to be), just like with every religion. I'm glad that I haven't encountered any so far.

  13. #33

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33547
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    But if one is going to argue that religious leaders should never tell their followers what they should or shouldn't do, then one should realize that viewpoint might entail when taken all the way to its logical conclusion.
    They'd all become UU's and decide for themselves what to believe about whether yoga (or dancing or a glass of wine) was "dangerous" or not?

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,749
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I'm sure there are yoga zealots out there (as PD's SIL seems to be), just like with every religion. I'm glad that I haven't encountered any so far.
    And I'm sure her type is what spurred this declaration. That was my point. And, of course, she is a zealot for anything she takes up. And none of them last for more than a year, so she's probably almost done with yoga. Then there will be the nightmare of the fact that she turned her business upside down in order to teach yoga.

  15. #35
    AYS's snark-sponge
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    in the Bobrova & Soloviev Fan Clubhouse
    Posts
    41,906
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30529
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    ... I'm sure there are yoga zealots out there (as PD's SIL seems to be), just like with every religion. I'm glad that I haven't encountered any so far.
    sorry, this confused me, is yoga a religion or not?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kanada
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,056
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    On a side note, does anyone else find that yoga so does NOT live up to its reputation as gentle and effective exercise? I went to postnatal yoga class this week. Generally, the idea was to get into a muscle straining and painful position, then use one's breathing to learn to like said position. Give me the elliptical machine and circuit training any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    You should NOT be straining and holding positions that are painful! When I took yoga classes, we were told to go to positions that were a little bit further than we could easily attain (i.e. feeling a bit of stretch and pull, but definitely not to the point of pain). Breathing helped with mild discomfort, but we weren't supposed to continue the position if we actually experienced pain.
    Yep, that's how my teachers always approached it, too. They always said we should push to the point of discomfort, but not pain. Breathe through the discomfort, etc.

    It also depends a lot on what kind of yoga you're doing. I used to mainly practice Ashtanga, which is a bit more athletic than some other styles. Yin was slow but intense, to get into deep muscle tissue, and yin/yang was a combination of both...starting with deep, slow poses, moving into some Ashtanga-based flow combos, and ending with shivasana.

    I did yoga regularly for about a year, and while I didn't see a lot of visible change in my muscle tone, I definitely felt stronger, and have never been so flexible in my entire life. I also really enjoyed the mental cleansing aspect of it.

  17. #37

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33547
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    sorry, this confused me, is yoga a religion or not?
    It can be a spiritual practice -- for some, it is. This thread has not really discussed all the various types of yoga that exist -- within Hinduism there are several major branches and its meditative practices can be found in Buddhism and Jainism. As for being a "religion" in and of itself, I don't believe you would call it such (which is why I didn't say "as with every other religion"). Others may have a much better explanation for you.

  18. #38
    OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    But Mohler wasn't talking to members of other religions. He was talking to his fellow Christians.
    No one disputed that. I don't why he'd be talking to members of other religions. He's afraid yoga could threaten Christianity.

    I did say it was an extreme example. But if one is going to argue that religious leaders should never tell their followers what they should or shouldn't do, then one should realize that viewpoint might entail when taken all the way to its logical conclusion.
    "If one is going to argue that religious leaders should never tell their followers what they should or shouldn't do..." I don't know what you're talking about, but certainly not about what Kasey said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    It's always seemed to me that the more secure one is in their OWN religion, the less they are disturbed by what anyone else is doing....
    Which only proves my point. Nothing of what you said had much to do with what Kasey said, let alone was a logical conclusion of it.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    My point is that Mohler is not worrying about other religions, as you put it above. He's concerned about members of his own religion possibly being lured to another religion. Which, for a religious leader, is a perfectly valid concern, even if in this particular case he might be overreacting. If a Christian leader believes Christ's words that "No one comes to the Father except through me," then he's going to want to make sure that his fellow Christians stay committed to Christ, for their own sake.

    Now of course we could argue all day long over whether Christ's words are true. But that's not the point at issue here.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8583
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    My point is that Mohler is not worrying about other religions, as you put it above. He's concerned about members of his own religion possibly being lured to another religion. Which, for a religious leader, is a perfectly valid concern, even if in this particular case he might be overreacting. If a Christian leader believes Christ's words that "No one comes to the Father except through me," then he's going to want to make sure that his fellow Christians stay committed to Christ, for their own sake.

    Now of course we could argue all day long over whether Christ's words are true. But that's not the point at issue here.
    Well we could also argue all day about what Jesus meant by that statement.
    What would Jenny do?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •