Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    And I think that it really does matter how the instructor chooses to teach yoga and what they believe about it. I don't think it is wrong for people to feel that attending a yoga class where they are going to have a type of spirituality that they do not believe in or agree with preached at them is uncomfortable. I'm guessing most of the people here who are so dismissive of anyone's discomfort about that sort of thing would not enjoy going to a fitness class where Bible verses were interspersed into the workout.
    Have people here been dismissive of anyone's discomfort about a particular type of yoga class or instructor? I've read people objecting to blanket generalizations about yoga (especially negative ones), but not discounting people's reactions to particular aspects of if.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    I would expect any good instructor to provide an alternate skill for beginners that builds towards the ultimate goal of the more challenging pose. Not just "try this and if you fall, it's okay."
    Sometimes an alternate skill is available, and sometimes it is not. For some poses you have to try and fail until suddenly you succeed and you're not even sure why Not suggesting a good instructor should encourage a student to injure oneself. Losing balance is not the same thing as falling. You can fall out of a pose without falling onto your butt on the floor. If you feel like you are losing balance, just put your foot down or otherwise come out of the pose.

Having said that, I don't think a good instructor should insist you try anything, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Karina didn't feel comfortable trying that pose, and that is a reasonable response for a student to have. I'm just saying that in a typical yoga class, an instructor is going to mix it up with some easy stuff and some challenging stuff.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I disagree, I think it absolutely improves stamina and helps in losing fat. It builds muscle, especially core muscle strength.
    I build muscles but I doubt I'm losing any fat. And since my heart rate doesn't really go up, I don't see how many stamina can improve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    I build muscles but I doubt I'm losing any fat. And since my heart rate doesn't really go up, I don't see how many stamina can improve.
    I think it depends on the type of yoga you do. Just an FYI, when you build muscle, you burn calories faster (even when resting). And the stronger you are, the more stamina you have. Of course, if you exercise and eat high fat foods, you will not lose the fat you want. But that is true with any exercise.

I don't just do yoga. I also walk 2-3 miles a day, for cardio. All exercise programs should combine cardio and muscle building.

As for ballet, most dancers do Pilates, which is very similar to yoga in the way it slowly stretches and builds muscle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I think it depends on the type of yoga you do. Just an FYI, when you build muscle, you burn calories faster (even when resting). And the stronger you are, the more stamina you have. Of course, if you exercise and eat high fat foods, you will not lose the fat you want. But that is true with any exercise.

I don't just do yoga. I also walk 2-3 miles a day, for cardio. All exercise programs should combine cardio and muscle building.

As for ballet, most dancers do Pilates, which is very similar to yoga in the way it slowly stretches and builds muscle.
    Prove to me that you can get the same heart rate as you can get when going for a run

Healthy food is a precondition to get proper results, at least for me.

Anyway, what you said above is way I see yoga as a supplement but definitely not the only form of excercise that should be done. (However, better yoga only than nothing at all )

I also do Pilates and just like Yoga I find it helpful for the ballet classes.

But none of these help me with my stamina, that's why I go running a few times a week or do body toning and similar classes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    Prove to me that you can get the same heart rate as you can get when going for a run
    I can't run anymore, it bothers my hips - I'm 57. and I have some bone lass in my hips and lower back. I walk 2-3 miles every day, and I walk a 13 minute mile up and down hills. I get my heart rate up pretty well. I also do some weight lifting with 10lb. dumbbells every day. I don't do yoga regularly, but when I do, it seems that everything else I do is easier. I can only speak from my own experience.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345