Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Yoga poses dangers to genuine Christian faith says Seminary president

Yoga can be dangerous to Christians' faith, says Southern Baptist Seminary President

Yoga can be dangerous to Christians' faith, the president of Louisville's Southern Baptist Theological Seminary warns.

The popular discipline of meditation and stretching is so interwoven with Eastern mysticism that it is “at odds with the Christian understanding,” Southern Baptist Theological Seminary President Albert Mohler wrote on Monday on his blog.

“Christians are not called to empty the mind or to see the human body as a means of connecting to and coming to know the divine,” Mohler wrote. “Believers are called to meditate upon the Word of God — an external Word that comes to us by divine revelation — not to meditate by means of incomprehensible syllables.”
    Yoga poses dangers to genuine Christian faith

Yoga Is Un-Christian

Um, okay.

vCash
    This isn't out of left field. I know someone who practices yoga as her religion, and constantly explains to people that it is the only path to God. She is now instructing yoga and running workshops on how to find God through yoga and opening "chakras". These ideas are contrary to Christianity as well as other faiths.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    To quote Dawn French as Catherine Spartacus Zeta Douglas Jones, "It's crrrazy, mahn!"
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    This isn't out of left field. I know someone who practices yoga as her religion, and constantly explains to people that it is the only path to God. She is now instructing yoga and running workshops on how to find God through yoga and opening "chakras". These ideas are contrary to Christianity as well as other faiths.
    And I know plenty of people who practice yoga with a focus mostly on body and mind -- and some who use it in their spiritual practice. I am very leery of anyone who professes that they know the only, one true path to knowing God, whatever their beliefs may be. It may be the ONLY path for them -- it doesn't necessarily follow that it is the path for everyone else.

ETA: My most recent experiences with yoga have been in churches. I guess they didn't get the message about what a danger they were exposing the participants to.

vCash
    Let me tell you something, when I'm in downward facing dog, there's nothing religious going on. Yoga makes me feel good physically and it makes me not quite so neurotic. I just wish these religious zealots would worry about their own souls and not about people doing yoga...
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    It's always seemed to me that the more secure one is in their OWN religion, the less they are disturbed by what anyone else is doing....
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    It's always seemed to me that the more secure one is in their OWN religion, the less they are disturbed by what anyone else is doing....
    ^^ this.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    AMEN to that!

vCash
    I just wanted to point out that yoga refers to spiritual practice in general. There is a very false misconception that yoga necessarily includes asanas (body postures).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    I just wanted to point out that yoga refers to spiritual practice in general. There is a very false misconception that yoga necessarily includes asanas (body postures).
    I think most in the U.S. and other Western countries are most familiar with the asanas of hatha yoga, with its controlled breathing and relaxation/meditation, so that is what the word "yoga" evokes for them.

vCash
    So true. I'll say it again: so EFFIN true!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Let me tell you something, when I'm in downward facing dog, there's nothing religious going on.
    Oh how I hear you on that one!! When I'm in that pose there are only two things going on in my mind. One, how much longer till I can move into the next pose, and two, please fingers stop sliding on me!!

Yoga makes me feel good physically and it makes me not quite so neurotic. I just wish these religious zealots would worry about their own souls and not about people doing yoga...
    I'm not neurotic, but I started Yoga about ten years ago (Eeeek!! Didn't realize it's been that long...) as a way to both do a form of exercise that wouldn't put much strain on my bad knees and also get into better shape than I was in. What I love now about Yoga is how calm and centered I am after doing my Practice. Not to mention how it's really helped w/my Blood Pressure too.

Here Here and AMEN!!!

vCash
    Oh, for Pete's sakes ... I've been practising yoga since I was 18 years old ... and, no, I'm not going to tell you how long ago THAT was ... but, suffice to say, it's been a CONSIDERABLE length of time. I practised yoga at 18 for the same reason I practise it today ... as a form of exercise which keeps me extremely flexible and in generally great shape.

I am a Christian and yoga has NOTHING to do with my religion. NOTHING!

I'm willing to bet that 90+ per cent of North Americans practising yoga are doing so for the physical health benefits and as a form of exercise. For them, it has NO connection with religion whatsoever.

Honestly, sometimes I'm just embarrassed by what some "Christians" try to make an issue of. Take care of your own house and stop trying to lay a guilt trip on the rest of us who are just trying to stay fit and healthy. It's just not that deep, folks.

vCash
    Nonsense, Sally!

It starts with doing yoga "for the physical health benefits." Then it's eating arugula. And quinoa. And playing soccer. And meditating. And having an occasional glass of red wine. And studying the writings of Tagore, Krishnamurti, Rumi, and the Buddha.

Before you know it, society is going to health Hell in a handbasket.

It's time someone took a stand against stretching!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Nonsense, Sally!

It starts with doing yoga "for the physical health benefits." Then it's eating arugula. And quinoa. And playing soccer. And meditating. And having an occasional glass of red wine. And studying the writings of Tagore, Krishnamurti, Rumi, and the Buddha.

Before you know it, society is going to health Hell in a handbasket.

It's time someone took a stand against stretching!

Awwww, do you really think??? I mean ... I don't really want to get all stiff and all ..... but, if you say so ...

vCash
    Yes, yoga has its roots in Hinduism, but the yoga practiced today in Western countries has little or nothing to do with Hinduism.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Huh, and I was totally going to blow a yoga class off that's coming up in an hour. More reason to go

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    ...raising the question why people are bothered by what this Seminary president is doing and saying...
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    To clarify, I have done yoga in the past and have no problem with it. (It is not currently an option for me because if I take it elsewhere, it will cause problems with my SiL and I'm not interested in being instructed by her for many reasons--including that she informed me that she would charge me MORE than regular students). My point is that some people might have disagreement with it on religious grounds. If a devout person of any faith goes into my SiL's session or yoga-related workshops, they may very well be uncomfortable with or completely object to being told that they will only find God through yoga. That doesn't make her wrong (although this is the ninth or tenth path to God she has told us is the only one and that we must all embrace with her in the last three years--so I'm sure she'll soon declare herself wrong and move on), but that kind of approach does give legitimacy to a Christian person (or a person of any faith that sees the path to God differently) objecting to yoga.

vCash
    On a side note, does anyone else find that yoga so does NOT live up to its reputation as gentle and effective exercise? I went to postnatal yoga class this week. Generally, the idea was to get into a muscle straining and painful position, then use one's breathing to learn to like said position. Give me the elliptical machine and circuit training any day.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast