Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post

LLWD was a popular song, and WAOMF sounds very similar (probably because they're written by the same group). Catchy, hooky, upbeat. Same goes for "Can't Stay Away." Trying to deviate from the sound that gave you your first hit with the next single usually backfires, I think, because that's not what people liked you for.
    AWM is catchy, hooky, and upbeat. The Truth actually got some radio play, so I'm sure the new single will get at least some radio play. But I assume we'll get some major releases soon because it's that time of the year, so radio play will be tough.

Lee is announcing his single today. For his sake, I hope they made a good choice. (I'm sure they took care of any pitch and phrasing problems in the studio, so the real issue will be the song itself.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    AWM is catchy, hooky, and upbeat. The Truth actually got some radio play, so I'm sure the new single will get at least some radio play. But I assume we'll get some major releases soon because it's that time of the year, so radio play will be tough.
    No, there's something childish about AWM that I cannot get over. Everything about the melodic structure, "Yea, yea, yea, yea"s, and the non-enunciation of the words irk me. No, I just can't....

The Truth didn't actually receive that much airplay. At its peak, it had a total audience impression of 5 million. Songs at that position usually get around 10 million, and the chart was weaker than it is now. As a result, TT never made a significant sales impact. I expect that AWM would at least do as well as TT, but it's not a particularly high threshold to pass. HAC seems pretty competitive right now, but maybe by the time AWM gets an adds date, it will be better. I know most new releases are coming out on pop rather HAC, and I'm guessing Jive will go for HAC first.

vCash
    The Truth didn't actually receive that much airplay.
    I know. That's why I said "some" and then said that radio play would be tough. Peter was mocking you for thinking that it would get any airplay. If even The Truth could get some airplay, I think that AWM will get some. And I know you think it's annoying and juvenile, but have you heard "Hey Soul Sister?" I don't see how anyone could have avoided it because it gets tons of radio play. It will get at least a little airplay.

Lee's new single comes out next Wednesday. I'll be curious to see which radio stations play it because it sounds like he's going for the genre that Crystal is targeting -- that AAA market we were talking about. His press release says:

Working with top-notch collaborators such as Toby Gad, John Shanks, and Espionage, to name a few, DeWyze co-wrote most of the songs on Live It Up, which he recorded while on the road over the summer with the American Idols Live Tour. “To see my name listed in the credits on each song was really important to me because I’m a songwriter” DeWyze says, “I also loved working with such talented writers. They all brought so much to the table and really helped me flesh out my sound.”

Live It Up is an engaging blend of rootsy pop, rock and folk, anchored by DeWyze’s soulful, rough-edged voice and bright-sounding acoustic guitar. “I grew up listening to Simon & Garfunkel, The Mamas & the Papas, Cat Stevens, and Kris Kristofferson,” DeWyze says. “I love hard-edged vocals over pretty melodies — that’s what I’m about. I really admire guys like Dave Matthews and Ray LaMontagne, and to now be on the same record label as them — it just blows my mind.”
    Crystal must be so annoyed that he apparently didn't have to battle anyone to do this kind of album. I guess they think that a midwestern paint salesman better fits the image of folk and rootsy rock.

vCash
    I LOVE Hey Soul Sister. Like, massive, on my "favorite songs" playlist love. To say that AWM is like Hey Soul Sister kills me.

vCash
    I LOVE Hey Soul Sister. Like, massive, on my "favorite songs" playlist love. To say that AWM is like Hey Soul Sister kills me.

So, "yeah, yeah, yeah" bugs you, but "hey, hey, hey" doesn't? And the "jangly guitar" at the beginning? And the lyrics "I'm so obsessed, my heart is bound to beat right out my untrimmed chest" and "so gangsta, I'm so thug, you're the only one I'm dreaming of?" Those aren't annoying?

I really do see AWM as being in the same category as Soul Sister. I actually liked Soul Sister -- the first thousand times I heard it. Now I'm so sick of it.

vCash

So, "yeah, yeah, yeah" bugs you, but "hey, hey, hey" doesn't? And the "jangly guitar" at the beginning? And the lyrics "I'm so obsessed, my heart is bound to beat right out my untrimmed chest" and "so gangsta, I'm so thug, you're the only one I'm dreaming of?" Those aren't annoying?

I really do see AWM as being in the same category as Soul Sister. I actually liked Soul Sister -- the first thousand times I heard it. Now I'm so sick of it.
    YES. I even thought of HSS when I was going off about AWM, but then I listened to them both and my likes and dislikes were only reaffirmed.

vCash
    I hate Hey Soul Sister. It came on my radio this morning and I knocked a cat off the bed to get to the radio and turn it off.

I can tell, based on description, that I will not be buying Lee's album.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I hate Hey Soul Sister. It came on my radio this morning and I knocked a cat off the bed to get to the radio and turn it off.

I can tell, based on description, that I will not be buying Lee's album.
    This will be me for AWM if it ever comes on my top 40 station. Coincidentally, the second time I ever heard Hey Soul Sister was when it came on the radio one morning as I was half-asleep. I laid there thinking, "Hey, this is actually pretty good." We all have our own songs that we love and hate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I wouldn't knock the cat off the bed if the song came on, but I would gently remove him to change the station. I change the station every time it comes on. It seems like Jason Mraz had such a huge hit with "I'm Yours" that people are trying to replicate it with songs that are just kind of annoying. After a few listens, it's like saccharine overload or something.

vCash
    Now you're just twisting the dagger into my already bleeding heart, Allskate. I'm Yours is number one on my favorite songs playlist!

vCash
    Now you're just twisting the dagger into my already bleeding heart, Allskate. I'm Yours is number one on my favorite songs playlist!
    Actually, I like "I'm Yours" and Jason Mraz. I think Mraz is a pretty intelligent, creative, and thoughtful songwriter. (Have you ever listened to any of his concerts on archive.org?) I just think that people are trying to come up with songs like his and are doing a poor job and they get annoying. I'll give you that "1,2,3,4" song from the Plain White Ts as an example. (Please don't tell me you love that song, too. ). It's like the label told them to come up with something like that.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about AWM and Soul Sister.

vCash
    Actually, I like "I'm Yours" and Jason Mraz. I think Mraz is a pretty intelligent, creative, and thoughtful songwriter. (Have you ever listened to any of his concerts on archive.org?) I just think that people are trying to come up with songs like his and are doing a poor job and they get annoying. I'll give you that "1,2,3,4" song from the Plain White Ts as an example. (Please don't tell me you love that song, too. ). It's like the label told them to come up with something like that.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about AWM and Soul Sister.
    The wounds are a result of finding similarities in my favorite songs HSS and I'm Yours to AWM, a song I severely dislike. I think one difference is the clear enunciation in the first two songs and the muddled delivery in the last one. I seriously can't understand much of what Kris is saying. It's just this jangly mush of noise. For all I know, he could be singing the best lyrics ever written.

But I forgot you were a Jason Mraz fan! Actually, I think this is a part of how we started our whole history of debate, haha. I suggested something about downloading music off the internet for free and you and some others were quite angry about me doing so, and you brought up that website somehow. Actually, I would have never found it so easy to download music from the internet (and I still buy way more music than the average student) had it not been for Jason Mraz giving SUCH good live performances that I preferred them to his recorded versions and I just had to find a way to rip them from youtube. Had it not been for this initial motivation, I would haven't gone searching for a youtube mp3 site. Funny how that goes.

I actually attended his concert last year. It was awesome! He's so great. He just came out with a new EP, but it's a bit more jazzy than what I like from him. I'll still be interested in his next album.

I listened to that 1234 song a long time ago but wasn't that impressed. It's simple and sweet, but not very interesting musically. I'm not so sure that 1234 is a rip-off of "I'm Yours" though. I think they're just trying to capitalize on the same sound/sentiment of their first hit "Hey There Delilah," which came out before "I'm Yours" if I remember correctly.

vCash
    I don't think "1,2,3,4" is a ripoff of "I'm Yours." I just think that their label was trying to get the same kind of vibe and targeting the group of people who like "I'm Yours." My sense is that most of their music up to that point hadn't been in the vein of "Hey There Delilah." Most of their music was more uptempo and not as stripped down. I heard a preview of one of the songs from their upcoming album and I think it's much better than "Rhythm of Love" but isn't their single because that's not the kind of vibe their label wants out there to sell music. Anyway, I would bet money that with "Soul Sister" Pat Monahan and his label were very consciously targeting that group of music listeners rather than going for the sound that Train historically had.

I actually think that Kris naturally had a bit of a singer/songwriter vibe when he was on Idol, but the label took him more in the direction of Lifehouse and The Script.

ETA: Crystal has written a piece for CNN about her childhood experiences with bullying:
    http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/0...gine%e2%80%a6/

On Idol, she always seemed so expressive in her singing and kind of closed off when it came to talking. Her history may help explain why as well as explaining why it is so important that she be able to express herself with her own songs.

ETAA: And speaking of Jason Mraz, someone from the L.A. Times heard Lee's album and says it has a Jason Mraz and Coldplay kind of sound. Huh? I never would have lumped Jason Mraz and Coldplay together and I was expecting more of a Dave Matthews sound from Lee. Weird.
    Last edited by Allskate; 10-08-2010 at 05:56 PM.

vCash
    And how do you know that "I'm Yours" didn't try to target the same group of people who loved "Hey There Delilah"? I never even thought about "I'm Yours" when I listened to "Hey Soul Sister" until now.

As long as it sounds good, that's all I care about.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I know. That's why I said "some" and then said that radio play would be tough. Peter was mocking you for thinking that it would get any airplay.
    I wasn't mocking, I was teasing! (I'm not mean enough to mock!)

From wikipedia:

Kris Allen Singles Discography

"No Boundaries" 11
    "Live Like We're Dying" 18
    "The Truth" —

"—" denotes releases that did not chart
    I expect Kris' career to go exactly the way David Archuleta's is going...

ETA: The " - " for "The Truth" single is for the Billboard Hot 100 chart...even flop singles make it into the 90's or 80's on the chart...Kris' second single from his album did so poorly (even with the lead singer of Train who was coming of a comeback hit) that it didn't get enough airplay to even manage a #99 position on the Hot 100...
    Last edited by PeterG; 10-08-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Crystal is going to be on AC 360's town hall on bullying tonight. I think it repeats, so I'm going to try to catch it. Anderson Cooper seemed very impressed with her.

And how do you know that "I'm Yours" didn't try to target the same group of people who loved "Hey There Delilah"?
    Although "I'm Yours" was released as a single after "Hey There Delilah" was released, Mraz had written and performed it before "Hey There Delilah" was released, so he obviously didn't write it to target the Delilah lovers. But, his label might have chosen it as a single because, based on "Delilah," they saw that sweet acoustic songs were doing well.

Musical appeal is so subjective. If you love "Soul Sister," it really doesn't matter if PL is throwing her cat around to escape it or if I find the lyrics ridiculous.

I don't think that Kris will do quite as poorly as David Archuletta, but I don't anticipate a huge career for him and I'd be surprised if his sales for the second album aren't substantially lower than for the first. But, as I've said, if a song as weak as The Truth could get some radio play (even if it wasn't good enough to chart), AWM will at least get some airplay even if it doesn't get as much as the big releases coming out in the next few months. Allison probably would have been happy just to get that for Scars or DWTP.

vCash
    C
    Musical appeal is so subjective. If you love "Soul Sister," it really doesn't matter if PL is throwing her cat around to escape it or if I find the lyrics ridiculous.
    For the record, I was startled and merely dislodged the cat abruptly from his sound sleep on my back.

He has recovered nicely.

vCash
    Heh. Lyndsey Parker has reviewed four of Lee’s new songs. (Why four?) She says one of them has an acoustic ditty vibe and compares it to "Alright With Me" and "Hey There, Delilah." Run for the hills cailuj!

Billboard says that David Cook fans will love one of the songs. You can pre-order now PL!

Just saw Crystal on AC 360. It was very sad to know what she dealt with, but good for her for taking part in efforts to deal with bullying. I have a friend whose daughter is being bullied in school and it’s gotten so bad that they’ve discussed moving.

vCash

Billboard says that David Cook fans will love one of the songs. You can pre-order now PL!
    Hmm. I tend to prefer David's rocker songs waaay more than his ballads, and I know that puts me in the minority of his fans. So we'll see.

vCash
    Yeah, I don't think I'd care much for Lee's album. I can't even muster up fake excitement at the moment, lol. I saw his album cover and it looked nice though. Nice earthy colors and a happy smile.

I love "Hey There Delilah." I just have an allergic reaction to "Alright With Me." And it's nothing against Kris (although he could enunciate more - I've never really noticed how sloppy he gets on some songs until just recently). I like 8/12 tracks from Kris' album. I haven't listened to much of what he did before Idol, but I do have one of his older songs called "Land of Smiles." It's nice and slow, pretty, and calming. Kind of like one of Jason Mraz's slower acoustic stuff. There's another slower song on Kris' album that's one of my favorites called "I Need To Know," and it was used in the TV show The Vampire Diaries last week. I don't watch the show, but I thought it worked really well from the clip. Link

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast