Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    A pox on you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Well, if you want a really recent example, take a look at Crystal Bowersox's twitter. Girl is having major issues with Jive and is airing out some dirty laundry before her album is even released.
    Oh, my.

I knew that she and Jive weren't seeing eye to eye, but wow. Today's tweets:

"I'm not in the loop apparently. I guess I'm just supposed to sing songs and be a lame obiedient dog. Sorry, not this woman."

"We love exactly what you do. Now do it differently. We can't have an Indy type artist on a major label. Why the bleep not?"

I hope she wins at least a few battles.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Oh, wow! Crystal and Kelly would have a LOT to talk about I think. Get those two together, they can write a song about it all, haha!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    Wait... which winners have recorded albums outside of their genre? I haven't watched all of the seasons, but I can't think of any who have been forced into something outside of their comfort zone, etc.
    I personally don't think David Cook put out exactly what he wanted, and wasn't Kelly fighting for her first few albums because she wasn't able to do exactly what she wanted?
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Jive wouldn't drop Crystal before her album is released...right? She must know that Jive can and probably does read her tweets, and they can't be happy with what she's saying. And she is right that you can have an indie sound and be signed to a major label and be successful, e.g. The Decemberists. Jive is probably not the label to do that on though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    I personally don't think David Cook put out exactly what he wanted, and wasn't Kelly fighting for her first few albums because she wasn't able to do exactly what she wanted?
    Oh, definitely. And Kris didn't either. But, they weren't huge departures in style from what they'd like to do.

Jive wouldn't drop Crystal before her album is released...right? She must know that Jive can and probably does read her tweets, and they can't be happy with what she's saying. And she is right that you can have an indie sound and be signed to a major label and be successful, e.g. The Decemberists. Jive is probably not the label to do that on though.
    Maybe she's hoping that they'll transfer her to a different Sony label. (Isn't Ray LaMontagne on an RCA label? She's a big fan of his.) Or maybe she would just like them to drop her and let her sign with someone else. They're really not the right label for her.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    And she is right that you can have an indie sound and be signed to a major label and be successful, e.g. The Decemberists. Jive is probably not the label to do that on though.
    And the Indigo Girls released most of their albums through Epic (currently owned by Sony). Epic had Blondie, Boston and Brandy on their label, who are all pretty mainstream.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    As much as I liked Crystal on Idol, I wondered if she'd be currently viable. Apparently, Jive thinks not. Or so it seems, from the info we have available. She's definitely a throwback to the hippie era. But, then, Adam Lambert, is a throwback to the 1980s "glam era" and he seems to be doing just fine. So, who knows? Maybe, Crystal will find her niche. I hope so ... she's talented, to be sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Oh, definitely. And Kris didn't either. But, they weren't huge departures in style from what they'd like to do.
    Exactly. It's not like either of them put out a jazz album or something.

I was not a huge fan of David's album, but it's still a mix of rock songs and ballads, just like Analog Heart.

vCash
    Maybe she's hoping that they'll transfer her to a different Sony label. (Isn't Ray LaMontagne on an RCA label? She's a big fan of his.) Or maybe she would just like them to drop her and let her sign with someone else. They're really not the right label for her.
    Ray LaMontagne is with RCA. I really doubt that Crystal would be transferred there though. They've got enough work to do trying to promote Lee...

Quote Originally Posted by Sally1214 View Post
    As much as I liked Crystal on Idol, I wondered if she'd be currently viable. Apparently, Jive thinks not. Or so it seems, from the info we have available. She's definitely a throwback to the hippie era. But, then, Adam Lambert, is a throwback to the 1980s "glam era" and he seems to be doing just fine. So, who knows? Maybe, Crystal will find her niche. I hope so ... she's talented, to be sure.
    Being "glam" is in right now though, but being a dreadlock-haired hippie isn't. And his singles are pretty current-sounding for pop, but I don't think Crystal's would be if she gets her way. I think Jive is too focused on the pop and urban formats to realize that there are other areas for artists to become successful.

vCash
    Being "glam" is in right now though, but being a dreadlock-haired hippie isn't. And his singles are pretty current-sounding for pop, but I don't think Crystal's would be if she gets her way. I think Jive is too focused on the pop and urban formats to realize that there are other areas for artists to become successful.
    It all depends where you live and what radio station you listen to. Michael Franti is a dreadlock-haired hippie, and he's doing fine. There definitely are stations that play contemporary folk-influenced music amidst contemporary rock. And their music sells. Ray LaMontagne, Mumford & Sons, the Avett Brothers, Jason Mraz, etc. Crystal could fit in there, along with bands like Death Cab for Cutie and the likes of Franti if she had the right arrangements. If she's refusing to change the arrangements to include anything besides guitar and bass, then that might be a problem. But, my sense is that she just doesn't want to do the kind of pop that Jive usually puts out. She probably looks at what they did with Archie and Jordin and cries.

vCash
    At the risk of getting pummeled for asking this, is Adam's album really glam-rock? Honest question, since all I've heard are a few pop songs that made it to radio.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    It all depends where you live and what radio station you listen to. Michael Franti is a dreadlock-haired hippie, and he's doing fine. There definitely are stations that play contemporary folk-influenced music amidst contemporary rock. And their music sells. Ray LaMontagne, Mumford & Sons, the Avett Brothers, Jason Mraz, etc. Crystal could fit in there, along with bands like Death Cab for Cutie and the likes of Franti if she had the right arrangements. If she's refusing to change the arrangements to include anything besides guitar and bass, then that might be a problem. But, my sense is that she just doesn't want to do the kind of pop that Jive usually puts out. She probably looks at what they did with Archie and Jordin and cries.
    I know, but Jive doesn't have a clue what to do with those types of artists. They're a pop and rhythmic/urban label who go for the pop and urban formats, and none of those artists that you listed are pop or urban. Complete mismatch here of artist and label.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    At the risk of getting pummeled for asking this, is Adam's album really glam-rock? Honest question, since all I've heard are a few pop songs that made it to radio.
    That's not a question that deserves pummeling. Adam's album isn't "glam rock" at all. It's just contemporary pop and pop-rock with some 80s leanings on certain songs. I mean, he can try and say that a song has a certain "glam rock shuffle" or whatever, but no one actually believes that, lol. However, I'm not even sure that the original glam rock era in the 1970s has a definitive sound as it does a look, sentiment, and style. It's that same sentiment and style (liberation! bisexuality! androgyny! glitter!) that's being popularized again by the big pop stars right now, and people just categorize Adam as a "glam rock" or "glam pop" artist because he celebrates all of those things. It really has nothing to do with what the music actually sounds like. With Crystal though, she probably really cares that the sound of her music isn't just some poppy song because that's what gets played or results in big single sales, so it's not just a look or feeling for her.
    Last edited by cailuj365; 09-23-2010 at 11:53 PM.

vCash
    I know, but Jive doesn't have a clue what to do with those types of artists. They're a pop and rhythmic/urban label who go for the pop and urban formats, and none of those artists that you listed are pop or urban. Complete mismatch here of artist and label.
    Oh, ITA with that. We've been saying that for months. Just like Jive was not the right fit for Allison. It's even more true for Crystal. Oh well, if nothing else, she'll make an album she doesn't love, Jive will drop her, and she'll find a label she likes.

With Crystal though, she probably really cares that the sound of her music isn't just some poppy song because that's what gets played or results in big single sales, so it's not just a look or feeling for her.
    ITA. If you haven't listened to her song Grey Haired Rock Star yet, take a listen to the lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsssRxE5icM

I think she went on Idol because she could not support her son or afford insulin. But, I don't think she care about being rich and mega-famous. She'd be perfectly content with a career that just allowed her not to worry about supporting herself and her son.

I think Adam has gone glam pop.

vCash
    If you haven't listened to her song Grey Haired Rock Star yet, take a listen to the lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsssRxE5icM

I think she went on Idol because she could not support her son or afford insulin. But, I don't think she care about being rich and mega-famous. She'd be perfectly content with a career that just allowed her not to worry about supporting herself and her son.

I think Adam has gone glam pop.
    Yeah, I agree that it was really about her son. Supposedly, Crystal didn't even know anything about how Idol worked, so she was probably out of the loop by what type of recording careers that Idol alums usually get. Thanks for that link. I liked the song a lot, and I've forgotten how lovely her voice is.

I see Adam as glam pop too. Plus, he said that his next album will be even more the Max Martin route than the classic rock stuff that you can at least glean from "Music Again" or "Aftermath." He sounds perfectly happy about it too, heh. Though he does love the glam rock period, it's easy to forget that Adam was doing the dance pop thing and having backup dancers/choreographed shows before Idol, so it is a genre that he genuinely likes. Listening to Crystal's pre-Idol song made me think of Adam's pre-Idol "Pop Goes the Camera" and how much their lyrics contrast. The lyrics are actually eerily prophetic of his career and sound like they come have come straight from Gaga's "The Fame":

Hollywood's where I will thrive...Fascination, saturation, stars are just like us. Validation, exploitation, all cause a big fuss...Look at me, look at me in a magazine...Cross-promotion, cross the ocean, I'll make bank off their devotion...I'll cause commotions, get them feeling strong emotions...

Gee, I wonder who that sounds like... Then again, he does reel back the wonders of fame with "If I Had You," so he's not that self-centered, haha.

vCash
    Thanks, I was wondering because I didn't think I heard glam rock in anything he was doing either. Glam pop seems to make much more sense.
    ~DC

vCash
    So, I guess Crystal is having second thoughts about whether she should have tweeted, but I think she got the response she wanted from fans. Here's her latest tweet:

"Despite my gratitude and disgruntledness, I apologize 4a lack of prfessionlism ytrdy. Big girls d't cry, right? They thrw kicks and pnches."

Maybe the kicking and punching got her somewhere because she recorded "Farmer's Daughter" today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaTlmrMyQk

And speaking of punching and kicking, her mother must be thrilled. Or not.

We'll see if it makes the album. I wonder if they'd make her take out the f-bomb.

vCash
    And speaking of punching and kicking, her mother must be thrilled. Or not.
    I don't get the part about her mother. What do you mean?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    What a back handed apology, I love it! I wasn't being professional, I should have punched you instead of whining! LMAO! I love Crystal.

P.S. Thanks for the link to Farmer's Daughter. I had not heard it before and have now listened to it 3 times. I love this type of music from her. I wish they could come to some compromise where she records 2-4 songs they want (that still fit in line with her style to some degree) and allow the rest of her album to be this type of music. It is what she does best and her fans will eat it up. You only need 2-3 singles anyway, so don't force tons of pop on the album.
    Last edited by BigB08822; 09-24-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I don't get the part about her mother. What do you mean?
    "Farmer's Daughter" essentially is a song about her mother abusing her and her brother.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    What a back handed apology, I love it! I wasn't being professional, I should have punched you instead of whining! LMAO! I love Crystal.
    She did also tweet that she knew she was lucky and that a lot artists don't have as much input as she does, but she's just frustrated with the politics and not just from Jive. I think she was having a particularly bad day because her album was put up for pre-sale somewhere with a fall release date, which came as news to her.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    P.S. Thanks for the link to Farmer's Daughter. I had not heard it before and have now listened to it 3 times. I love this type of music from her. I wish they could come to some compromise where she records 2-4 songs they want (that still fit in line with her style to some degree) and allow the rest of her album to be this type of music. It is what she does best and her fans will eat it up. You only need 2-3 singles anyway, so don't force tons of pop on the album.
    I agree. Plus, as I've said before, some of her songs could actually be made more commercial just by changing the arrangement a little bit. Almost everything she did before was just guitar or guitar and bass.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast