Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

vCash
    No dates yet for David Cook's new CD, but it's still listed as being first quarter of 2011.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Last season resulted in Crystal Bowersox's. Which makes last season one SMASHING success, IMHO.
    I think she's incredibly talented, but I still think that there were major problems with last season. And not just because Crystal lost. There was the ridiculous pimping of the boring paint store salesman. There was too much emphasis on certain backstories. There was the lack of sufficient variety in the contestants. There was some of the more interesting contestants being voted off early. There were poor themes and song choices. There was the obnoxious Kara, the bored Simon, and the awkward Ellen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I think she's incredibly talented, but I still think that there were major problems with last season. And not just because Crystal lost. There was the ridiculous pimping of the boring paint store salesman. There was too much emphasis on certain backstories. There was the lack of sufficient variety in the contestants. There was some of the more interesting contestants being voted off early. There were poor themes and song choices. There was the obnoxious Kara, the bored Simon, and the awkward Ellen.
    It was not AI's fault that some of the more interesting contestants as you call them were voted off early. Well, other than their skewed voting system. I have high hopes for the new season, but not if they haven't done anything to fix the voting problem. If they haven't it will still be a popularity contest where the contestant with the youngest fans who are willing to power vote for hours will win.

ETA: that said, I will never understand what there was about the boring paint saleman that inspired the 'tweens.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    ETA: that said, I will never understand what there was about the boring paint saleman that inspired the 'tweens.
    My guess is that the voters are female who have some sort of crush, so they vote for the male contestant (perhaps regardless to some extent of who the male contestant might be) over the female. Unless of course the female is extremely talented (and not too threatening). I don't think male voters power-vote like female voters do.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    It was not AI's fault that some of the more interesting contestants as you call them were voted off early.
    I think the tweens were voting for Tim Urban. Idol's audience tends to scew older, though, and I think a lot of the audience voted for the person they perceived to be as the poor, humble pain salesman who the judges claimed was so talented, but lacking in confidence.

I don't think Idol is entirely to blame for losing some of the more interesting contestants earlier, but I think theyr are partly to blame. The judges were not promoting them, and at times were slamming them. Instead, they were busy promoting the paint salesman and we heard a gazillion times about Mike's new baby and Katie's grandmother. Also, they have to have more variety or votesplitting takes place early on, especially among those that didn't get much attention and hype early on.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    No word on a single release for Kelly as of yet. Still waiting for RCA to sort out their mess before picking dates. I do know that Britney Spears has a single coming out this month (probably within a week) and Gaga's single comes out February 13th (album out in May). That might give you an idea of how they will fit Kelly in. So I am guessing a April or May single release and a June/July album release. Just a pure guess. I do expect Kelly and Jason will do their single on Idol with Kelly doing her single right around the time of the finale.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    For anyone who wants to start spoiling themselves on the top 40.

http://www.joesplaceblog.com/
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Another album teaser video from David Cook. Complete with nerdy glasses.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    Another album teaser video from David Cook. Complete with nerdy glasses.
    That is a tease! Too little, too short! But, I guess this is a good sign that there will be at least a single fairly soon.

Crystal's "Farmer's Daughter" goes for adds next week. I wonder how that will go. Her video is on the VH2 web site, but I haven't heard of any plans for her to be on the show: http://www.vh1.com/shows/series/top_...own/vote.jhtml

She's topped the 100k mark with sales, but without radio play or tv exposure, I think she's likely to stall.

vCash
    Adam's WWFM is on the 2011 Grammy Nominees CD. They usually don't pick the male pop vocal category to have on the CD, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Farmer's Daughter goes for adds in which format? AAA?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Farmer's Daughter goes for adds in which format? AAA?
    Yes. AAA. She's going to Nashville, but I'm not sure if that's necessarily for radio. She said in an interview that she may do some writing there. It seems a bit soon to be working on another album, but maybe for a sountrack or for that tv show she did a few months ago and is scheduled to air this spring?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Eight big changes coming to "American Idol"

2. FASTER ELIMINATION

The elimination process is speeding up considerably; viewers at home will still shape the semifinals, but the Top 24 may go directly to 12 contestants -- or 15, as producers are still mulling over a final number.

3. ONLINE VOTING

The voting procedure will be overhauled. Plans are in the works for an online integration that would include bonus content and the ability to vote with a click.
    The last four points in the article are interesting as well: original songs, strong re-working of the theme weeks, possibility of music videos and faster releases of music (which they seemed to avoid in previous seasons as sales numbers showed the leaders popularity, which takes away from the suspense of who gets eliminated).

vCash
    The popularity has nothing to do with the releases of the music. iTunes, in particular, did not show any of the Idol's songs on their singles charts nor did they show their popularity bars. So I don't think that is why they never released songs immediately.

The Faster Elimination point got my heart a puttering but it is a big let down. I thought that would mean shorter elimination shows, with them being only 30 minutes instead of a full hour with horrible crap performances to torture us, including badly lipsynched group numbers.
    -Brian

vCash
    The "original songs" are not songs written by the contestant. They will have "mentors" that will help them choose from original songs. I imagine that these are largely going to be songs already rejected by other artists. Since most of the contestants don't sell a whole lot of downloads, I'm guessing these are not going to be songs that anyone sees as likely to have big sales potential. And they could be really cheesetastic. I so don't want to see a show full of Magic Rainbow songs. But, I guess it should add interest to see how bad the songs are and how well the contestants can pretend to like the songs they have to choose from.

Also, I assume these "originals" are the new music they are talking about releasing during the season. The contestants won't really have time to record anything else. They probably are going to try to take on the Glee model and release an album every week for each episode. Glee is selling huge amounts of music.

If they are going to immediately go from 24 to 12, then the audition coverage is going to be huge and will largely determine who gets through. I'd like a middle ground. Or for them to be more evenhanded in the rehearsal coverage of the top 24.

vCash
    More from David Cook on his new album. It's looking like somewhere between March and May for the release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XBpa...layer_embedded

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So I liked tonight's show and enjoyed Jennifer and Steven. However...

The need for Simon's toughlove was apparent and will probably become even moreso in time. Most of the performers they put through were either somewhat affected or pageant-y/over-the-top. I miss Crystal Bowersox...

But it's early. We've got lots more cities of auditioner-er's.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I think original songs are a great idea - too often, I think that votes are influenced by the song itself, and the rendition, as opposed to the singer's talent. By mixing in a few unknown songs, people are more likely to focus on the singer.

This might also alleviate the potential for disappointment when the singer's first CD comes out, because it's often hard to warm up as fast to songs when they are unfamiliar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    So I liked tonight's show and enjoyed Jennifer and Steven. However...

The need for Simon's toughlove was apparent and will probably become even moreso in time. Most of the performers they put through were either somewhat affected or pageant-y/over-the-top. I miss Crystal Bowersox...

But it's early. We've got lots more cities of auditioner-er's.
    I agree! There were times when they needed Simon there to "just say no!"
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I'm enjoying the episode tonight (just now watching) more because I have the top 40 pulled up and I can see who made it and who didn't. So I can skip the stupid Hollywood group drama and just get to the semifinals.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I'm enjoying the episode tonight (just now watching) more because I have the top 40 pulled up and I can see who made it and who didn't. So I can skip the stupid Hollywood group drama and just get to the semifinals.
    I agree. But, it was annoying that they ended the show with shots of a bunch of people holding golden tickets in their hands even though we hadn't seen them sing.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920