Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    So....... all the hard-core Liberals here who will win a lottery will hide and not even help financially their family and friends????!!! How typical for the Liberals... Do you at least plan to pay taxes? or paying taxes is only for the evil rich who EARNED their money?
    I will hide. My family is mostly dead and the ones who aren't can't be bothered to send me a Christmas card once a year, so why should I bother rewarding them with my good fortune? I do have friends that I know can use some help with their kids' educations and I'll probably surprise them with assistance. The ones who crawl out the woodwork begging can go stuff themselves. If you can't be bothered to be nice to me when I'm poor, why should I be nice to you when I'm rich?

I am as liberal as they come and I pay taxes (although I do look for legal ways to reduce that amount as much as I can). It's my super-conservative right-wing Republican friends who are the ones always looking to get out of paying taxes, not the liberals.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Agreed....liberal here...and I don't mind paying taxes. There are plenty of things that wouldn't get repaired in our communities if we didn't.

I wouldn't hide from family and friends though I don't care to have excessive amounts of money and would enjoy giving it away. I'd just want enough to have a comfortable home and be able to travel when I wanted a vacation.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    As the poorest one in my family by far (and I'm not poor) it wouldn't be an issue for me.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Grooving!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2 View Post
    I know but I think it's really unfortunate. I don't see any reason why they can't offer generic benefits / disadvantages that can be found on any financial planning website. It's obvious that people don't bother looking it up themselves. Companies can still limit their liability by telling employees to seek qualified advice for their personal situations. This is one area that definitely needs some reform in procedures and what's legally allowed.
    There's nothing preventing a company from providing general infomation about 401(k) options when you leave empolyment. I'm not sure what happened with your relative, but I can tell you my recent experience. My husband has brain cancer and recently went on long term disability (SS & private). When he rolled off short term, his company terminated him. Our benefits admin group sent him the "what do you want to do with your 401(k)" letter. It was FULL of useful info. For each option, it told you what the general tax implications are. For example, it specifically said if you cash it out, you will be taxed on it. It specifically said that if you leave it alone, you will be taxed on what you take out of it when you start receiving $$ at retirement age. It said that you will not be taxed if you roll it into a qualified IRA, until you take it out of the IRA. Etc. Really, how much more should a company be responsible for telling you? If your relative didn't even get that amount of info, his company just plain sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    As the poorest one in my family by far (and I'm not poor) it wouldn't be an issue for me.
    But if you won mega$$$$, you'd no longer be the poorest one in the family any more. Anyway, I've found that the fact that richer folks HAVE more doesn't stop them from wanting and trying to get more.

In my family, my former-executive cousin with the four cars and three homes (and no job - he lives off his wife's very-good salary and claiming a back injury - that he got hoisting a case of beer out of his car - makes him disabled) is the biggest money-grubber of us all. He's tried to chisel his mother out of the money her late husband left her, claiming that she doesn't "need" much since she lives with her middle son and her expenses are lower. I have no doubt that, should I ever come into $$$, he will be the first one knocking at my door with his hand out.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
    There's nothing preventing a company from providing general infomation about 401(k) options when you leave empolyment.
    ...or before. At my company we are given lots of information about our pension plan upon hire, including what our options are when we leave for any reason. I know that departing employees are given the same information. We're a non-profit, and I believe that former employees with balances under (something - maybe $10K? $5K?) have to roll their fund somewhere else within a certain amount of time after leaving, so it's pretty important to make sure they know their options and the tax implications.

But some places don't do that, I guess. A friend left a job with the county a few years ago and was totally clueless about her pension plan. She had no idea how much was in it or how to access it. I told her to call HR, because legally they have to give her the info and she just wouldn't do it. For whatever reason she decided it was better to bitch that the county had 'stolen' her pension than to follow up and get back the 3% that she had been putting into her fund for 5 years.

ETA: I'm sorry to hear about your husband.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    But if you won mega$$$$, you'd no longer be the poorest one in the family any more. Anyway, I've found that the fact that richer folks HAVE more doesn't stop them from wanting and trying to get more.
    Considering one uncle is worth $72 million, and both of his sons have made their own millions, even if I won they might have more unless it really was one of the mega mega mega ones that is like $300M.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819