Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    So, will GP coverage be on Universal Sports or just on NBC television-wise? I'm so lost.
    Both.

Both NBC and Universal Sports TV will have TV coverage of the GP. Universal Sports TV has not announced their TV schedule for the GP yet but NBC has. NBC is showing 2 hours each of six events (NBC is not showing Cup of China).

You can check the Universal Sports TV schedule here, but nothing has been posted yet.
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 09-22-2010 at 11:01 PM.

vCash
    I got the IN subscription "update", as well.
    I'll accept the increase in price. It's the first since IN's inception.

Does anyone know how many subscribers they have?

vCash
    Thanks to all who helped summarize the USA viewing options. And HW, your web site just rocks. Thanks a lot for making this easy for the rest of us!

ETA: I will also be renewing with IN. Even at the increased price, I think it's a great deal. I remember just a few years ago trying to watch the really crap feeds cutting in and out. When WebTV first came about at (I think??) about $15US per month, I thought that was a STEAL. And that was for coverage not in a language I can understand. (although I confess, not understanding the commentary / no commentary at all is often a blessing!) Anyway...I sort of thought IN was going by the wayside and I'm glad they are back this year as an option.
    Last edited by Doggygirl; 09-22-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    Charlie has taught me so much about positivity and your outlook on life, and that it’s your choice in the way you see the world and the way you react to situations. ~Sharna Burgess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    *Sigh* that the cost went up, but I will certainly be returning.

For the amount of coverage, though, I don't think that price is outrageous. A down economy effects everyone.
    I have always thought the price was so low that they could not be making much money and the truth is... unless it brings in enough $$ it's gone. So I will pay the fee. (Heck it's less then a ticket to one event )

Universal is more problematic. Don't like the Silverlight and can't make it work at ALL in a lot of hotels.

IceNetwork works fine in my home, but as usual streaming video in hotels is hit or miss. That's not really IN's issue, but the hotels!

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    I'm so, so lucky that I get Universal Sports on TV here. I just have to hook up my extra-long cable and throw my antenna out the window for it! That, and use the weird theremin-sounding tuner on the box to get the best angle of reception.

vCash
    [QUOTE=HisWeirness;2882534

Both NBC and Universal Sports TV will have TV coverage of the GP. .....[/QUOTE]

GREAT! I can continue to enjoy good old-fashioned TV coverage from my comfy couch, and not have to be hunched over a laptop at a desk. That's all I ask for in a season.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Some more details from universalsports.com premium video section about the live online streaming they will provide:
    UniversalSports.com presents LIVE coverage of the 2010 Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series. Purchase our subscription to watch the world's best compete in Japan, Canada, China, Russia, and France - plus the Grand Prix Final for $14.95!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I'm sticking with IN. They do offer more for the price. You get to see all of US nats.

I don't have universal sports TV and it seems unlikely that DirectTV will ever carry it. Or, more likely, they'll decide to carry it and US will stop covering skating. I got ESPN360 the year after ABC dropped the contract.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    The whole Direct TV thing is pissing me off. So much so that my husband and I are thinking about dropping it and going to cable.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Excerpt from icenetwork.com email to 2009-10 subscribers:
    The first live streaming subscription event (2010 NHK Trophy) will begin on Oct. 22, 2010.

In addition to all of the fantastic events that you've enjoyed in the past (including U.S. Championships, Skate America, the U.S. Junior Championships, and the U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships), we're pleased to announce the return of the ISU Grand Prix Series.

But that's not all! We're also bringing you on-demand video from all nine U.S. Regional competitions, the Eastern, Midwestern and Pacific Coast Sectionals, the U.S. Adult Championships, and feature skating programs.

In addition to these must-see events, you'll also enjoy improved video quality with streaming rates up to 1Mbps.

As a reminder, your Season Pass subscription is being renewed for only $39.95 for the entire season and will be valid until Sept. 30, 2010.
    I think they mean valid until Sept. 30, 2011

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Do you think Universal Sports.com will have commentators like they did last year for Worlds, with segments afterwards where they talk about the results? If they have backstage vids with skaters and stuff, I might change to them. I just wish it were for the entire season. Decisions, decisions...

vCash
    I'm sticking with IN even with the price increase. It's good coverage, especially when I can't get Universal Sports. I already miss the excitement of last season when we had the Olympics to look forward to. Still, I'm glad it's almost October!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Universal Sports TV has announced a preliminary schedule for NHK Trophy and Skate Canada.

All times Eastern.

NHK Trophy (all coverage is same day)
    Friday, Oct. 22
    6:00pm - 8:00pm: Men SP and Pairs SP
    10:00pm - midnight: Ladies SP and Short Dance

Saturday, Oct. 23
    4:00pm - 5:00pm: Pairs FS
    6:00pm - 7:00pm: Free Dance
    7:00pm - 8:00pm: Men FS
    10:00pm - midnight: Ladies FS

Skate Canada (all coverage is same day)
    Friday, Oct. 29
    5:00pm - 7:00pm: Men SP and Pairs SP
    5:00pm - 7:00pm**: Ladies SP and Short Dance (**the time given in the schedule has to be incorrect for this )

Saturday, Oct. 30
    5:00pm - 6:00pm: Ladies FS
    6:00pm - 7:00pm: Men FS
    8:00pm - 9:00pm: Free Dance
    9:00pm - 10:00pm: Pairs FS

Looks like 9 hours of coverage for NHK and 8 hours for Skate Canada.
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 09-29-2010 at 07:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I got the IN subscription "update", as well.
    I'll accept the increase in price. It's the first since IN's inception.

Does anyone know how many subscribers they have?

It's a one-third increase but if you're new, you get a discount. Go figure!

So much for loyalty.

vCash
    Has Universal Sports announced any streaming for US Nationals or Worlds on their website? I really wish NBC Universal would use their power to get the channel into more markets/cable systems.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ross_hy View Post
    Has Universal Sports announced any streaming for US Nationals or Worlds on their website? I really wish NBC Universal would use their power to get the channel into more markets/cable systems.
    IceNetwork will have online streaming of US Nationals, since they have the exclusive online rights for that event. Universal Sports TV and NBC will have TV coverage of US Nats. I am pretty sure that icenetwork.com will be the only site live streaming US Nationals in the USA.

Universal Sports/NBC have the online and broadcast rights to Worlds. I'm anticipating some same day Worlds broadcasts from Universal Sports TV and perhaps a few hours on NBC. Based on how universalsports.com is now charging for most of their live event streams, any live event stream of 2011 Worlds will probably have a subscription cost associated with it. For example, they are charging a subscription fee to watch the 2010 Gymnastics Worlds next month.

Clueless American
    vCash
    I saw the tail end of a commercial yesterday on Universal Sports with clips of Mirai from last year and saying their Grand Prix coverage starts on October 22. It got me all excited for the new season!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Universal Sports TV has announced a preliminary schedule for NHK Trophy and Skate Canada.

All times Eastern.

NHK Trophy (all coverage is same day)
    Friday, Oct. 22
    6:00pm - 8:00pm: Men SP and Pairs SP
    10:00pm - midnight: Ladies SP and Short Dance

Saturday, Oct. 23
    4:00pm - 5:00pm: Pairs FS
    6:00pm - 7:00pm: Free Dance
    7:00pm - 8:00pm: Men FS
    10:00pm - midnight: Ladies FS

Skate Canada (all coverage is same day)
    Friday, Oct. 29
    5:00pm - 7:00pm: Men SP and Pairs SP
    5:00pm - 7:00pm**: Ladies SP and Short Dance (the time given in the schedule has to be incorrect for this )

Saturday, Oct. 30
    5:00pm - 6:00pm: Ladies FS
    6:00pm - 7:00pm: Men FS
    8:00pm - 9:00pm: Free Dance
    9:00pm - 10:00pm: Pairs FS

Looks like 9 hours of coverage for NHK and 8 hours for Skate Canada.
    Thanks so much, HisW! This is fantastic. A huge improvement from last year: We won't have to wait until the NBC 'mini-telecasts' on Sundays to see the Ladies LPs...and we get to see some of ALL four disciplines' SPs and LPs this time around, since NBC usually repeated the men's LPs (what was already shown on UniSports) and chacked the finals of either Pairs or, usually, Dance.

Wooohooo! Can't wait!!! Cozy sofa is ready, wine is being chilled, a stack of blank DVDs disks and plastic slipcases at the ready. I will most likely have to buy a new DVD 'bookshelves' piece of furniture this season...and this is just for the eligible shows, as I don't watch or tape the Dissons.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Update about icenetwork.com streaming coverage:

icenetwork.com seems to be updating their site at this moment for the 2010-11 season. They have not posted their "subscription" info page yet, but their event calendar has been updated for 2010-11 and shows what competitions they will be streaming.

Ex: Event Calendar for Jan. 2011

Based on the calendar, icenetwork is not streaming any figure skating ISU Championships (Euros, Worlds, Four Continents, Jr. Worlds, Worlds). This is not surprising because NBC/Universal Sports hold the TV and online rights to these competitions.

Competition events scheduled for 2010-11 season icenetwork.com video:

All regionals
    All 2010 ISU Grand Prix Series events, including the Grand Prix Final
    All sectionals
    2011 US. Jr. Nationals
    Grand Prix event exhibitions (shown in Dec and Jan)
    2011 US Nationals
    2011 Synchro sectionals
    2011 Adult sectionals
    2011 US. Synchro Nationals
    2011 US Adult Nationals
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 09-29-2010 at 10:10 PM.

vCash
    Earlier (above), someone wrote that it is sad that UniSports doesn't have Euros and 4Cs on the schedule. Not to worry. They weren't on last season's schedule but each was announced a week or two before being shown. We got about 4 hrs of Euros and 2 hrs of 4Cs, which is fantastic compared to the previous seasons.

I would almost "bet the farm" that 2011 Euros and 4Cs will be aired on UniSports.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast