Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    He looked very pretty when he accepted his award from HRC the other night. A nice sedate deep purple suit and white shirt. Of course he dyed his hair to match the suit. LOL But I though he looked very nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Personally, I don't think Johnny does anything because he's trying to attract attention.
    Congrats, you win the most deluded poster of the millennium award.

vCash
    LOL, Johnny being Johnny grabs attention whether that's his aim or not. People love to and to snark. To each his own ... opinion. Personally, I don't think Johnny does anything because he's trying to attract attention. That seems to me to be more the take of people who are perplexed by him, or who feel the need to put him in a box or a slot of their own imagining that makes them feel more comfortable. I think Johnny loves living his life, expressing himself, and just being who he is. It seems that by just existing, Johnny attracts attention and holier than thou comments whether or not he or anyone else likes it. BTW, I don't think Johnny truly cares what others think about him. That's a gift and a lesson many don't seem to get. So much, apparently, not got about Johnny.

These words from Plain Dealer columnist Regina Brett in her recent book, God Never Blinks, seem so apropos: "What others think about you, is none of your business."

Ahhhh, another apt lesson in the same vein.

Might Johnny's book be enlightening for some? I doubt it. Probably will serve as more fodder for those who have so much to say and are so eager to be part of the "crapload" of attention the "poor misguided boy" in their minds, seemingly seeks.

Oh, and btw, that bad a*** attention-seeker tweeted a little while ago:

In the car going home. Waking up at 6 tomorrow for an all day photo shoot with some very special people for a magazine cover! Wink wink 3 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Wonder the mag ... can't wait to see and to read. Others can call me "uber," whatever that means ... it's none of my business what others think about my opinions, likes and dislikes. It's cool though to be able to express my opinions here every so often ... and to share, to discuss, to debate, to agree, to disagree.
    It sounds like you are trying to put the people who take issue with Weir in purty li'l boxes of your own

vCash
    Originally Posted by aftershocks:
    ... Personally, I don't think Johnny does anything because he's trying to attract attention...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    It's great that you find Johnny and my opinions of him so entertaining. That's a good thing. And you know, sometimes laughter is the best medicine, especially when the truth hits home, or just hits the funny bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Congrats, you win the most deluded poster of the millennium award.
    Hey, thanks, Ziggy! Unlike Johnny, I haven't really won that many awards. Come to think of it, I have won a few, but mostly back in high school. Awards are truly not that easy to come by. The most satisfying are those that come when least expected. I accept with heartfelt thanks, genuine humility, and in the best "Hasty Pudding" spirit ... Now is it for real, or just your FSU way of joking? Whatever, I generally enjoy your posts. Love your sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    It sounds like you are trying to put the people who take issue with Weir in purty li'l boxes of your own
    Ahhhh, Rex, bullseye. You do have a way with words. Yep, I'm human and therefore I cannot claim to have never looked askance at someone, or tried to fit them into a manageable view that might enable me to better understand them based on my own perceptions and experiences. What I can claim, however, is that I strive to keep an open mind, something I have tried my best to cultivate during my modest lifetime (or lifetimes, who knows). To quote Fats Waller, "One never knows [for sure], do one?"

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts. I'm happy to share my opinions.

Also, Yazmeen, I was not taking harsh issue with your post (in the way it might seem). Your viewpoint about Johnny, is of course, valid. I happen to disagree with all the people who think Johnny is always trying to grab people's attention, that he stays preoccupied at night dreaming of ways to gain attention. N O T! Although, perhaps he does on occasion stay preoccupied at night dreaming of things no one else can imagine. Johnny is who he is, he's never had to try to get people's attention. He's always been different, special, unique. Whatever you, me, or anyone else wants to call him, or think about him.

Call me "deluded" or "uber" or "overprotective" or take your pick of adjectives. As a fan, I've followed Johnny's skating career closely for many years. I don't know him personally, nor am I inside his head, nor do I always, all the time agree with him and what he says and what he wears. I do respect and admire Johnny. I don't feel the burning need to constantly criticize him. I've always found Johnny to be funny, witty, stylish, talented, inspirational. I recognize that he has paid some heavy dues, that he is twenty-something, and that he seems right now to be having fun on his journey. I hope he is having fun, and that he'll be able to realize his most unimaginable dream. More power to him.

Says little Red Riding Hood to the big bad wolf, "I was just minding my own business."
    Last edited by aftershocks; 09-29-2010 at 04:22 AM.

vCash
    OT but I use that Fats Waller quote all the time! Actually I didn't know it was he who originated it, and I can't remember where I first heard it, but I love it. LOL

vCash
    Anyone know when his song is coming out?

vCash
    It was supposed to come out in August...

vCash
    Not sure but he has said he plans to skate to it in a new program this winter. We shall see.

vCash
    I eagerly await it, if only for the train wreck factor.

vCash
    Johnny made it to failblog :
    http://derp.cheezburger.com/2010/09/...urrman-on-ice/

To be fair, Plushenko, Cohen and the Zhangs were already featured, but still, it's hilarious.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Personally, I don't think Johnny does anything because he's trying to attract attention.
    Generally, I do like Johnny, but I do think he has said some things in the press for shock value. Take this snippet from a quote by him for example: "I think it's a smear on my face and my reputation as an American figure skater and I hope he's banned from judging for the rest of his life." - Johnny Weir on judge Joe Inman. Banned for life from judging simply because of sharing an opinion in an e-mail? Gimme a freakin' break! Johnny's colorful commentary keeps him in the news and he knows that.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 10-01-2010 at 11:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    I have to admit, that made me laugh out loud!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    OT but I use that Fats Waller quote all the time! Actually I didn't know it was he who originated it, and I can't remember where I first heard it, but I love it. LOL
    OT, but yep, the famous words are attributed to Fats, Reo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fats_Waller

I know I have seen a vid of Fats in performance, enunciating those very words with self-deprecating humor. He was a remarkable musician, performer, human being. Can't find the exact vid I remember, but here's one in which Fats says the famous words at the end -- but if you blink, you'll almost miss it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE-ma...eature=related

BTW, what a thread! From Mizrahi furs, Liza Minnelli comparisons, blaming Johnny for being Johnny, snark-festing, to delusional poster of the millennium award, “purty” boxes, quoting Fats Waller, channeling “Pee Wee Hurrman” in mid-air, to back … way, way back to earlier this year … and the Joe Inman controversy at the Olympics, a lifetime ago in figure skating and in the 24-hour viral news cycle.

@museksk8r -- Johnny only says things for "shock value." Yeah, right. By simply existing, Johnny Weir shocks a lot of people most of the time. Let's face it, in some people's minds apparently, even without opening his mouth, Johnny is a veritable walking time bomb when it comes to "shock value."
    Last edited by aftershocks; 10-03-2010 at 05:30 PM.

vCash
    He's a very clever speaker, especially off the cuff, and he holds strong opinions. That's what makes him so quotable and fun. Whether or not you like his opinions is another matter. Maybe he does like to shock some people. Some people need shocking.

vCash
    As a fan, I've followed Johnny's skating career closely for many years. I don't know him personally, nor am I inside his head, nor do I always, all the time agree with him and what he says and what he wears. I do respect and admire Johnny. I don't feel the burning need to constantly criticize him. I've always found Johnny to be funny, witty, stylish, talented, inspirational. I recognize that he has paid some heavy dues, that he is twenty-something, and that he seems right now to be having fun on his journey. I hope he is having fun, and that he'll be able to realize his most unimaginable dream. More power to him.
    aftershocks, thanlks for summarizing how I feel about Johnny.

vCash

An Update

Just posted in the Star Ledger. If this has already appeared, please forgive me.

http://blog.nj.com/fashiontoday/2010...l_zoe_and.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    He's a very clever speaker, especially off the cuff, and he holds strong opinions. That's what makes him so quotable and fun. Whether or not you like his opinions is another matter. Maybe he does like to shock some people. Some people need shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    aftershocks, thanlks for summarizing how I feel about Johnny.
    You're welcome, skatesindreams. BTW, I love your username ... sounds so lovely and it conjures up all the beautiful feelings I have about skating ..., as does Johnny on Ice.

Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Just posted in the Star Ledger. If this has already appeared, please forgive me.

http://blog.nj.com/fashiontoday/2010...l_zoe_and.html
    I hadn't seen that link before sk9tingfan. Thanks for posting!

And, ... @museksk8r, I've often agreed with your take on things --- not so regarding Johnny's comments on the Inman controversy. Long time ago now as I said but for what it's worth, here's a link to a fuller "snippet" of what Johnny was quoted as saying. And let's be real about the fact that Johnny wasn't the only athlete upset about what Inman said in the email. Johnny was as usual the quotable one, as rightly or wrongly, he's not afraid to speak his mind.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...es-judge_N.htm

Reading this fuller version of what Johnny was quoted as saying, it appears to me that the Inman email had more in it than just the highly publicized part about Plushenko acknowledging that he and Joubert had no transitions.
    At the least perhaps we can agree on one thing … Joe Inman’s email, regardless of Inman’s claim that he was just sharing an email with friends who happen to be judges, simply boils down to pure politics! Johnny is absolutely right about that. And, the email is quite fascinating too in that its always been old hat for the “Soviets” and the “eastern bloc countries” to be accused of fs politicking, so to see it being openly publicized as coming from a “Western bloc” judge with the requisite denial of any intent to sway the Olympic judging, hmmmm …

In any case, Johnny paid a huge price, as usual, for speaking out at the Olympics. Oh well, the judges didn't do themselves or the sport any favors. And, contrary to what the judges seemingly intended by marking Johnny down..., an even larger spotlight was shined on Johnny (yeah of course, coming in 6th was just a ploy by Johnny "to keep himself in the news.")

It's very sad for people to think that Johnny says or does things to keep himself in the news. He was asked what he felt about the Inman email, and he wasn't afraid to answer honestly. He also wasn't afraid to call a press conference and speak out about the clueless bashing by two Canadian commentators.

http://olympics-blogger.blogs.cbsspo...93547/20208529

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6-MA...ext=1&index=73

For those wondering why Johnny received HRC Visibility Award

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKS_9eaDTJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68bdNba4umk

"Out of ugly ... make something beautiful." Johnny Weir
    Last edited by aftershocks; 10-31-2010 at 07:05 AM.

vCash
    New outfit

vCash
    Well it it Halloween. I think it was partially inspired by Christina Arguilera's "Whoohoo" song. Maybe that outfit will be put to good use later that night...and the night after .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starbucks View Post
    New outfit
    That's Johnny...

"Out of ugly ... make something beautiful." Johnny Weir
    That costume puts this quote to the test.........

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast