Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Great...another crappy Christian movie - now starring one of the Baldwins

Christmas With a Capital C movie trailer on Youtube

The fact that Ted McGinley is also in this is another clue how bad this movie is going to be.

BTW - Sherwood Pictures (Flywheel, Facing the Giants, Fireproof) - the film company with Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, will be have a new movie - Courageous - out in 2011. I believe they have the Duggar family in the film as extras.

And I say this as a Christian - the Christian culture needs to stop putting out this kind level of quality stuff if it want to really be more effective with the arts. Have you ever been to a Christian bookstore? Some of the worst stuff ever published.

I do live in Virginia Beach and I wonder who are these people in my area who are watching the 700 Club. I mean, there is a reason why you are on TV when most people are at work.

And it isn't like I haven't seen people who are active in churches who are GREAT artists, singers, actors, etc. No wonder they stick to only to the secular audience - where they are allowed to make stuff that's actually at least half good.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepaydays View Post
    Won't somebody think of the poor persecuted Christians?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Aw, I love Christmas movies!

I know a place...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepaydays View Post
    Christmas With a Capital C movie trailer on Youtube

The fact that Ted McGinley is also in this is another clue how bad this movie is going to be.

BTW - Sherwood Pictures (Flywheel, Facing the Giants, Fireproof) - the film company with Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, will be have a new movie - Courageous - out in 2011. I believe they have the Duggar family in the film as extras.

And I say this as a Christian - the Christian culture needs to stop putting out this kind level of quality stuff if it want to really be more effective with the arts. Have you ever been to a Christian bookstore? Some of the worst stuff ever published.

I do live in Virginia Beach and I wonder who are these people in my area who are watching the 700 Club. I mean, there is a reason why you are on TV when most people are at work.

And it isn't like I haven't seen people who are active in churches who are GREAT artists, singers, actors, etc. No wonder they stick to only to the secular audience - where they are allowed to make stuff that's actually at least half good.
    I completely agree with you. I've actually had people from my church tell me that I shouldn't say the Left Behind movies are bad because of the message they have. I don't have as much trouble with Christian novels but thats because I'm picky lol. But as far as movies go, I am sick of people from my church trying to force me to watch crappy movies because they are Christian and we have to support them. I don't think I should be required to watch this dreck if it isn't any good.

I will admit that I didn't find Facing The Giants to be completely terrible, but I refuse to watch Fireproof because I can't stand Kirk Cameron. It drives me nuts because I know so many people who wonder why Christian's aren't making a bigger impact on the arts. I honestly wonder if they really pay attention to what quality really is.

Since the last Christian movies that came out that weren't totally crap was 2004, I don't know how much hope there really is for the Christian movie industry at this point. Unless people are willing to make quality product and not just make every little thing that seems like it might be a good idea.

vCash
    Nice timing -- I just read this piece by a friend of mine. (She writes EXCELLENT Christian novels, by the way. Nothing hokey or cringe-inducing about them, like there are about so very many others.) Some good thoughts in the comments, too.

http://www.marydemuth.com/2010/09/wh...-to-be-cheesy/
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Nice timing -- I just read this piece by a friend of mine. (She writes EXCELLENT Christian novels, by the way. Nothing hokey or cringe-inducing about them, like there are about so very many others.) Some good thoughts in the comments, too.

Thanks, this was really interesting, especially the comments.

Since I was raised in a generally non-church-going household, I have to admit I don't totally understand the "if you are a real Christian you should only watch Christian movies/read Christian books/listen to Christian music" perspective. I mean, that other "non-Christian" stuff is part of the world too, imperfect and/or scary as it might be. You might not agree with what someone like Trent Reznor or Marilyn Manson or Quentin Tarantino has to say, but exposing yourself to it doesn't mean you're endorsing it or supporting it.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash

And even if you HAVE money, it can still be bad. Battlefield Earth, anyone?

I think what makes a movie good is believable characters. You have to work the story through the characters first, and I think if it ends up with a particular message, then great. But shoehorning a political or religious message in a fictional movie is waaay more often than not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Thanks, this was really interesting, especially the comments.

Since I was raised in a generally non-church-going household, I have to admit I don't totally understand the "if you are a real Christian you should only watch Christian movies/read Christian books/listen to Christian music" perspective. I mean, that other "non-Christian" stuff is part of the world too, imperfect and/or scary as it might be. You might not agree with what someone like Trent Reznor or Marilyn Manson or Quentin Tarantino has to say, but exposing yourself to it doesn't mean you're endorsing it or supporting it.
    In a nutshell, a lot of it has to do with avoiding temptation (lust, greed, pride, etc.), and keeping oneself from getting desensitized. But sometimes it does get taken way, way too far.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash

Thanks, I enjoyed reading her piece. It was quite thought provoking.

It has taken time for both Christian music and Christian books to grow. I would think Christian films are along a similar path. Yes, the Left Behind movies are major cheese, but then again so are the books!

One Christian movie I enjoyed in the last few years was Amazing Grace. To me it was a wonderful movie, with a strong faith message. Yet, at the same time, it was not hitting you over the head with that message.

I know a place...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Thanks, I enjoyed reading her piece. It was quite thought provoking.

It has taken time for both Christian music and Christian books to grow. I would think Christian films are along a similar path. Yes, the Left Behind movies are major cheese, but then again so are the books!

One Christian movie I enjoyed in the last few years was Amazing Grace. To me it was a wonderful movie, with a strong faith message. Yet, at the same time, it was not hitting you over the head with that message.
    I haven't seen Amazing Grace yet, but I do plan to. I liked The Ultimate Gift as well. It is a bit cheesy but not to over the top.

vCash
    Those Baldwins!

I was counting on its being either John or Don.

vCash
    In a nutshell, a lot of it has to do with avoiding temptation (lust, greed, pride, etc.), and keeping oneself from getting desensitized. But sometimes it does get taken way, way too far.
    But then wouldn't a proper Christian movie show all of these temptations, then show the Christian characters resisting them when offered? I mean, otherwise it's as if those temptations don't exist at all. There's no powerful conflict then, no compelling story.

I'm not a religious person, but I do like messages in my stories. However, I don't like it when a specific religion is mentioned. "Jesus helped me get over my wife's death!" It feels like propaganda to me. You can have a movie with Christian ideals that don't mention specific things. I really like Switchfoot's music because of that reason - they were originally known as a Christian rock band and have expanded their audience, but their songs can easily be interpreted as having Christian ideals without naming them specifically.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    But then wouldn't a proper Christian movie show all of these temptations, then show the Christian characters resisting them when offered? I mean, otherwise it's as if those temptations don't exist at all. There's no powerful conflict then, no compelling story.
    I think what Wyliefan meant is that Christians are supposed to avoid the temptations listed by overedge themselves in their daily lives, not that they aren't supposed to make movies about them.

And honest Christian movies wouldn't show Christians resisting temptations; it would show some of them resisting and others not, and how that evolves--great stories are based on those very themes. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a movie but a sermon, which is one of the problems with Christian movies in which everyone does the right thing. But......

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    You can have a movie with Christian ideals that don't mention specific things.
    Sometimes, if you are creating some sort of generic movie. But sometimes you can't, too. How would you make The Exorcist without Catholics? How could you make Yentl without Judaism? Allah Made Me Funny without Islam? Would you consider those propoganda films because they specifically focus on a particular religion?

If Christianity is integral to the theme, then it is. I don't get this "don't ask, don't tell" attitude toward Christianity; why NOT be specific? It disturbs me more when people aren't upfront about who they are; to me THAT'S propoganda, it's just sneaky and deceptive.

If the movie is supposed to be about Christians dealing with the temptations of the world, what would be their motivation for resisting or regretting not resisting temptation if Christianity is avoided as an issue? Where does the conflict arise and what would the resolution be based on?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    I LOVED that one! Such a great story and great performances.

vCash
    OY.

I am with those who decry all the shlocky music, art and writing that's supposedly done to further the faith. We've come a longggggggg way since Bach, Michelangelo, etc. And not in the right direction!

vCash
    Have any of you seen The Hiding Place? It came out years ago & had Jack Albertson & Julie Harris & Eileen Heckard among others in it. It was an excellent & professional movie about a Christian Dutch family who were sent to concentration camps for hiding Jews in their home. It had a compelling story with excellent characters & good acting. This is the kind of Christian movie that should be made IMO.

vCash
    In some cases, I suspect that Christian leaders involved are purposely dumbing the movies down because they don’t trust the intellectual capacity of the average movie goer. Not that I agree with that sentiment anymore than the general population of movie goers, but I have read pieces about pastors dumbing their sermons down for the same reason.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    When does this movie come out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Have any of you seen The Hiding Place? It came out years ago & had Jack Albertson & Julie Harris & Eileen Heckard among others in it. It was an excellent & professional movie about a Christian Dutch family who were sent to concentration camps for hiding Jews in their home. It had a compelling story with excellent characters & good acting. This is the kind of Christian movie that should be made IMO.
    ITA!
    It was a teriffic movie,
    Great performance and an inspiring story that could be appreciated whether you were a Christian, or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I think what Wyliefan meant is that Christians are supposed to avoid the temptations listed by overedge themselves in their daily lives, not that they aren't supposed to make movies about them.

And honest Christian movies wouldn't show Christians resisting temptations; it would show some of them resisting and others not, and how that evolves--great stories are based on those very themes. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a movie but a sermon, which is one of the problems with Christian movies in which everyone does the right thing. But..
    Right. That's what I meant but couldn't put into words late last night. Sermons turn me off, for sure. You're completely right in that some great movies do involve specific religions as an integral part of their story, but I certainly don't see The Exorcist or The Godfather as sermons touting how great Catholicism is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast