vCash

Coping With Metal Allergies

Myskate on the "Help Getting Rings Off" thread gave me the idea for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskate View Post
    Wow, I thought I was the only one with the metal allergy. Growing up, I had so many rings cut off because my fingers would swell as soon as I put them on. This was very expensive because I was usually shopping at the time. By the time I was 12, I knew to never try on jewelry. By luck, I found out the only jewelry that I can safely wear is white gold. My body chemistry is so weird that the yellow gold crown in my mouth turned black within two weeks of placing it. The dentist didn't believe me when I told him it wouldn't work. They had to replace it with a porcelain one. He wanted to charge me twice but I refused to pay because I had warned him something would happen.
    My younger DD became allergic to metals, even stainless steel. The only metals she could wear were titanium and niobium. For you who are allergic, keep in mind that these allergies can come and go.

Here are some of the things we did to cope:

• Paint earrings with clear nail polish
    • Only buy watches with plastic backs
    • Bought a huge lot of titanium and niobium ear wires

What other things have you found that have helped?

vCash

Coping with Metal Allergies

Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    Myskate on the "Help Getting Rings Off" thread gave me the idea for this thread.

My younger DD became allergic to metals, even stainless steel. The only metals she could wear were titanium and niobium. For you who are allergic, keep in mind that these allergies can come and go.

Here are some of the things we did to cope:

• Paint earrings with clear nail polish
    • Only buy watches with plastic backs
    • Bought a huge lot of titanium and niobium ear wires

What other things have you found that have helped?

I have a nickel allergy, and I started making my own jewelry. Luckily, I can wear sterling silver and gold (14K or greater), so I learned silversmithing (still just beginning to get my feet wet in gold - fear and expense).

I am seeing a lot more jewelry for people with allergies, so I'd keep looking on the internet and in stores. Even regular department stores are doing a lot more nickel free than they used to.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    My sister is allergic to metal. I think she's fine with most jewelry (as long as it's not worn 24/7), but she has tried having her ears pierced several times and each time it's been a disaster, so she gave up on having pierced ears in her 20s.

I have an extremely mild metal allergy, in that any piercings I've had take a lot longer to heal than most people, but once they've healed it's been ok. Hearing the story about the gold crown makes me glad none of my dental work is metal!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have had my eye brow pierced twice and a few other piercings and not a single one of them worked out. I just can't deal with the metal, apparently. My eyebrow piercing literally fell out on its own one day. My body rejected it until it finally came out, like a splinter!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I actually was allergic to the metal in my braces for my teeth as a teenager. The swelling and inflammation would go down eventually, but the first few days after any new piece of hardware was added was torture.

vCash
    I really don't wear much jewelry. My wedding ring, when it is sized correctly is about it. Watches are a no-no because they stop working when I put them on. I do have pearls which I can wear. Good thing I love them. I have white and black ones. This is about the extent of my jewelry box. I've coated the clasps in clear nail polish but I don't wear them as often as I should. I have matching earrings but my holes swell up so much when I put in the post I've just stopped wearing them.

I guess I just learned to do without jewelry. My husband thinks it is both an advantage and disadvantage. It is harder to buy me gifts but it is also much cheaper.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Wait, watches stop working when you put them on? Is this like some coincidence and you are just saying you have bad luck with watches or does your body do something? I'm confused.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    My grandson has the nickel allergy, which showed up when he was around three. He couldn't even wear clothes with metal snaps because they'd leave a perfect rash ring where they touched his skin. It got much worse over the next few years, with a terrible itchy rash on most of his body despite being extra careful. He's blonde and fair; don't know if that made it worse or not. The only thing that ever cleared it up completely was a steroid injection, but that was a one-time thing. He's thirteen now and the bad breakouts are much more rare. He recently bought himself a cheap necklace at a theme park and broke out within a day of putting it on.

vCash
    I have the nickel allergy, which makes earrings a bitch. I have ten holes in one ear and five in the other.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Sigh, that's twice now I read this as "Coping With Mental Allergies."

And not from lack of either

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Wait, watches stop working when you put them on? Is this like some coincidence and you are just saying you have bad luck with watches or does your body do something? I'm confused.
    I kill watches, too. Not instantly, but they never last more than a few months, so I gave up years ago.

vCash
    That's how I am too. They work for 3 or 4 weeks, then they stop. Noone believes me until they see it. I can wear a watch-pin on my clothing and it is fine. I always thought that I had bad luck with watches but windup or battery, they always die on me.