Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SYTYCD Tour

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    OK-I survived. I even had fun for the second half. The order of performance seemed to be the same as above. But let me warn anyone-if you have tickets for seats "on the floor," be prepared not to see anything! Gwinnett Arena is formatted so that the "bowl" has perfect seating in a horseshoe around the stage, but then they stack another few thousand in folding chairs on the floor where I found myself. If you are 5'4" like me, forget seeing anything. Sure there are jumbotrons, but it really isn't the same as seeing those kids live. So the first half was for me simply a mash of bits and pieces. There's a big Bollywood finale to the first half that was adorable!

Then there was the screaming....but hey-these kids are just having fun, even though I truly wanted to kill the child beside me.

Then for the second half, the friends we went went insisted that I go sit with the wife...in the center of the front row! No lie! I saw tonsils on those dancers. They were ten feet away. It was like having on-ice seats for Stars on Ice only closer.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. I was blown away by how charismatic and what a star Russell is. I think he was my favorite. He's incredible at his "specialty" but it is so obvious in his body line and execution that he has so much more training! And he has a beautiful instrument. I'd love to see him do something else with it.

They used Robert so much in the first half! But I did get to see him do much in the second-the balloons, Fix You, etc. When he's in an ensemble, they always had him front and center, and it was obvious to me that he has a lot of professionalism and range. Kent is fabulous but he's always Kent. Robert interpreted whatever was appropriate for the dance. And Kent should NEVER, ever do Bollywood again after this tour! Ade was another standout for me - the other most professional and so strong and sure in his movement. Lauren is great, but I just can't get too excited. Sweet girl though. Kathryn is just the most gorgeous thing I've seen in ages-and what a body for dance. I found her my favorite girl.

But...Billy stole my heart. He's maybe really the best dancer of them all, and his emotional input is without peer. Consumate artist. His commitment and acting skills in Mad World had us in tears. I was within ten feet of him, and his total immersion in the role was wonderful to experience.

Richard as a press photographer got to take the opening and the first group dance only. Then everyone had to take their cameras away! He took 250 images and said he might have a few. I guess he'll work on them today.

Overall, the group of performers spoke so well. I heard last year they sounded awkward, so they must have worked on this. Each dancer got some microphone time to introduce or do funny little dialogues. They performed these well and smoothly without sounding like amateurs. Robert was especially good at this, but then again, I'm very prejudiced for him!

I recommend going, but be sure you have a seat where you can see!
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 09-28-2010 at 01:59 PM.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Loved reading your thoughts, Holley! I'm glad to hear I didn't miss much being on the floor (that's where I wanted to sit but they were only available through auction here).

Billy's dancing is simply

vCash
    Billy injured his Ankle in KC (doing Bollywood) and that would have been a nightmare for me if it was too serious. Luckily he just tapes it up. He's the big reason I'm going to tour. Although I adore Kathryn,Tightrope and hip hop is not what I want to see her in.

This youtube user has HD video of the St Louis performance

http://www.youtube.com/user/usagicas...18/bIb0ktL9UgA

vCash
    Here are the best of the photos Richard took.

http://www.pbase.com/rcalmes/so_you_think_you_can_dance

He was only allowed as a press photographer to take the first three dances which included the introduction....but I think he got some nice ones. The PR firm has to see them and ok which ones can be published, so I don't know how long this gallery will be up!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Holley - those are great. I love Kent and Ade or Adechike in the backflip, but my faves are Billy in the splits, Adechike in the air, and LoFro in the backbend. But there are a lot of great ones.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Thanks Rob. I get crazy looking at those two guys flipping in the air together. Wow! Glad you like them. Your opinion means a lot!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Thanks Rob. I get crazy looking at those two guys flipping in the air together. Wow! Glad you like them. Your opinion means a lot!
    Thanks! and I keep marveling how he got the 2 guys flipping at just the same angle. Amazing!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Here are the best of the photos Richard took.

http://www.pbase.com/rcalmes/so_you_think_you_can_dance

He was only allowed as a press photographer to take the first three dances which included the introduction....but I think he got some nice ones. The PR firm has to see them and ok which ones can be published, so I don't know how long this gallery will be up!
    Mad FLOVE!!! for the photo of Ade and Kent in the SBS backflips

I also love the one of Russell and Lauren in the hip hop duet where she's in the pike and he's holding her feet.

Great shots all around!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    The last two shows saw these changes:

Fallen and Fever are gone and Adechike's Courtney stair jazz was added but he only has one partner dance now. So if he's a favorite don't go to tour.

Tightrope is gone and Lauren's first week pop-jazz with Ade has been Added. As well as her If I was a boy with Dom.

Robert now has a solo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Mad FLOVE!!! for the photo of Ade and Kent in the SBS backflips

I also love the one of Russell and Lauren in the hip hop duet where she's in the pike and he's holding her feet.

Great shots all around!
    Glad you like! I'll tell Richard. He loves to please!

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    The photos practically leap off the page! I especially love how Richard captured movement with the dancers' hair. Is Robert photogenic, or what?

vCash
    For those interested, the NYC SYTYCD auditions are November 15th at BAM.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    This isn't related to the tour, but tonight I'm going to a film called Leading Ladies that costars Benji Schwimmer! He's not the main reason I'm going, but it'll be interesting to see him.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    OMG, this movie is great! It's called Leading Ladies, was made by a dancer I knew 15 years ago (and her husband). One of the stars of the film is Melanie LaPatin!! She is freaking FAB. The film is kind of a lesbian Hairspray (original recipe, not the musical) - very over the top but with some real heart underneath. Benji was great (and had a smokin duet with another guy that he choreographed), and there's a dance scene that includes Kherington, Courtney Galliano, Katee Shean and Sara the B-girl. The film is playing in a bunch of festivals this fall. Benji and Melanie will be at the screening in DC on Nov 5.

http://www.leadingladiesmovie.com/

moving right along
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    OMG, this movie is great! It's called Leading Ladies, was made by a dancer I knew 15 years ago (and her husband). One of the stars of the film is Melanie LaPatin!! She is freaking FAB. The film is kind of a lesbian Hairspray (original recipe, not the musical) - very over the top but with some real heart underneath. Benji was great (and had a smokin duet with another guy that he choreographed), and there's a dance scene that includes Kherington, Courtney Galliano, Katee Shean and Sara the B-girl. The film is playing in a bunch of festivals this fall. Benji and Melanie will be at the screening in DC on Nov 5.

http://www.leadingladiesmovie.com/
    Why isn't this on available from NetFlix???? oh. ok. I'll keep searching for it until it finally gets released to DVD.

vCash
    It just came out and is way indie. I meant to ask at the Q&A if/when it was coming out on DVD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12