Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    yes he did sometimes. I think in 99 his coach was ill, and Dmitrenko choreograhped his short program as a surprise for his coash when he returned from hospital. he also sometimes composed his own music. I so agree: Dmitrenko for choreography: NOW!

thanks for the link Ziggy, what a talented kid! his use of edges and the great footwork and movement seems to come totally natural to him.

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Whoa, Nathan Chen! Who the heck does his choreography? Amazing.

vCash
    Dmitri Dmitrenko's Birds SP blew me away. I can't believe I was seeing so much content for a routine that was performed 15 years ago and yet still be musical with high performance quality. That's what figure skating should look like.

Didn't Elena Liashenko do a SP with birds in it as well? I think around 2006.

His music reminded me of one of my favorite gymnastics routines by Oksana Omelianchik from the USSR back in 1985.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dSr34SjUJM
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    yes he did sometimes. I think in 99 his coach was ill, and Dmitrenko choreograhped his short program as a surprise for his coash when he returned from hospital. he also sometimes composed his own music.
    yay a Dmitri Dimitrenko thread!

I can't remember what year, but didn't he compose an SP to his own minimalist computer music and then record his own voice saying "double axel" "flying spin" etc. when he was supposed to perform each element? I have a really strong memory of this, with a costume with CD's sewed onto it for decoration. Am I crazy or did this happen?

I think I remember that '99 SP too - wasn't that the SP to Shostakovich called "The Choreography Lesson" - he would do this complicated one-foot footwork into the lutz, land it, stop, turn around and then wipe his brow with a "whew" gesture?

He's still the only skater I've ever seen complete a circular footwork sequence - the entire circle - on one foot. He struggled a bit with jumping but had great edges and power and used his odd choreography and themes to disguise his weaknesses. Just the fact that I remember all these odd quirky details of his programs from 12-15 years ago says to me that the man was genius!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12