Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 394

Thread: Rise: the Movie

  1. #161

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    re. Tim Brown:

    I just re-watched his 1960 Nationals LP this weekend and must say: Tim Brown must have been the "Weir Spirit" of his day!!! He skated his last jump OFF the ice and onto the walkway and ran backstage, never going out for a bow. No wonder the USFS judges (in their hilarious dunce hats!) scored this three-times Worlds medalist (2 silvers and one bronze) and 1960 Olympian (5th place) very low in presentation, even a 5.0. I suppose that he was bitter for having been in 3rd place after figures, so he basically "pulled a Surya" and said "feck-it" to the establishment.

    In retrospect, his bitterness saved his life. He could have gone to Worlds but ceded his spot to 4th-place Doug Ramsey.

    re. upcoming DVD of RISE: This is great news. Even better would be if the producers could include the complete 1961 Nationals telecast as an "extra"! (It's about 90 minutes but, hey, it doesn't hurt to ask...maybe make it a 2-DVD set?)

  2. #162
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,763
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9172
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    re. Tim Brown:

    I just re-watched his 1960 Nationals LP this weekend and must say: Tim Brown must have been the "Weir Spirit" of his day!!! He skated his last jump OFF the ice and onto the walkway and ran backstage, never going out for a bow. No wonder the USFS judges (in their hilarious dunce hats!) scored this three-times Worlds medalist (2 silvers and one bronze) and 1960 Olympian (5th place) very low in presentation, even a 5.0. I suppose that he was bitter for having been in 3rd place after figures, so he basically "pulled a Surya" and said "feck-it" to the establishment.

    In retrospect, his bitterness saved his life. He could have gone to Worlds but ceded his spot to 4th-place Doug Ramsey.

    re. upcoming DVD of RISE: This is great news. Even better would be if the producers could include the complete 1961 Nationals telecast as an "extra"! (It's about 90 minutes but, hey, it doesn't hurt to ask...maybe make it a 2-DVD set?)
    Artistically Tim was waaay ahead of his time. So unique, groundbreaking in many ways. I've never read anything about his being bitter at the establishment. He withdrew from the World team due to a serious illness - I'm sure I read it was a heart condition somewhere but I'm not sure. It was this that saved his life not bitterness at the USFSA.

    I have been told from someone who was there that his 1957 US Nationals LP was artistically just amazing, although I have never seen it. I do hope it turns up. I also agree that adding in a DVD of the 1961 would be a great touch. I have it already but the quality is not the best as you can see from the clip of Doug Ramsey I posted. From the RISE promo's and trailers I have seen, it does seem as though a lot of restoration work has gone into the original film reels.

  3. #163

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Does anyone know if the 1990s pro champ Anita Hartshorne (who skated pairs with Frank Sweiding) is related to the skating judge & ice dancer Harold Hartshorne who perished in the 1961 crash, along with his 4th wife Louisa ?

    to floskate -

    Thanks for the answers re. Brown, etc. Yes, I too had read of the illness reason for pulling out but I've also read that it was an iffy excuse, that he also just wanted to get on with his studies. Then I saw the film and how he stormed off the ice...or jumped off or whatever. Even Dick Button said "This guy is hard to predict..." or something similar.

    Regardless of the reason for not being on the Worlds team...do you know why he simply jumped from the ice to the walkway and kept going, without a single bow? Whether talked about or not, it definitely gave the impression that he was fed up. A crazy gesture.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-07-2011 at 05:22 PM.

  4. #164
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,763
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9172
    I'm not sure it was any kind of gesture, but an actual choreographic choice. That's what I've been told by those that knew him John Curry did it also in one of his professional programs at MSG.

  5. #165

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I'm not sure it was any kind of gesture, but an actual choreographic choice. That's what I've been told by those that knew him John Curry did it also in one of his professional programs at MSG.
    But I bet that John Curry came out and bowed to the audience after. So did Scott Hamilton after his pro routine "In the Mood" at World Pros...although I believe that the music suddently blared and he skated back onto the ice. That's a classic. (Sorry to digress!)

  6. #166
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,763
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9172
    It cuts straight to the judges marks on the video so there is no way of really knowing if he did come out to bow or not, unless someone who was there can enlighten us. Perhaps the original broadcast - much like today - went to a commercial break at this point? Considering the lack of technical content and the step outs on the lutz and flip I think it's highly possible he was injured or even already suffering from the illness that prompted his withdrawal from the World team.

  7. #167

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Here's a Lake Placid (NY) News article that interviews author Patricia Shelley Bushman about her new book, Indelible Tracings: The story of the 1961 U.S. World Figure Skating Team:
    http://www.lakeplacidnews.com/page/c....html?nav=5005
    Many of the skaters who perished had a close connection to Lake Placid, which, at the time, was even more of a premier destination for summer skating than it is now. The book devotes a chapter to the “Lake Placid Connection” shared by many athletes such as William Kipp, Rhode Lee Michelson and Larry Pierce, detailing accounts of their training and exploits in the Olympic Village. Of athletes Danny Ryan and Carol Ann Peters, Bushman writes: “Away from the rink, they went on hay rides, partied at someone’s home, or roller skated down the center of Main Street — a popular activity until police caught them one night.”

  8. #168

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I can't seem to find it -- anyone know how long the film lasts? The friend I invited may have to work an early shift the next day, and doesn't want to be out too late.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  9. #169

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    It cuts straight to the judges marks on the video so there is no way of really knowing if he did come out to bow or not, unless someone who was there can enlighten us. Perhaps the original broadcast - much like today - went to a commercial break at this point? Considering the lack of technical content and the step outs on the lutz and flip I think it's highly possible he was injured or even already suffering from the illness that prompted his withdrawal from the World team.
    Oh, you'll want to look again. He runs off and the long-shot camera stays with them after he went through the door/tunnel to the dressing room. Some of the officials standing by the boards, including a nurse, went running into the dressing room, after him. It could be that he was seriously ill (?).

    I too have the 'shaky' version of the entire broadcast on tape, recently converted to DVD. Watched all this weekend. When I first saw it 3-4 years ago, I was most taken by the three ladies, especially the artistry of the winner, Laurence Owen, and the sheer power of the 1st minute of Rhode L. Michelson's skate. Every skate is a gem but, at the latest viewing, I have to say that my new-absolute-fave from this film is the men's winner, Bradley Lord's, skate to Pagliacci, especially his series of four quickly-alternating spread eagles in time to a crucial piece of music...hard to describe except that the effect was "WOW!" . [Many of the skaters opted for orchestral arrangements of opera/operetta, e.g., Aida, Tosca, Perichole, Pagliacci, etc.] I also have a soft spot for the "guy in the glasses," Larry Pierce, who seemed to be a really fun person even in those few seconds of interview with Dick Button & Bud Palmer. They all were great, really...a gem of a telecast, on many levels.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-07-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

  10. #170

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I can't seem to find it -- anyone know how long the film lasts? The friend I invited may have to work an early shift the next day, and doesn't want to be out too late.
    Ninety (90) minutes, including ads, fluff, etc....if you mean the 1961 telecast, that is.

    I checked fandango.com for the new film, RISE. Couldn't find the time, although this would normally be included in the fandango blurb. Feature docs are usually 80-90 minutes but aren't they adding some special 'live' performances from current skater(s)...Evan? Hence, I'm guessing that this will be a 2-hour event (film + special skates)? I'd be really surprised if this goes past 2 hours, total.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-07-2011 at 06:35 PM.

  11. #171
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,763
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9172
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Look again. He runs off. Some of the officials standing by the boards, including a nurse, went running into the dressing room, after him. It could be that he was seriously ill (?).
    Yes I know but then it cuts abruptly to the referee whistling for the marks so, as I say, we may never really know. I agree it's wonderful to be able to see the whole broadcast. I also wonder if they've managed to get hold of the 1961 North American Championships which were held just days before the flight. I have some home video of it but it's hard to make out who everyone is. By all accounts Laurance Owen skated much better there than she did at Nationals.

    ETA: Reading that article posted by Sylvia, you'd think that it was only the skating team and those associated with them who were onboard! Never mind all those non-skating civilians who also perished! However this book looks much more promising than Nikki Nichols book on the tragedy which is full of inaccuracies, not to mention the wierd made up dialogue that punctuates it throughout.

  12. #172

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Ninety (90) minutes, including ads, fluff, etc....if you mean the 1961 telecast, that is.

    I checked fandango.com for the new film, RISE. Couldn't find the time, although this would normally be included in the fandango blurb. Feature docs are usually 80-90 minutes but aren't they adding some special 'live' performances from current skater(s)...Evan? Hence, I'm guessing that this will be a 2-hour event (film + special skates)? I'd be really surprised if this goes past 2 hours, total.
    I meant the film. Thanks for checking.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  13. #173

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, I was wondering if, on another thread, any FSUer had compared the two books on the '61 team and the crash -

    Frozen in Time (2005) by Nikki Nichols

    and

    Indelible Tracings (2010) by Patricia S. Bushman

    ...other than the fact that the latter is 300 pages longer than the former. Sounds like the newer tome is better researched, more complete. The earlier one was nice-to-have but quite sketchy. I've just ordered the newer one from Amazon.com. Looking forward to reading it...hopefully before the RISE premiere.

  14. #174

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,284
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    I haven't seen "Anita Hartshorn" that is spelled with an e. I don't think it is the same name.

  15. #175

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I haven't seen "Anita Hartshorn" that is spelled with an e. I don't think it is the same name.
    It's spelled with an "e" - "Hartshorne" - on Golden Skate lists:

    http://www.goldenskate.com/competiti...oam/jaca.shtml
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-07-2011 at 08:07 PM.

  16. #176

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Just saw that an exhibit in honor of the 1961 U.S. Team opens tomorrow at 4:30pm, local time, at the USFS hq's museum in Colorado Springs. The author of Indelible Tracings will be there for tomorrow's opener, along with members of the current Team USA!

    http://www.worldskatingmuseum.org/61_exhibit.htm

  17. #177
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,535
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    I asked about the DVD at the Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast at US Nationals when they were giving a lecture about Rise and they said a DVD would indeed be released about October 2011. Dont know the price.
    That would be COOL!!!! I hope they release it...unedited.

  18. #178
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,535
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Re: questions on Marilyn Meeker (Larry Pierce's former partner) and Scott Ethan Allen-IIRC Meeker eventually formed a pro partnership with Ron Ludington. Later she taught skating for a time in Indiana and, I think, eventually left the sport to pursue other things. Allen continued competing after '64 but there were a lot of other strong men in the U.S., including Tim Wood, Misha Petkevich and Gary Visounti, and he didn't make the '68 Olympic team. He did compete at '68 Worlds and placed 4th. He then went to Harvard, so I assume he made a career outside of figure skating.
    So, are we saying that Maillyn found a new Partner after Larry? As well as coached? Were is she today? Does she still skate?

  19. #179
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,715
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I can't seem to find it -- anyone know how long the film lasts? The friend I invited may have to work an early shift the next day, and doesn't want to be out too late.
    Per IMDB the documentary RISE (2011) is 75 minutes long:

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1808440/

  20. #180

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5116
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Per IMDB the documentary RISE (2011) is 75 minutes long:

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1808440/
    There is also a post-show, with the exhibitions that were filmed at Nats. I originally heard about a red carpet arrival/pre-show that would be aired before the movie started. I think the whole thing together is about an hour and a half.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •