Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Rise: the Movie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    So pics were just taken from books,etc. for the film,and they tell the story?
    The filmmakers interviewed the family members and relatives, friends, students (Frank Carroll was a student of Maribel Vinson Owen's -- see the article link I posted on the previous page, post #57), etc., of those who died in the 1961 plane crash and they most likely shared their personal photos and memorabilia about them for this film.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-09-2011 at 11:52 PM.

vCash
    Gee,I wonder who's families ARE still around? BTW. has there ever been any mention of existing sessesors to the skaters still living? Any kids of theirs who followed them for ex.?

vCash
    Sheryl Ryan Nolan's father was one of the U.S. coaches who died in the plane crash -- Daniel "Danny" Ryan, the coach of ice dancers Diane Sherbloom and Larry Pierce. Sheryl was one-and-a-half years old at the time of her father's death and today is a figure skating coach herself. Here's a 2009 article about her and her son, Christopher Nolan, who competed in the Novice Pairs event at 2009 and 2010 US Nationals (I think he may be retired from competitive skating now?): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    Thanks to Sylvia and all the others who posted information about this film.

I'm shocked in a good way that 2 theatres are showing it here in my city. My sister and I attended the 25th anniversary tribute together, a skating show held in Indianapolis in 1986 (Celebration America on Ice), so we will continue the tradition and see the film together. I'm sure we will cry as much this time as we did in 1986.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Sheryl Ryan Nolan's father was one of the U.S. coaches who died in the plane crash -- Daniel "Danny" Ryan, the coach of ice dancers Diane Sherbloom and Larry Pierce. Sheryl was one-and-a-half years old at the time of her father's death and today is a figure skating coach herself. Here's a 2009 article about her and her son, Christopher Nolan, who competed in the Novice Pairs event at 2009 and 2010 US Nationals (I think he may be retired from competitive skating now?): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    cool!!!! Who is she coaching now...and for what Skating Club? Is she also a Learn to Skate coach? BTW. what about any of Diane's family the Sherblooms? Are they still alive and well? BTW. someone please let me know if it does go on DVD in stores or on Amazon. How much would it be?

vCash
    The tag line bugs the hell out of me.

It wasn't the end of a "dream".... it was the end of many peoples lives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ....The storytellers (narrators)....are: Brian Boitano, Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Scott Hamilton, Michelle Kwan.
    Thanks. I wonder if Michele Kwan will repeat her famous quote about having a "Cosmic Connection to Maribel Vinson Owen"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BackOnTheIce View Post
    The tag line bugs the hell out of me.

It wasn't the end of a "dream".... it was the end of many peoples lives.
    That it was. And the non-skater/coach victims often seem forgotten.

vCash
    Review: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...m-review-70997
    PALM SPRINGS -- Beneath its layers of schmaltzy cheerleading for a sport that's hardly unsung, Rise is a heartfelt tribute to a dream team of skaters who died in a 1961 plane crash.

Bearing the U.S. Figure Skating imprimatur, this ode to the modern lineage of American ice champions amps the boosterism to an unnecessary degree. But with a collection of skating stars tracing the generational connections, and explaining in very personal terms how the perished athletes inspired them, the documentary, a world-premiere selection at the Palm Springs festival, packs an emotional punch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Thanks. I wonder if Michele Kwan will repeat her famous quote about having a "Cosmic Connection to Maribel Vinson Owen"?
    Had to get that in there, didn't you. Speaking of being repetitive...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Had to get that in there, didn't you. Speaking of being repetitive...
    I just find that "cosmic connection" comment so shallow New Age...not one of Kwan's brightest moments. I heard it again the other day while converting old Nationals tapes to DVD and shuddered. It's like the Dick Button Drinking Game...I'll drink something if I hear the "cosmic connection" once again. I'll be sure to take a tiny bottle of cognac to the RISE premiere, just for this, in case it happens.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I just find that "cosmic connection" comment so shallow New Age...not one of Kwan's brightest moments. I heard it again the other day while converting old Nationals tapes to DVD and shuddered. It's like the Dick Button Drinking Game...I'll drink something if I hear the "cosmic connection" once again. I'll be sure to take a tiny bottle of cognac to the RISE premiere, just for this, in case it happens.
    Your fixation on that phrase is truly fascinating.

vCash
    Any idea how ticket sales are going?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    Any idea how ticket sales are going?
    Going well!

From Rise twitter:

The world premiere of RISE may still be a month and a half away, but theaters are already starting to sell out!

vCash
    One of the most profound statements I have ever read about the crash of 1961, was a comment that was made by a member of the 1964 US Olympic Figure Skating team, "The [team] uniforms were too big, it was like they were meant to worn by someone else"

vCash
    Gee,I wonder who's families ARE still around? BTW. has there ever been any mention of existing sessesors to the skaters still living? Any kids of theirs who followed them for ex.?
    William Swallender, coach of Doug Ramsay was my coach's coach. I am currently teaching today and remember well Lois talking about Mr. Swallender (always with a tear in her eye).
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Just me
    vCash
    It's not typical of this area to host something like this. I was stunned to find it is coming to my neck of the woods and immediately ordered a ticket.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    cool!!!! Who is she coaching now...and for what Skating Club? Is she also a Learn to Skate coach?
    I believe Sheryl Ryan Nolan coaches in the Atlanta area and it's very likely she teaches beginner skaters, Learn-to-Skate classes, etc.

someone please let me know if it does go on DVD in stores or on Amazon. How much would it be?
    Don't worry FSWer, someone will let you know, I'm sure!

Here's a pic of Adam Rippon modeling his RISE tee shirt : http://yfrog.com/h36sffvj

vCash
    I'm always interested to see who's listed (acknowledged) in the end credits of films -- from the RISE web site: http://www.rise1961.com/about-the-film/credits/

Lookalike Wishes to Thank:

Roberto Angolini
    Tenley Albright
    The Atlanta Figure Skating Club
    Charles Basile
    Beth Bernhardt
    Brian Boitano
    The Broadmoor Hotel
    Dick Button
    Frank Carroll
    Howard Chilton
    Gary Clark
    The Danbury Ice Arena
    Meryl Davis
    Carol Ann Peters Duncan
    Marilyn Meeker Durham
    Peggy Fleming
    Rod Gay
    Doug Geldmacher
    Paul George
    Kate the Great
    Dorothy Hamill
    Scott Hamilton
    Eileen Seigh Honnen
    Hayes Alan Jenkins
    Carol Heiss Jenkins
    David Jenkins
    Christy Haigler Krall
    Michelle Kwan
    Ron Ludington
    Evan Lysacek
    Bob McIntyre
    Metropolis Studios
    Christine Moceri
    Glenn Morris
    Sheryl Ryan Nolan
    Diane Y. Robins
    Kevin Ryan
    Michael Ryan
    Patrick Ryan
    Sheryl Ryan
    Terri Ryan
    Matej Silecky
    Sportorama
    Elizabeth Swallow
    Jerod Swallow
    Matthew Thelen
    RoseAnne Ryan Wager
    Charlie White
    Barbara Roles Williams
    Tim Wood
    Benjamin Wright
    Sim Yoeman
    The Skating Club of Boston
    The Skating Club of Detroit
    The University of Delaware
    Vinson Owen School
    Winchester Town Hall

vCash
    Here are some photos of skaters and coaches helping to publicize the RISE film: http://web.icenetwork.com/gen/photog...f16431444.html

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast