Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Rise: the Movie

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Thanks for the clarifications on the times. I wasn't sure about that myself. I plan on getting there early too.

That ESPN article was phenomenal. Wow, what a beautiful piece about the people skating lost all those years ago. I'm going to need several packs of Kleenex tomorrow night.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I have ballet tickets so let me know how it is!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    Thanks for the clarifications on the times. I wasn't sure about that myself. I plan on getting there early too.

That ESPN article was phenomenal. Wow, what a beautiful piece about the people skating lost all those years ago. I'm going to need several packs of Kleenex tomorrow night.
    Same here. Puffs Plus for me though.

I was planning dinner and a movie. Due to the (seemingly) uncertain start time (my tickets say 8:00) I'm pushing dinner back at least a half hour earlier.

vCash
    Lovely article in the Tufts newspaper:
    Even for those lacking interest in figure skating, the tragedy provides a swift reality check about the importance of family and friends, which can appeal to all, regardless of sporting preference. To wit, Tufts baseball coach John Casey is bringing a contingent of his players to the see the film on Thursday in Revere, Mass.
    "[ Directors Lax and Stern Winters] bring out the human side of sports and athletics, and I think that sometimes it helps to clarify that it's not always about wins and losses," Casey said. "It has themes of resiliency and hard work and picking people up after their down, so why wouldn't you want to go see it?"

http://www.tuftsdaily.com/mobile/spo...rash-1.2470705

vCash
    If you're awake, the Today Show will be interviewing Scott Hamilton, Peggy Fleming, and Evan Lysacek about the 1961 crash and Rise within this hour.

It should be up online on Today's web site later in the day.

vCash
    I am assuming I can walk up and buy a ticket... Haven't been able to ensure I can attend yet!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I am assuming I can walk up and buy a ticket... Haven't been able to ensure I can attend yet!

It depends on your location. When I checked online yesterday, my first choice theater was sold out, but I did manage to get a ticket at my second choice venue.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by colinmom71 View Post
    If you're awake, the Today Show will be interviewing Scott Hamilton, Peggy Fleming, and Evan Lysacek about the 1961 crash and Rise within this hour.

It should be up online on Today's web site later in the day.
    As posted in the TV thread, it was in the 2nd half of the 8 a.m. 1/2 hour.
    Can't skate but love to watch

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Matt Lauer just mentioned as they came back at 8:30 that there is a repeat performance of RISE on Monday, March 7th. No further details....
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Check before you go, but there will probably be people who bought tickets online in advance but had a guest cancel at the last minute, so you could help them out by buying their extra ticket. I told my oldest DD that she should look around for someone needing to sell a ticket before she walks up to the ticket office.

The USFSA offered an autographed poster as a prize if the Clubs' home theater sold out, so there are groups attending. However, I don't think every theater will sell out. It's a school night and the skaters have to get up for freestyles in the morning, lol.

Only people who follow skating really know about the event. Most people think it's just a movie. When it was first announced, some people said they'd wait for the DVD.

I'm really psyched about it and looking forward to it. I love vintage skating footage and stories. I've heard Frank Carroll speak about Maribel Owen and her daughters before and enjoyed every minute of his stories. I hope he's half as humorous as he was at the conference I attended in Boston.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    Matt Lauer just mentioned as they came back at 8:30 that there is a repeat performance of RISE on Monday, March 7th. No further details....
    That pisses me off! They insisted that it was a "one time only" performance and now they announce there's an encore? That's taking advantage of people. At least wait until the movie's been shown and then you can claim "because of requests..." Tsk, tsk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Check before you go, but there will probably be people who bought tickets online in advance but had a guest cancel at the last minute, so you could help them out by buying their extra ticket. I told my oldest DD that she should look around for someone needing to sell a ticket before she walks up to the ticket office.

The USFSA offered an autographed poster as a prize if the Clubs' home theater sold out, so there are groups attending. However, I don't think every theater will sell out. It's a school night and the skaters have to get up for freestyles in the morning, lol.
    ITA. If you live in an area with lots of clubs, a resale may be the only way.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    That pisses me off! They insisted that it was a "one time only" performance and now they announce there's an encore? That's taking advantage of people. At least wait until the movie's been shown and then you can claim "because of requests..." Tsk, tsk.
    Why does it piss you off & how does it take advantage of people? They didn't announce a discount for the later show or something like that. Maybe the 2nd show IS "because of requests...". Jeeze

vCash
    Why wouldn't you be angry? The promoters lied to the public! It makes those of us who promoted the event look foolish for believing that they wouldn't lie about the "one time only" nature of the event and for not knowing about the second show. I'm sure they'll CYA by saying that there's no live broadcast for the second show, but still, they claimed repeatedly that this was the audience's ONLY opportunity to see this movie in theaters.

In writing and word, they've continually posted that this was a "one time only event." Suddenly, they started mentioning, "Oh and there'll be a second show..." That doesn't happen at the last minute - there are contracts involved. Yet, the organizers put pressure on those who wanted to attend this "special, one-time only" event to rearrange schedules to see it tonight. It's deflating to find out that we could just waited to see it next month, which may have been more convenient.

The second show has probably been planned for some time, but they wanted to fill the theaters for the simulcast at $15 a pop so they kept pushing the single-showing pressure. Now they let it slip that they will show a rebroadcast, hopefully at a lesser rate, since there won't be a live portion or a need for simulcasting.

Somehow, the DVD doesn't tick me off as much.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 02-17-2011 at 02:42 PM.

vCash
    Why wouldn't you be angry? The promoters lied to the public! ......
    The organizers probably meant "One-time event....LIVE version" - the live version is a one-time event. If repeated, it's no longer live. Let's cut 'em some slack. It's for a good cause. Regardless, hubby & I are totally pumped for tonight. The DC-area showing is in Ballston Commons Mall...site of our local rink where we skate/play hockey. Tons of our club members will be there. Fun - fun - fun before and after!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    In writing and word, they've continually posted that this was a "one time only event." Suddenly, they started mentioning, "Oh and there'll be a second show..." That doesn't happen at the last minute - there are contracts involved. Yet, the organizers put pressure on those who wanted to attend this "special, one-time only" event to rearrange schedules to see it tonight. It's deflating to find out that we could just waited to see it next month, which may have been more convenient.
    On the sectional conf calls last fall, the USFSA staff said that if ticket sales went really well, a second showing in theaters might happen, but that was up to the events co. So it was always on the table, but was never guaranteed, so I didn't count on it. I am missing club ice tonight (along with other people from my club) to see it, but I am not mad. I wanted to see the movie and the proceeds are for a good cause. If it had been too difficult to change my schedule and go tonight, I would have just waited for the DVD.

vCash
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An encore showing on March 7! This has made my day.
    I am unable to attend tonight,but I can make it on the 7th. I was so bummed this morning thinking about the movie I was going to miss tonight.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Debbie S;3077898]On the sectional conf calls last fall, the USFSA staff said that if ticket sales went really well, a second showing in theaters might happen, but that was up to the events co. So it was always on the table, but was never guaranteed, so I didn't count on it. [quote]

Wow - they actually said that to a select group that early in the process, but never revealed it to the public? That's sketchy. I understand about promoting your main event, but you have to do it honestly. Tsk, tsk. While it is for a good cause, I would never use that to excuse poor behavior. You can justify the ticket price, but not misleading people, sorry. (My husband was a professional fundraiser, so I'm a little sensitive to ethics issues.)

I'm not begrudging the second showing, but it does take away some of the special event atmosphere of tonight.
    I'm still looking forward to it and I'm volunteering at the theater, so don't get me wrong.

vCash
    Besides, aren't we jumping to conclusions here? Just because Matt Lauer mentioned that there might be a second showing? Did he mean everywhere or just in NYC? It took a lot of coordination to get theatres all over the country to host this on the same day. I can't seen them doing the whole thing again? But I can see "Rise" being released into individual theatres in markets that sold well, like NYC and Boston or into art theatres or film festivals. I'm pretty sure that there will be a DVD eventually but I'll bet they take their time releasing it until they're sure that the theatre market has been tapped out.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Our tickets were only $10 -- I wonder how much the Memorial Fund is going to get -- no idea how much they've got to pay the theater.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast