Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Rise: the Movie

vCash
    They were also looking for skating club volunteers to hand out exit survey cards after the show is over.

Quadless
    vCash
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Article about the impact of the 1961 plane crash with quotes by coach Linda Leaver, Joan Sherbloom Peterson (sister of Diane Sherbloom), Barbara Roles-Williams & more: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...005,full.story

ETA: Didn't see this 2/10 article link posted in this thread: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...05444528_x.htm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-12-2011 at 08:48 PM.

vCash
    see- the isu felt sorry for them, because of the medals, and the momentum the U,S. was bringing in the public attention due the medals in the previous Olympics and years, and television was just starting in more U.S. homes. So the Isu did the appropriate thing at that time and GAVE THe U.S. automatic 3 spots which by rules, they shouldn't have. BUT they broke the rules and did what they felt at that time morally right-decently, common sense right.
    Nowadays forget rules, what is right, they do just what the money wants and the heck with the rules.
    i wonder how many rules the U.s has bended to get what they want because of the money-not morally right, common sense right but only for money.

yup got away with rule bending then and every since.

vCash
    I hope skating fans will help keep this thread on topic and as informational/educational as possible.

Bountiful, Utah article: Local skaters honor ‘RISE,’ seek support with event
    The movie will be in theaters Feb. 17 for one night only, and the Utah Figure skating Club will be hosting the premiere with an event at the Pizza Kitchen in West Bountiful following the movie. Olympic Bronze medalist Jozef Sabovcik and world and national champion Holly Cook Tanner, both of whom are currently coaching in Davis County, will be hosting the event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    see- the isu felt sorry for them, because of the medals, and the momentum the U,S. was bringing in the public attention due the medals in the previous Olympics and years, and television was just starting in more U.S. homes. So the Isu did the appropriate thing at that time and GAVE THe U.S. automatic 3 spots which by rules, they shouldn't have. BUT they broke the rules and did what they felt at that time morally right-decently, common sense right.
    You are an asshat.

Maybe the ISU "felt sorry" because an entire planeload of people was killed in a horrible accident.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Nowadays forget rules, what is right, they do just what the money wants and the heck with the rules.
    i wonder how many rules the U.s has bended to get what they want because of the money-not morally right, common sense right but only for money.

Yep that's the only way the US would ever win any medals. It seems pretty petty to be pointing out rules and whether or not you agree with them whenever this is supposed to be a remembrance and celebration of those that perished.
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash

Since I personally knew all of the Team that perished,I would like to respond to this AH, but I would be kicked off FSU if I did so.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Article about the impact of the 1961 plane crash with quotes by coach Linda Leaver, Joan Sherbloom Peterson (sister of Diane Sherbloom), Barbara Roles-Williams & more: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...005,full.story
    I was very touched by this part of the article:
    Joan Sherbloom, then 15, never would see her sister again after she left Dec. 18 for Indianapolis.

"Memories are a picture book in your mind,'' Joan said during the commemoration in North Carolina. "When someone passes on, you have to close the book to go on. This has opened that book up again.''

It has made Joan recall, with undisguised bitterness, that neither the airline nor skating officials had called with the news of her sister's death before she first learned about it from reporters who came to the family's house.

She remains angry over her mother's having been told at first the family would have to pay for the shipment of belongings found to have been her sister's, angry that the body had come back with her sister's identification written on a price tag.

Perhaps that is why Joan responded with an emphatic "no'' to a question about whether the impact of the Memorial Fund gave her a feeling that some good had come from the deaths. Her husband, Ray, said the North Carolina ceremony was "long overdue.''

vCash
    NVM. query5 is just not worth it.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    query5 is a troll. Try to ignore it.

I can't WAIT to see Rise! Really looking forward to it.

vCash
    Our skating club is having a pizza party beforehand. Not sure how I'm gonna handle being the only one with a tie to RISE as I am the oldy moldy whose coach was coached by Bill Swallender. Let me tell you; so many lives were affected by this tragedy - that Detroit Skating Club reemerged is testimony that life does go on....and that the Memorial Fund does reach skaters in need.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    I just bought tickets for mom and I to see Rise this week. I know I'll probably bawl throughout the entire movie but I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I was very touched by this part of the article:
    I have to agree with her to a great extent. Why did it take USFS 50 years to induct them into the HOF? I know the Memorial Fund was created shortly after the crash, and there have been plaques, memorials, etc. But the HOF does seem like it should have been done a looooong time ago.

Though in USFS' and the airlines' defense, Im guessing their wasn't much of a procedure in place for events such as this.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I have to agree with her to a great extent. Why did it take USFS 50 years to induct them into the HOF? I know the Memorial Fund was created shortly after the crash, and there have been plaques, memorials, etc. But the HOF does seem like it should have been done a looooong time ago.

Though in USFS' and the airlines' defense, Im guessing their wasn't much of a procedure in place for events such as this.
    I believe such a coldhearted manner of family learning of tragedy-through reporters, or tv, etc. rather than next of kin being notified in a decent manner by authorities was common back in the day. I'm a huge fan of Buddy Holly although he was way before my time-and I was sickened when I first learned that his family (as well as Ritchie Valens and Jay Richardson's families) learned the news of the horrible plane crash that took their loved one's lives in the same way as that of the families of the '61 plane crash victims-through tv, radio, reporters telephoning, etc. I wonder who finally realized how inhumane it all was? It seems from watching the news that for the most part there is some kind of decent protocol in place to notify next of kin before blaring the decease's name all over the news-although I am sure it still happens on occasion. And of course if a plane goes down with someone famous on it-it is likely to get out in the news irregardless of the protocol in place.

vCash
    But at the same time, I remember reading a story about how Tenely's father and two other members of the USFSA went to Maribel's mother's and Little Marible and Laurance's grandmother's house to tell her the news personally, even providing a seditive to ease the pain.

So with that in mind, why weren't the other families extended the same courtesy?

vCash
    Deleted because I found the information I was looking for.
    Last edited by Vash01; 02-13-2011 at 05:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingDancer View Post
    So with that in mind, why weren't the other families extended the same courtesy?
    I assume because the Vinson Owen family members were the most prominent/well-known/"elite" of the people who died in the crash?

Another excerpt from the Hersh article (Vivian and Ron Joseph won the U.S. pairs bronze in 1964):
    The circumstances even might have forced the blueblood U.S. Figure Skating hierarchy to swallow some prejudice temporarily.

The Josephs were a Jewish brother-sister team from Highland Park, Ill., where Vivian still lives. Ron, now a hand surgeon in Florida, said a U.S. judge once told the Josephs' father, "Jews will never represent the United States in figure skating.''

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    Since I personally knew all of the Team that perished,I would like to respond to this AH, but I would be kicked off FSU if I did so.
    For knowing the team, you inspire me. I would like to know more about Doug Ramsey and Greg Kelly, somebody said that they were a pre-cursor to Great American jumpers like Tim Goebel but the artisty of Paul Wylie.

vCash
    I would be grateful for anything that you feel appropriate to share with us, about those you knew.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast