Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rise: the Movie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingDancer View Post
    But at the same time, I remember reading a story about how Tenely's father and two other members of the USFSA went to Maribel's mother's and Little Marible and Laurance's grandmother's house to tell her the news personally, even providing a seditive to ease the pain.
    Found the article (Boston Globe, 12/20/2000): http://www.boston.com/sports/package...red_dreams.htm

This was the 2nd of a series of 4 Boston Globe articles on the plane crash (definitely worth reading or re-reading) -- links can be found at the bottom of this page: http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/history.shtml
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-13-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Politiking for Purple
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I was very touched by this part of the article:
    Thanks for the links to all of the articles, Sylvia. Very heart-rending.

For those in the Chicago area who get the Chicago Tribune, you should still read the story at the Tribune link Sylvia provided. The paper edition edited out portions of the article, including most of what Sylvia quoted.
    If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time" - Michael Giacchino, UP

vCash
    But at the same time, I remember reading a story about how Tenely's father and two other members of the USFSA went to Maribel's mother's and Little Marible and Laurance's grandmother's house to tell her the news personally, even providing a seditive to ease the pain.

So with that in mind, why weren't the other families extended the same courtesy?
    Gertrude Vinson was in her 80s at the time. Dr. Albright and others visited her as a friend, not an official delegation. It would have been impossible for them to personally convey news to families across the country. Other members of local clubs tried to break news gently to family members, but in some cases, the timing just didn’t work. For example, the Broadmoor Club president made arrangements to visit Myra Westerfield with a doctor, but unfortunately a reporter called her home first. A lot of information is contained in Patricia Bushman's incredibly researched and detailed book, Indelible Tracings.

Speaking to those involved and reading about the crash, it is apparent a great many people did the very best they could under extremely difficult circumstances. One USFSA member, Ken Kelley, visited the crash site, identified the bodies, and negotiated with Sabena to transport remains home. It is a sad fact that when a commercial plane crashes, families (especially 50 years ago) often hear of the accident via radio, reporters, etc.

vCash
    Good Denver Post article today (2/13) with a focus on "The Broadmoor Eight" who died in the plane crash: http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/ci_17375048
    The Broadmoor Eight

Bill Hickox, 19, Pairs bronze medalist 1961 nationals, cadet at Air Force Academy. Pairs partner with Laurie Hickox.

Laurie Hickox, 15, Pairs bronze medalist 1961 nationals, sister and pairs partner of Bill Hickox.

Gregory Kelley, 16, 1959 national junior champion and 1961 U.S. silver medalist.

Nathalie Kelley, 29, sister and mother figure of Gregory Kelley.

Edi Scholdan, 49, coach, Broadmoor Skating Club.

James Scholdan, 11, son of Edi and student at Pauline Chapel School, Colorado Springs.

Sharon Westerfeld, 25, former skater and sister of 1961 U.S. silver medalist Stephanie Westerfeld.

Stephanie Westerfeld, 17, 1961 U.S. silver medalist.

vCash
    On the notification of family members -- it wasn't uncommon for family members to be notified by reporters. The NY Times recently ran a set of articles on the 1960 midair jetliner collision over NYC, and you'll see the same kinds of notification there --
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...rooklyn&st=cse

Maybe worse -- one little boy survived terribly burned for a day or so, and his family was back in Chicago. I can't imagine how that must have felt.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Did anyone else happen to catch Outside the Lines on ESPN this morning? They did a beautiful feature about the 1961 crash and talked about the skaters, coaches, and officials who were lost along with promoting the movie this coming week. I can't remember who all they talked to but I know Dick Button and David Jenkins (I think) were two folks who gave interviews. It was a wonderful story and I was kind of surprised to see ESPN tackle something like this since they usually stick to the more 'popular' sports. If this story is any indication, I'm going to need an entire box of Kleenex during the movie.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    Did anyone else happen to catch Outside the Lines on ESPN this morning?
    Thanks -- I forgot about this. Was it 7 minutes long? Link to the video posted on ESPN's site: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=611...goryid=3286128

ESPN "Outside the Lines" home page: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-13-2011 at 11:11 PM.

vCash
    Did anyone else happen to catch Outside the Lines on ESPN this morning? They did a beautiful feature about the 1961 crash and talked about the skaters, coaches, and officials who were lost along with promoting the movie this coming week. I can't remember who all they talked to but I know Dick Button and David Jenkins (I think) were two folks who gave interviews. It was a wonderful story and I was kind of surprised to see ESPN tackle something like this since they usually stick to the more 'popular' sports. If this story is any indication, I'm going to need an entire box of Kleenex during the movie.
    I missed it and I would have loved to have seen it, is there any way to watch it online and watch it elsewhere? Feel free to drop me a line.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I saw it , Heather, and I did cry. You're right about the film.

vCash

So with that in mind, why weren't the other families extended the same courtesy?
    Yes! Why indeed. No wonder some of the victim's relatives are still bitter. Who could blame them?

I read that story about Mrs. Gertrude Vinson too somewhere-I think someone posted a link here. I could not for the life of me fathom how the elderly Mrs. Vinson went on after losing her child and grandchildren-but it seems she did. I read in one of the links that that courageous lady would continue to go to the rink. She must have been one tough tough lady. Does anyone know if she had any other relatives to help her through her grief? Siblings? Cousins?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Gertrude Vinson was in her 80s at the time. Dr. Albright and others visited her as a friend, not an official delegation. It would have been impossible for them to personally convey news to families across the country. Other members of local clubs tried to break news gently to family members, but in some cases, the timing just didn’t work. For example, the Broadmoor Club president made arrangements to visit Myra Westerfield with a doctor, but unfortunately a reporter called her home first. A lot of information is contained in Patricia Bushman's incredibly researched and detailed book, Indelible Tracings.

Speaking to those involved and reading about the crash, it is apparent a great many people did the very best they could under extremely difficult circumstances. One USFSA member, Ken Kelley, visited the crash site, identified the bodies, and negotiated with Sabena to transport remains home. It is a sad fact that when a commercial plane crashes, families (especially 50 years ago) often hear of the accident via radio, reporters, etc.
    Such a horrific task he took on-a selfless and courageous act on Mr. Kelley's part. And in the days before DNA. I read (again in one of the links) that one of the fathers of the victims (Stephanie Westerfield's father I think?) also assisted in identifying the remains of the Americans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks -- I forgot about this. Was it 7 minutes long? Link to the video posted on ESPN's site: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=611...goryid=3286128

ESPN "Outside the Lines" home page: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index
    The feature is at fsvids.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 02-14-2011 at 04:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Oh, you'll want to look again. He runs off and the long-shot camera stays with them after he went through the door/tunnel to the dressing room. Some of the officials standing by the boards, including a nurse, went running into the dressing room, after him. It could be that he was seriously ill (?).

re. Mystery of Tim Brown's 1961 Nationals free skate ending:

I've since received and read Indelible Tracings. The author describes this bizarre incident in detail and even refers to interviews with others competitors who witnessed it. Brown was very ill, most likely due to altitude. Although ever-unpredictable, he had NEVER before purposely ended a competitive routine by jumping onto "dry land". The author confirms what I observed and described about the CBS telecast -- that Brown immediately ran off into the locker room and was followed by the nurse. We now know that he was gasping for oxygen and, in fact, passed out in the men's locker room, hence never bowing to the audience and judges. This was at altitude, after all.

A former Worlds medalist, Brown decided to not be a part of the US team to N.Ams and Worlds, and went back to his medical studies. Hence, he didn't die in the Sabena crash.

p.s....since it is not being very well publicized here: With my copy of Indelible Tracings, I received a little slip of paper letting me know of the publication of a companion photo album by the same author, titled Indelible Images. WOW - please note that there are two 'indelibles' to be purchased, Indelible Tracings for the story and Indelible Images for the photos/scrapbook memories. Order your copies of the limited-print photo album (via USFSA or amazon.com) before they run out.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Here's a link to the photo-album (coffee-table format) book:

http://www.amazon.com/Indelible-Imag...7699855&sr=1-2

Costs $35 + postage. Not many copies remian...only being sold in Amazon through one independent seller, that I can see. USFSA may have more copies; did not check there. Got mine via Amazon.

vCash
    re. Mystery of Tim Brown's 1961 Nationals free skate ending:

I've since received and read Indelible Tracings. The author describes this bizarre incident in detail and even refers to interviews with others competitors who witnessed it. Brown was very ill, most likely due to altitude. Although ever-unpredictable, he had NEVER before purposely ended a competitive routine by jumping onto "dry land". The author confirms what I observed and described about the CBS telecast -- that Brown immediately ran off into the locker room and was followed by the nurse. We now know that he was gasping for oxygen and, in fact, passed out in the men's locker room, hence never bowing to the audience and judges. This was at altitude, after all.

A former Worlds medalist, Brown decided to not be a part of the US team to N.Ams and Worlds, and went back to his medical studies. Hence, he didn't die in the Sabena crash.

p.s....since it is not being very well publicized here: With my copy of Indelible Tracings, I received a little slip of paper letting me know of the publication of a companion photo album by the same author, titled Indelible Images. WOW - please note that there are two 'indelibles' to be purchased, Indelible Tracings for the story and Indelible Images for the photos/scrapbook memories. Order your copies of the limited-print photo album (via USFSA or amazon.com) before they run out.
    Thank you for the heads up! I was about to order "Indelible Tracings" but I had no idea there was a companion piece!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Thank you for the heads up! I was about to order "Indelible Tracings" but I had no idea there was a companion piece!
    That's what I thought. Had I not seen the little slip of paper tucked inside my copy of Indelible Tracings, I wouldn't have known about Indelible Images. My first thought was to quickly share with y'all!

You can also order it through the author's own site:
    http://stores.1961team.com/StoreFront.bok

Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-14-2011 at 05:50 PM.

vCash
    That's what I thought. Had I not seen the little slip of paper tucked inside my copy of Indelible Tracings, I wouldn't have known about Indelible Images. My first thought was to quickly share with y'all!

You can also order it through the author's own site:
    http://stores.1961team.com/StoreFront.bok

Thanks again! And already ordered!

vCash
    Ditto, thanks.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I've not seen this shared.
    Features the Colorado Springs skaters; and the recent event at the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWAHe...eature=related
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 02-14-2011 at 11:48 PM.

vCash
    I missed it and I would have loved to have seen it, is there any way to watch it online and watch it elsewhere? Feel free to drop me a line.
    The RISE1961 facebook page has a link to it as the top entry:
    http://www.facebook.com/RISE1961

Very sad.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast