Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rise: the Movie

vCash
    For those who are unable to get to a theatre showing 'RISE' I obtained the battle plan that U.S. Figure Skating has developed for this event.

From USFS's Senior Director, Marketing & Communications -

The 'RISE' live event in NYC will be shown in theatres around the U.S. on Feb. 17, 2011.

In the works is a future DVD release and a special DVD distribution to all U.S. Figure Skating clubs at Governing council in May. Clubs will be encouraged to hold a private showing for members. The DVD will include the full 2/17 event, as well as special segments, extended versions/cuts, etc.

In addition, we are working on a TV distribution partner for next fall. We have some blackout periods after the event on 2/17 per our contract with Fathom events, but once those have expired we will announce more about these distribution channels.

Finally, icenwork.com will be the exclusive online distributor of the RISE event after we have exhausted the channels mentioned above.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Any possibility or info. on it being a regular Theater release?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I'm surprised it's showing anywhere near me. I expected to have to go to downtown LA to see it! Maybe I should go to LA LIVE anyway. Worlds 2009 memories!
    I was surprised it's playing the local "big" theater here and then I was like, "Well duh, Mirai lives here!"

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    That's a good idea. I mean, they make movies about such things as horses all the time. Was there any drama in Peggy Fleming's life? I think that would be a good idea if there was. Should start with the dominance of USA skating, then the crash, then ending with Peggy winning the Olympics, whose coach also died in the crash. She was also one of the first to benefit from having a foreign coach, which was a result of the crash. That was also the only gold medal won at those games. And I seem to remember her father driving a far distance to see her and then passing away. If she had an overbearing mother or something then it would be even better.
    She battled breast cancer.

vCash
    Say does anyone know if it's going to be shown near me? I can't get the link. BTW. I keep wondering about the Pairs Team of Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov. The 1964 Gold Medalist that I saw at mmy Rink coaching one time. Does anyone have or know how far back their Nationals competitive Record goes? Because I've been wondering if that Team competed in the 1961 Nationals. They just never qualified for the Olympics.In which case it would be a case of what COULD have happened. I'd really love to know if I was indeed previged to find the sole-survivors of that Nationals Pairs Discipline on my Rinks Doorstep. Does anyone know
    Last edited by FSWer; 11-21-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Say does anyone know if it's going to be shown near me?
    You can type in your zip code on this tickets site: http://www.fathomevents.com/sports/event/usfs_rise.aspx

vCash
    It does look good. But they're not going the "Oh well, they died, but at least they made room for the next generation so it was all to the good!" route, are they? I know, sounds like a silly question, but anything like that really bugs me.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    It does look good. But they're not going the "Oh well, they died, but at least they made room for the next generation so it was all to the good!" route, are they? I know, sounds like a silly question, but anything like that really bugs me.
    I don't think so. The death of the 1961 world team didn't really "make room" for the next generation of skaters anyway. TPTB at U.S. Figure Skating asked Barbara Roles-Williams to come back and compete in 1962. It wasn't until 1964 that Peggy Fleming won her first National title, and even she wasn't contending for World or Olympic medals that year. I think if Laurence Owen was alive in 61-64, there's no doubt she would have been (remained) the top U.S. woman.

vCash
    Does anyone have the list of the cast of who's playing who? BTW.is there any way anyone here who can locate a copy of the movie to send me after it comes out? As it may be the only way I could see it.

vCash
    FSWer, it's a documentary, so it's just interviews and so on I think.

vCash
    Hopefully there is going to be a DVD release. For overseas skating fans like me, it's the only way to see it.
    There are few skating films. Hope there will be more and more figure skating films or TV series. It's such a beautiful sports. A figure skating film could cover so many interesting elements about the sports, like the music, the dances, the skaters, etc.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Say does anyone know if it's going to be shown near me? I can't get the link. BTW. I keep wondering about the Pairs Team of Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov. The 1964 Gold Medalist that I saw at mmy Rink coaching one time. Does anyone have or know how far back their Nationals competitive Record goes? Because I've been wondering if that Team competed in the 1961 Nationals. They just never qualified for the Olympics.In which case it would be a case of what COULD have happened. I'd really love to know if I was indeed previged to find the sole-survivors of that Nationals Pairs Discipline on my Rinks Doorstep. Does anyone know
    Are you talking US Nationals?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    FSWer, Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov are the 1964 and 1968 Olympic pair champions from Russia who competed for the former Soviet Union (see their profile: http://www.pairsonice.net/profileview.php?pid=99 ) so they never would have competed at US Nationals.

How neat that you saw them at your rink coaching -- was it recently?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here's a nice entry on Ryan Jahnke's MySkatingMall.com blog: http://myskatingmall.com/blog/2010/1...memorial-fund/
    Adam Rippon has once again demonstrated his class by donating four of his Junior and Novice outfits in order to raise money for the U.S. Memorial Fund.
    MySkatingMall.com has set a goal to raise $1,000 for the U.S. Memorial fund by February 17, 2011. This date corresponds with the national release of U.S. Figure Skating’s documentary RISE. The film will celebrate American figure skating while commemorating the 50th anniversary of the 1961 U.S. World Figure Skating Team that perished in a plane crash on its way to the World Championships in Prague.

The mission of MySkatingMall.com is to support the skating community. We would like to challenge other skaters to follow Adam’s lead by selling their gently used skating dresses, skating outfits, and skating practice apparel on MySkatingMall.com. You don’t have to be an elite skater to participate! Simply list your items and choose for 87.5% of the sale price to be given to the U.S. Memorial Fund.

vCash
    I'm going to see it with manleywoman, whee!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-05-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    RISE had its world premiere Saturday at the Palm Springs International Film Festival: http://www.mydesert.com/article/2011...kating-tragedy
    Two skating luminaries personally connected to the tragedy and featured prominently in the film — Peggy Fleming, the 1968 Olympic women's gold medalist, and Frank Carroll, a renowned coach and Palm Springs resident — attended the premiere.

Nearly 50 years later, Carroll still has trouble talking about the friends he lost.

“When you start talking about this,” he said, “and you remember the things you did together, and the things you shared together, and the wonderful parts of their personalities and know that they were just sniffed away so quick, it's very emotional. I don't talk about this very often.”

Carroll hopes the documentary will shine light on a past many have forgotten.

“Most of the young kids, you ask them questions about the history of skating, and they don't know anything,” he said. “So I hope this rekindles their interest and people's interest about what happened then and how skating's developed over the years.”

vCash
    Say,does anyone know i it's going to DVD like any other movie? If so,could someone please let me know when it does? Or is it posible if anyone here could please get me a DVD. copy of the movie when it comes out and send it to me? As I don't believe from what I saw that the movie was ever shown in my area. BTW. do we have a list of the cast on-line?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    do we have a list of the cast on-line?
    It's a documentary film so there are no actors. The storytellers (narrators) are listed here: http://www.rise1961.com/about-the-film/storytellers/
    They are: Brian Boitano, Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Scott Hamilton, Michelle Kwan.

There's a behind-the-scenes photo gallery of the filming at: http://www.rise1961.com/multimedia/

There may be more information about a possible DVD after the film is shown nationwide on February 17, 2011.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-09-2011 at 11:09 PM.

vCash
    So pics were just taken from books,etc. for the film,and they tell the story?

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast