Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rise: the Movie

vCash

Rise: the Movie

The movie "Rise" commissioned by US Figure Skating is set to premiere for 1 night only on February 17, 2010 in 500 theaters nation wide.

Click here for the website and the trailer: http://www.rise1961.com

vCash
    Here's an article on usfsa.org about Dorothy Hamill, Peggy Fleming, Brian Boitano, Scott Hamilton, and Michelle Kwan being "storytellers" in the film.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...004&type=media

vCash
    The movie "Rise" commissioned by US Figure Skating is set to premiere for 1 night only on February 17, 2010 in 500 theaters nation wide.
    Thanks for the link. I could not find any information there about what theaters will be showing the film.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Thanks for the link. I could not find any information there about what theaters will be showing the film.
    It's highly unlikely that the theatres where the film will be playing will be available until about 2-3 weeks before the film opens.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    deleted: double post
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Hi, think you mean Feb. of 2011 - otherwise we'd all have seen it by now! Thanks!

vCash
    Sorry, I realized I made a date error, now I can't edit the post. The correct date for the premier is:

FEBRUARY 17, 2011

vCash
    I can't seem to find any information as to whether or not this will be availble to purchase on DVD. Has anyone heard anything about it?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenMichelle View Post
    I can't seem to find any information as to whether or not this will be availble to purchase on DVD. Has anyone heard anything about it?
    As it's a theatrical release, if and when it is, it won't be until it's had a theatrical run.

vCash
    This is very exciting! A REAL skating movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    As it's a theatrical release, if and when it is, it won't be until it's had a theatrical run.
    Which appears to be all of one night?

It appears a lot of money has been spent making it.... but using the USFSA logic they may never recover those costs!

vCash
    It sounds like the film is a documentary. Someone should do a movie (drama) based on the tragedy and how they recruited coaches to help re-build US Figure Skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OrioleBeagle View Post
    It sounds like the film is a documentary. Someone should do a movie (drama) based on the tragedy and how they recruited coaches to help re-build US Figure Skating.
    That's a good idea. I mean, they make movies about such things as horses all the time. Was there any drama in Peggy Fleming's life? I think that would be a good idea if there was. Should start with the dominance of USA skating, then the crash, then ending with Peggy winning the Olympics, whose coach also died in the crash. She was also one of the first to benefit from having a foreign coach, which was a result of the crash. That was also the only gold medal won at those games. And I seem to remember her father driving a far distance to see her and then passing away. If she had an overbearing mother or something then it would be even better.
    Smoke a ciggy and have some fun!!!

vCash
    A source at USFS has reported that a DVD of the movie is being considered, to supplement the fund-raising effort to further the mission of the USFS Memorial Fund, which awards approximately $300,000 annually in grants and scholarships to skaters, recognizing performance both on and off the ice. Don't expect an early decision on possible DVD sales. Most likely further plans likely will come after the theatre premire.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Can't wait to see it.

Vacant
    vCash
    I really hope they release this on DVD. It's the only way I'll ever get to see it!

vCash
    I hope so too!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here's a recent local Massachusetts article on Bradley Lord, who died in the 1961 plane crash of the U.S. World team members, with quotes from his only sibling, Bruce: http://www.wickedlocal.com/swampscot...n-Bradley-Lord

The following information on the RISE film was passed along to me for posting here.
    ================================================== ========

The RISE film is funded through foundations and sponsors.

The list of theaters showing the film will be announced in mid-October. It is one-night-only, on February 17, 2011, but if ticket sales are really good the event company may do an encore showing.

Across the country, the film will begin at 8 pm EST. Starting at 7:30 pm, the theaters will show a "pre-film show" promoting the USFSA and the Memorial Fund. The film is 1 hour and 15 minutes long and before and after the movie, the theaters will go live to the main event in NYC. There will be an emcee (someone well-known from the sports world?). After the movie, the NYC event will have speeches (testimonials from those "close to the 1961 World team") and skating performances. The performances will be on tape, not live. The post-show will be about 45 minutes.

The "suggested" cost per ticket is $15, but theaters will be able to set their own prices. A portion of the proceeds will go to the USFSA, and this will all go to the Memorial Fund. It sounds like there are definite plans to sell DVDs at some point after the in-theater event. Every USFS club will receive a copy and the proceeds from sales will go to the Memorial Fund. It is possible that the DVDs will contain additional footage that was cut out of the movie.

USFSA is planning a huge media blitz. They have contacted national talk shows and the Today show, for on and around the date of February 15, the 50th anniversary of the crash. They are encouraging skating clubs that are near one of the RISE theaters to do media outreach locally by sending them materials and making additional material available on their website. This year, National Skating Month will be extended from January through February to make the most of the promotional opportunity.

vCash
    Perhaps it will be shown on "30 on 30", the sports documentary program on ESPN. The sisters who are making "Rise" have another documentary being aired on "30 on 30" about Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova called "Unmatched," scheduled for Monday October 25th....

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    From: http://www.examiner.com/ice-skating-...ting-film-rise
    U.S. Figure Skating in conjunction with NCM Fathom has released list of the more than 500 movies theaters throughout the country that will screen the eagerly-anticipated American figure skating film RISE during a February 17, 2011 nationwide showing originating from the Best Buy Theater in New York City’s Times Square.
    U.S. Figure Skating Members will have access to pre-sale tickets beginning Friday, November 5. Tickets for the general public will be available beginning Monday, November 15.
    Here's the list of theaters across the U.S.: https://www.usfsaonline.org/Rise/Doc...20Theatres.pdf

Ticket info: http://www.fathomevents.com/sports/event/usfs_rise.aspx

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast