vCash

Internaltional adoption from Canada

Hi there,
    Im pretty much a lurker here (have been for many years) but Im always amazed by the great advice and knowledge many posters give on this board. My Wife and I are in the beginning stages of international adoption and Im wondering if any one out there has advice or has been through this process. We are located in Toronto and have pretty much narrowed our country of choice to Vietnam, as Vietnam does not have a minimum period that couples have to be married (weve been married for 6months but have been together for 3 years). We are also requesting a child with special needs and have been contacting agencies for information. Any advice or knowledge you may have about this process would be a great help.

vCash
    A friend of mine recently went through the process and adopted a cute little man from Russia... so I've seen the journey from afar, though I don't have the first hand knowledge or experience to really offer specific advice.

I know it was a long, hard road for them but now that they're through it, they can easily see it was all worth it. I do know they were super frustrated and discouraged at many points along the way... so I feel for you and what you're embarking on. I think you're doing a wonderful thing, especially being open to a child with special needs as so many will not consider this! I wish you the best of luck and hope it goes as smoothly as is possible for you and your wife.

I know she found great encouragement and support in the blogging community - many families on similar journies updating about similar frustrations and joys. It may be worth searching out adoption blogs .. just to have something to read and people to connect with who are sharing the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mp77 View Post
    Hi there,
    Im pretty much a lurker here (have been for many years) but Im always amazed by the great advice and knowledge many posters give on this board. My Wife and I are in the beginning stages of international adoption and Im wondering if any one out there has advice or has been through this process. We are located in Toronto and have pretty much narrowed our country of choice to Vietnam, as Vietnam does not have a minimum period that couples have to be married (weve been married for 6months but have been together for 3 years). We are also requesting a child with special needs and have been contacting agencies for information. Any advice or knowledge you may have about this process would be a great help.
    Hey there....

My husband and I are in the process of adopting from Thailand.

I have lots of stuff I can tell you but would prefer to do it in a PM.

PM me with your questions and I will reply.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    No advice, but a friend of mine was a special needs kid (physically disabled) from South Korea, adopted in the US aged 3. She's a girl and I think that giving someone like her an opportunity of an amazing life is just fantastic
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.