Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

1961 U.S. World team to be inducted into USFS Hall of Fame in Greensboro

http://usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44994&type=media

U.S. Figure Skating and U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame Chair of Electors Dr. Lawrence Mondschein announced today that the 1961 U.S. World Figure Skating Team will comprise the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame Class of 2011. The induction ceremony is tentatively scheduled to take place Friday, Jan. 28 at the 2011 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Greensboro, N.C.

"It is appropriate that on the eve of the 50th anniversary of the loss of the 1961 World Team that it be the sole inductee into the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame Class of 2011," Mondschein said. "The dreams and hopes of the team have been realized by U.S. skaters at the World Championships, Olympic Winter Games and international skating events around the globe over the past 50 years. The spirit of the 1961 World Team continues to live on today and will be showcased by those skaters vying for national titles at the 2011 U.S. Figure Skating Championships."

Included in the inductees are 18 athletes as well as the accompanying coaches, officials, judges and family members who perished on Sabena Airlines Flight 548 en route to the World Championships in Prague, Czechoslovakia.

vCash
    It should have happened years ago!
    However, if not; I'm glad that it will, then.

vCash

vCash
    This is so awesome and so overdue! Mr. Swallender (team coach) was my coach's coach. A tear came to her eye everytime she talked about him. So many were devastated by this tragedy. The movie coming out "RISE" about this event has a Facebook page that everyone should like. Maybe we can get a national release of this indie film.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Very happy to hear this.

vCash
    A nice way to honor the victims of this accident.

vCash
    I have to add that I have seen clips of Frank Carroll (PSA Coach of the Year ) tear up talking about Maribel his coach. I remember one distinctly that he wanted so badly to ask her how to fix a skid in Linda Fratianne's paragraph fast bracket.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Wonderful news. That will be a beautiful ceremony. I better make sure to have extra Kleenex that night because anytime I hear the story about that team I start to cry.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Will clips of the new documentary, RISE, by LookALike Productions, be shown that night? IIRC, the premier is after Nationals??

vCash
    I wonder if they will honor them at this years Worlds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    Wonderful news. That will be a beautiful ceremony. I better make sure to have extra Kleenex that night because anytime I hear the story about that team I start to cry.
    I was just thinking "bring the kleenex"

Vacant
    vCash
    I'm so pleased to hear this, but I agree with skatesindreams, this is long overdue. Better late than never though, and while the release of 'Rise' right after Nationals is hardly a coincidence and the two events together are a clever marketing ploy, if the extra publicity for the film means a whole new generation will learn about, and remember those lost in 1961, well that can only be a good thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    This is so awesome and so overdue! Mr. Swallender (team coach) was my coach's coach. A tear came to her eye everytime she talked about him. So many were devastated by this tragedy. The movie coming out "RISE" about this event has a Facebook page that everyone should like. Maybe we can get a national release of this indie film.
    Am I missing something ? I looked at the page for that and it's about two guys in an auto wreck....I'm confused.

ETA: NM there are two films named Rise. Here is the link to the facebook page for the figure skating one, just in case someone missed it http://www.facebook.com/#!/RISE1961?ref=search

http://www.facebook.com/RISE1961?ref...&ref=fbx_album picture of Frank Carroll

vCash
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...004&type=media

Scott Hamilton, Dorothy Hamill, Brian Boitano, Peggy Flemming and Michelle Kwan are all going to be story tellers in the movie RISE

vCash
    good choice,
    for me it is about time, should have been entered earlier.

by the way when can we nominate michelle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    good choice,
    for me it is about time, should have been entered earlier.

by the way when can we nominate michelle
    ITA that the 1961 team should have been honored decades ago.

Michelle, I think, can be nominated next year (when Nats are in San Jose, --where, coincidentally, she won her first US title)

vCash
    The U.S championships are in Greensboro ?

I feel like shooting myself in the face now .

I can't believe i could've seen my first FS competition ever and i'll miss it by less than a month .

vCash
    Long overdue, but glad that they will finally be honored this way.

vCash
    At the bottom of the USFS story from Satellitegirl's post, there's a link for the official Rise! website, which includes a trailer for the film. I agree with others that this is a long overdue honor for the 1961 team and am glad for this belated recognition -- those who are old enough remember the tragedy (I was quite young, but can remember the shock I felt when I heard about it), but there are many younger figure skating fans who are only dimly aware of it, if they know anything at all.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I still have my copy of Donald Jackson's autobiography that came w/my very first pair of skates way back when and that's how I first learned about the tragedy, as he was supposed be on that plane w/them all. To say this horrible event shook not just US Figure Skating, but Figure Skating as a whole, is an understatement.

I've seen videos of Laurence Owen here and there over the years and...Sigh... She really was something very special out there on the ice.

Long overdue and I really hope that NBC shows this during US Nationals coverage this upcoming January.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast