Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I'd put a fatwa out on anyone who thought that they could remake Now, Voyager....
    Oh, Rex, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars!

vCash
    Cute.

vCash
    So, I'm getting excited since the premiere only a couple of weeks away now (3/27.) I watched part of the making of special the other night and it looks great. This will be a nice pick-me-up from the end of the skating season blues (assuming Worlds takes place as scheduled.) And I'm sure everyone is excited that none other than Sumi Jo did the singing for Veda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't think the original MP is considered a "classic" among film critics...I'm sure Kate will bring extra dimensions to the role that wasn't required of Crawford back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I really don't mind this as I found the original Mildred Pierce to be underwhelming...it's not as if the original film was anywhere near a classic.
    These are my sentiments as well. I can see the remake being much better.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I had to cancel my HBO earlier this year, so sadly I'll have to wait for DVD.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Billboards up for it all over LA, so it is getting some push, but the ads on the side of the buses seem to be for The Borgias.

vCash
    Starts tonight, 8 CST.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Too bad I don't have HBO. I am sure it will be online within a day or so, just have to do some searching. Maybe Netflix will have it fairly quickly after its run is over.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The HBO film has been getting mixed reviews. I'm interested to hear what you guys think of it

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    so far, boring is what comes to mind. I don't think I'll watch the 2nd half.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Hmm I've been meaning to actually post in this thread for a while. I'm looking forward to this when it eventually comes to New Zealand (well I'm presuming we'll get it here).

I just can't believe some people in this thread don't believe the Joan Crawford version is a classic. In my mind it's an absolute classic. Forget the story itself though I think they did an amazing job on it. The noir characteristics are what makes it a classic. In my opinion its one of the most defining noir films.

vCash
    I don't have HBO, so I am missing it.
    Time said that Winslet's performance was far better than Crawford's. I could believe that - I thought Joan was actually much, much better in Humoresque.

vCash
    I watched it last night, and so far I am bouncing between bored, and wanting to smack Veda upside the head. Overall it's ok, but it's moving very slow.

vCash
    I didn't get to sit down and watch it last night. It was mostly playing in the background while I dealt with multiple household disasters. What I saw I wouldn't call boring, but definitely slow-paced. I think it will get much more intense in the next installment when Veda will be older and raising even more hell. I thought Winslet was fantastic (but I always do.)

vCash
    Coincidentally (or not?), TCM ran the original this weekend. I agree with gingercrush that it's a classic. It may not slavishly follow the book -- or even closely follow the book -- but the story keeps you watching and I think the performances hold up very well. Maybe not Zachary Scott's -- he reminds me of a line from MST3K: "Hi, I'm Bob Evil!" -- but Crawford's, Carson's, Arden's, and Blyth's do.

And it's not like James M. Cain was one of the great masters of literature anyway . . .

Still, I do want to check out the new one when I can.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Watched it.

Thought it was probably truer to the novel. I guess the fact that it is a mini-series means that it will delve more into the complications of the characters than the movie could.

vCash
    I enjoyed it.

It's not exciting - much more character based than exciting, but I found myself sucked in. And Kate Winslet is doing a great job, especially since she's in every single scene.

I'm excited for the later episodes to see what Evan Rachel Wood does with Veda. I've heard good things about her performance.

And I think it'll be safe to say that Kate will get the Emmy this year. That will leave her with just a Tony in order to become one of the 11 EGOT holders... (yes, she has a Grammy)

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    What's funny is that Kate won a Grammy FIRST. LOL! You would think that would be the last and hardest award for her to get. I think she will win many more Oscars. I think she has the Emmy absolutely locked up. If she ever wants a Tony she will get it, she has the talent, for sure.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I wonder what made Winslet decide to do a cable miniseries.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Because those HBO miniseries almost always win awards and HBO pays to the actors.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast