Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

The new "Mildred Pierce"

Trailer here.

I'm not flipping out over this one the way I do with some remakes. When a film is adapted from a book, I often feel there can legitimately be multiple film versions that interpret it in different ways. (Okay, I'm a hair-splitter.)

That said, it looks to me like this one isn't going to be nearly as good as the Joan Crawford version. JMHO. Veda doesn't seem as snarky or as evil, and no Eve Arden, and no Jack Carson . . . and no shoulder pads!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Sacrilege. It was a great flick, although I found Crawford underwhelming in the original - Ann Blyth, Eve Arden and Zachary Scott stole that movie from her. But I lurve Kate Winslet, so I will try to keep an open mind. I think she'll be better than Joan.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Actually I think Rachel Evan Woods is quite an amazing young actress, I think she will make a great Veda.

I hate that mustache on Guy Pearce though.

The costumes look fab!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I don't think the original MP is considered a "classic" among film critics. It probably feel very dated if I was to watch it now. I'm sure Kate will bring extra dimensions to the role that wasn't required of Crawford back then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Actually I think Rachel Evan Woods is quite an amazing young actress, I think she will make a great Veda.

I hate that mustache on Guy Pearce though.

The costumes look fab!
    I agree about Evan Rachel Wood. She is stunningly awesome. I'll pretty much watch anything she is in, just because she's in it, and she's one of very few actors I can say that about. Kate Winslet is a nice bonus. I've seen the original a couple of times but it's not a film that I'm particularly attached to, so I don't have much problem with a remake, especially since this looks like a high quality effort.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't think the original MP is considered a "classic" among film critics. It probably feel very dated if I was to watch it now. I'm sure Kate will bring extra dimensions to the role that wasn't required of Crawford back then.
    Looking for a classic version of the story? Looking for extra dimensions? Try this and this!

Last edited by Squibble; 09-14-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: To put the classic version first, where it belongs. :)

vCash
    I am off to find the book!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    This new version doesn't look to be any better than the book.

vCash
    So the message I'm getting is: You wanna play Mildred Pierce? You'd better have the fiercest eyebrows in the business.

vCash
    Can they please cast Faye Dunaway? that I would see....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Looking for a classic version of the story? Looking for extra dimensions? Try this and this!

vCash
    I love Kate Winslett, but filling Joan's shoulder pads is a monumental task. Joan Crawford was a force of nature: ETA - I like this homage on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp2WZhj9qLI
    Last edited by olympic; 09-14-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I love Joan Crawford in Mildred Pierce and thoroughly believe she deserved her Oscar. This was the film that would either keep her in Hollywood or drive her out. So much was riding on it. The camp value was high, Veda was perfectly cast, and I think it still holds up (I rented it a few months ago).
    Not crazy about Kate Winslet in this. I just don't think they need to mess with this classic. Sort of like when they remade The Women. Just don't.

vCash
    The Women remake looked absolutely horrific, and I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial ten-foot pole. I understand how you feel about having your favorites remade, but at least it looks like they put a little more effort into this remake than they did into The Women.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Can you imagine remaking Now Voyager, with all the plastic surgery options available today? You could cast Rosie O'Donnell and Gwyneth Paltry for the same role pre and post "mountain retreat".

Yes I do know it's Paltrow, and what did she call that poor child, kumquat, nashi-pear, dangle berry? Poor poor thing
    Last edited by Ozzisk8tr; 09-14-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Can you imagine remaking Now Voyager, with all the plastic surgery options available today? You could cast Rosie O'Donnell and Gwyneth Paltry for the same role pre and post "mountain retreat".
    I'd put a fatwa out on anyone who thought that they could remake Now, Voyager....

vCash
    You just couldn't. Never mind Bette Davis and Charles Boyer, you couldn't remake it without Claude Rains!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    You just couldn't. Never mind Bette Davis and Charles Boyer, you couldn't remake it without Claude Rains!!
    Charles Boyer? Don't you mean Paul Henreid?

vCash
    Sorry, yes, Paul Henreid.

Blergh
    vCash
    I really don't mind this as I found the original Mildred Pierce to be underwhelming. Happy Joan got her Oscar and Hollywood comeback and all, but it's not as if the original film was anywhere near a classic. However, the remake of The Women was just sacrilege on every level.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast