I probably won't be there. Oh well. I need to find some local ISI competitions or something.
It's not just about planning when to go. It's also about planning to not go. What if a person can do location x but not z, then they might want to take their very limited vacation time and allocate it elsewhere...at a different time... and must put in for that vacation time well in advance. How this sequence of location selection went down this year was not good. I've heard a significant number of adult skaters (who do not post on threads) voice this opinion.
In my opinion, it's quite glib for someone who's club had a year and a half to prepare for AN, to suggest that everything is just fine that the present club has so much less time to work with. I could also add that no elite competition would be subjected to such a delayed decision process. Imagine the howls if that ever happened. But what the hey, we're just adult skaters and that's what we should expect, right?
Congratulations Salt Lake City.
"awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.
SLC is a direct flight from many of the major hubs in the US, so that helps. It's also a really cool city to be in, for those interested and who've never been.
Today is Doomsday. Alternate side of the street parking will be in effect.
It is true that the later than usual announcement date of AN is not ideal. But everything can't be ideal. It is not fair of any of us to assume the what and why of the delay. The delay had nothing to do with "they are only adults" mentality. It happened due to circumstances beyond anyone's control.
It seems the LOC is doing just fine so far. They already have a logo and it looks great.
I'm only sorry that I won't be able to attend. It looks so beautiful there.
I second what elphaba said. I've been to many AN's, and this is the only time the announcement of the location was this late in the year. True, the lateness of this year's announcement of the winning AN bid is not ideal, but it is also not typical of the AN selection process. If the PTB wanted to screw over the adult skaters, they'd have announced the AN location this late every year.
What can be much more upsetting is when the registering goes all wonky like it did a few years ago.
In the end we know 6+ months in advance which is more than enough time, for most, it is in a nice location and being held at a very nice facility.
I'll choose to look on the bright side.
Absolutely coskater. I know which AN you're referring to, and that was a nightmare. This is nothing compared to that. We have seven months till AN 2011. Imagine having your AN event moved to a different day than you expected, _one_ month before AN and _after_ you've already booked a flight. Uh huh.
I think it's important to choose our battles here. I wouldn't want the adult skating community to lose its bargaining capital over this issue and wind up possibly being in a bad position to fight what I feel are more important battles, like those involving the competition schedule or combining 'singleton' events.
In the past few years, the window between the announcement and the event has gotten shorter for all USFSA events. IIRC, the location for South Atlantic Regionals wasn't announced until this spring, several months after the other Regional locations were announced. This is not something that only affects adult skating.
Originally Posted by pairman2
I could also add that no elite competition would be subjected to such a delayed decision process.
The larger "elite" comps, as someone called them (Nationals, Skate America) are usually planned several years out, and are pretty much no longer handled by the local clubs, but mainly by US Figure Skating staff with the support of an LOC that today seems to be comprised of several clubs and/or local sporting or visitors associations.
The two are not really comparable.
Last edited by crzesk8dad; 09-17-2010 at 03:44 AM.
I'm really happy it's on the West Coast! Too long have our left coast friends been traveling great distances to attend ANs. I probably won't know for sure if I'm attending until January (my company can stop it with the furloughs, kthxbai) but I really, really want to go. Crossing my fingers!!