Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    The fact that multiple 'deadlines' came and went and that quite a few wondered about the dramatic void of information wasn't exactly stirring up the pot. Pointing this out did seem to coax the information out into the general domain here that the selection has indeed been made, and we'll all look forward to seeing the location posted next week. Mission accomplished.

As far as the Grand Prix concept is concerned, some skaters compete in one, two, or three local competitions warming up to AN, anyway. The competitions are already in place so they don't need to be created. All we need is to assign point values to the competitors results, just as it's laid out in the Basic Skills competition series and viola, we have an Adult Grand Prix and something else that's fun to do. Plus it will attract more adults to local competitions which is a win win for everyone. It does create an organized and fun way to make a full season.

vCash
    They tried this with Juv-Nov level skaters in Colorado, they couldn't be skaters who had advanced past regionals, the competitions had to sign up to be a part of it and the skaters got point and could win prizes, etc. The idea was to encourage more participation in local events. It lasted about 2 years... It is very difficult to keep track of and you have to have a lot of consistency in events then there were the ties and several other issues. It seemed like a good idea but it faded away...

vCash
    [QUOTE=lovepairs;2873449]The fact that multiple 'deadlines' came and went and that quite a few wondered about the dramatic void of information wasn't exactly stirring up the pot. Pointing this out did seem to coax the information out into the general domain here that the selection has indeed been made, and we'll all look forward to seeing the location posted next week. Mission accomplished. [QUOTE=lovepairs;2873449]

The deadlines were for bids. As someone else said, announcements are made when information is completed and the BOD approves it. No information has been coaxed out except what was already known: bid deadlines and that there are four bids. Would it be nice to have it announced sooner? Sure. But again, no dramatics.

vCash
    You're totally missing the point. The news that you left in a previous post that a club, indeed, has already been selected for AN was new news to all of us. What the skaters/members don't appreciate is being left in the dark for so long. Unless this thread was launched, we still wouldn't have known that a club was already selected. Anyway, I'm confident now that you will get on next week and let us all know where AN is going to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lovepairs View Post
    You're totally missing the point. The news that you left in a previous post that a club, indeed, has already been selected for AN was new news to all of us. What the skaters/members don't appreciate is being left in the dark for so long. Unless this thread was launched, we still wouldn't have known that a club was already selected. Anyway, I'm confident now that you will get on next week and let us all know where AN is going to be.
    We knew the dates of ANs when Sectionals was announced, which was weeks ago. I don't see how that's keeping us in the dark. We knew that it was happening and when it was happening. You act like USFS is keeping this a big secret to piss us all off, which can't be further from the truth.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    So . . . you still don't know where it's going to be. Just that it's going to be. That's no different than what you knew last week. But pat yourself on the back if you need to.

I'm going regardless, no matter where it is, so the location is irrelevant in the end. We all tend to spend our time in the rink anyway!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    The location is very important to me, so I am anxiously awaiting the news - especially since I can't go to Sectionals this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    The location is very important to me, so I am anxiously awaiting the news - especially since I can't go to Sectionals this year.
    It's also important to a lot of other folks, so we can determine how much airfare will be and how much travel time to plan on. Some may need more time if they are traveling from a long distance and changing time zones.

vCash
    Yes, the main concern is not the dates, but rather location. As mentioned above there are many skaters who need to budget in advance for this, especially in this economy, and would like to know the location, airfare, whether the location will fit in with other family vacation plans ect...

Anyway, it's a non issue now, since we've been already told that a club has already been awarded AN, and the location will be posted this week:

It will very likely be announced next week. As I said, there were four bids, and the club that is being awarded the bid already knows.

vCash
    Anyway, it's a non issue now, since we've been already told that a club has already been awarded AN, and the location will be posted this week:
    She said it will VERY LIKELY be posted this week....not ABSOLUTELY WILL be posted. I just want to make sure that's pointed out just in case for whatever reason it can't be announced this week.

vCash
    Hi Stormy,

If the club has already been awarded the bid
    the club that is being awarded the bid already knows.
    Then why wouldn't it be announced this week? The only reason I can think of is if the club who was awarded it doesn't accept it. If they have accepted it, don't you think we've all waited long enough and it should be announced sooner rather then later?

vCash
    Hi Stormy,

If the club has already been awarded the bid Then why wouldn't it be announced this week? The only reason I can think of is if the club who was awarded it doesn't accept it. If they have accepted it, don't you think we've all waited long enough and it should be announced sooner rather then later?
    Whereas I'd love to think that us adult skaters are at the very forefront of USFS's planning, I don't think that's the reality. Yes, we've waited longer than usual. That does not mean there's any sort of problem. And again, you're making a very big leap by thinking the winning club rejected it. You have absolutely nothing to base that on and throwing things out there like that is doing nothing but stirring the pot. There shouldn't even be a pot to stir here!

vCash
    Hi Stormy,

If the club has already been awarded the bid Then why wouldn't it be announced this week? The only reason I can think of is if the club who was awarded it doesn't accept it. If they have accepted it, don't you think we've all waited long enough and it should be announced sooner rather then later?
    The club and/or the USFS might still be pulling together all the information they need for their PR materials, so they can make a full and complete announcement to the press. That sort of stuff can take some time. I have seen what I'd call "product launches" delayed because the press materials are still being pulled together, for very valid reasons, not due to lack of proper preparation, so this is a possibility.

It could be that the club has asked them to wait until a certain date, so they can have a bit of a local splash behind the announcement, to create some press.

It could be that the club asked them to wait, because a certain person that needs to be involved in the announcement is on vacation.

In other words, it could be about six million things. And soon, we'll know!
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Count me in on the side that this process takes too long. It is more difficult for adult skaters to schedule time off.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Threads like this one are one reason adult skaters in general are regarded by a lot of the High-Ups as pains-in-the-neck to deal with. No matter what happens, they complain.

The deadline for qualifying competitions for the non-adults was Sept. 1. I suspect that the folks at Headquarters have been a tad busy with that for the last week or two. And like it or not, thenon-adult skaters take priority with USFS.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    zaphyre14, as a long-time adult skater, I COMPLETELY agree with you. This is so not a battle to be fighting, it's like splitting hairs, especially since USFS has just now made the announcement via Facebook as to the AN 2011 location.

So everyone, relax!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    You could have shared a link or more info

Salt Lake it is.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event...s.asp?id=44880

vCash
    I wanted to heighten the suspense.

vCash

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coskater View Post

Awesome! Bet the Pacific coasters are happy.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast