Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

tips for better edge control?

Could you please share your tips and secrets to achieve better control of the outside edge? For example outside forward swing rolls - it is really difficult to stay on the outside edge and skate a half circle, because my foot just wants to move straight forward. I guess I don´t lean on the edge enough because I´m afraid of falling.
    Of course I understand that I should just practise, practise, practise, but maybe somebody has had the same problem and has discovered some clever ways to improve edge control. If it matters, I´m an adult beginner, as you have probably realized.

vCash
    There is no easy way, really. Hip, shoulder alignment is important. Speed is also a major factor. Without speed, it's very hard to lean without falling over.

Since you're an adult beginner, please don't rush and speed up. Work on posture first. Make sure your bum is not sticking out to the back (aka breaking at the waist) or to the side. Soft knee bend when you first step on the outside (same for inside) edge to start the lobe. Don't step on a straight knocked knee. It won't work.

Good luck.

vCash
    Thank you. It is really controversial, that on one hand the speed helps you keep balance, but on the other hand the speed itself is dangerous for a beginner. I guess I am maybe a little bit too cautious.

vCash
    I have the same problem. Outside edges are so hard.
    People keep telling me to practice as well. It got a bit better in the last months but it is still my weakest spot in skating.

vCash
    Push deeply into your heel! The more pressure you can put on the back of the blade (without going too far back, of course) the easier it is to hold the edge. I found this especially true with swing rolls when you have to rise up towards the end. If you are not doing swing rolls, keep that skating knee down the whole time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    Push deeply into your heel! The more pressure you can put on the back of the blade (without going too far back, of course) the easier it is to hold the edge.
    I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure this is good advice for beginners, who may not yet have an accurate sense of how far back on the blade is too far.

For me, I found it more helpful to think about the lean. Even if you have just a little bit of a lean, you can usually feel the difference. Luenatic's advice about aligning yourself over the foot and thinking of leaning the entire side, not just bits and pieces, is really good.

Also, if the foot "wants to move straight forward" - well, don't let it If your foot is moving straight forward, that's because you're pushing it that way, and doing a curved edge out of that is going to be next to impossible. It might help to imagine a curve on the ice - it doesn't have to be a really deep one, even more like a ) than a really round half-circle. And then before you even start moving, envision yourself travelling on that curve, and push off into it. That could help you travel on a curve, rather than starting on a straight line and trying to bend it into a curve.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure this is good advice for beginners, who may not yet have an accurate sense of how far back on the blade is too far.
    I agree it may be too much for a real beginner, but since the OP is working on swing rolls, then I think that's far enough along for that bit of advice. Also, I hate to say it, but sooner or later, one learns what is too far back the hard way, or very nearly so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    I agree it may be too much for a real beginner, but since the OP is working on swing rolls, then I think that's far enough along for that bit of advice. Also, I hate to say it, but sooner or later, one learns what is too far back the hard way, or very nearly so.
    Well, at my rink swing rolls are one of the very first things the coaches teach the adults who are learning about edges, so I don't think we can assume the OP is not a "real beginner" just because she's trying swing rolls.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Have you ever checked blade alignment? When I first got my skates I had way too much inside edge and zero outside edge (not even flat). Your symptoms differ, just saying it could be an equipment problem...

vCash
    Bend your knees. When you think you have bent them, bend it some more.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Do School Figures.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Well, at my rink swing rolls are one of the very first things the coaches teach the adults who are learning about edges, so I don't think we can assume the OP is not a "real beginner" just because she's trying swing rolls.

Live and learn! I have never seen swing rolls taught so early. Real swing rolls are fairly difficult and require a degree of edge control first. I have nice deep O edges on cross rolls, both F and B, and can also do them at varying tempos, almost up to Paso Doble rhythm, and found the swing rolls in the Dutch Waltz to be the hardest element in all 3 Preliminary dances. In the Basic Skills (1-8) progression, a FO edge on a circle isn't taught until B4. The measly 4 Adult levels leave a lot out, IMO. Well, we are all different, and without actually seeing someone skate, it's hard to tell what they may really be ready for.

vCash
    Yep, school figures teach edges best!

So glad to see them on the new moves.

vCash
    This isn't a beginner exercise at all, but a great edge exercise is to do 3 cross strokes & every 3rd one hold the edge for an entire circle. You can do this w/ both forward & backward, & as you develop your edge strength you start deepening the edge more & more as much as possible while still controlling it. This is a great exercise for building up to figure loops.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by backspin View Post
    This isn't a beginner exercise at all, but a great edge exercise is to do 3 cross strokes & every 3rd one hold the edge for an entire circle. You can do this w/ both forward & backward, & as you develop your edge strength you start deepening the edge more & more as much as possible while still controlling it. This is a great exercise for building up to figure loops.

ITA. And it's great to see your circles get smaller and hear the rip.

vCash
    Thank you everybody, I will try out all of this as soon as I get on the ice

vCash
    What I am always a bit afraid of is that I am trying all these things and might do them wrong (like breaking in the waist instead of in the foot or whatever) and then ingrain the mistake somehow.
    Do you have ideas how to check wether one really was on an outside edge? Sometimes I can see the tracing but more like - is the feel in the body then different or so?

vCash
    If you're on one foot and you're curving in the correct direction, chances are good you're on the correct edge.

It's possible to steer around a circle on flats or even on the other edge, but that would generally feel like more of a struggle.

vCash
    Well, everything is a struggle still but thanks - then I seem to be at least on a little bit of an outside edge!

vCash
    Here is a tip from Carol Rossignol's education article in the most recent PSA magazine:

In this article, Carol tells about having the skater imagine a city of igloos that they will lean against as they describe edges and circular patterns (such as the 8-step mohawk.) She says "Mold yourself around each igloo, pressing the curved wall with all your parts, from head to fingertips to toes." I used this technique yesterday with a student who was having trouble with her upper body leaning out of her circle and it helped considerably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast