Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Well, since the award REQUIRES that the individual be LGBT, I guess we don't have to wait for Johnny's book to at least know he is either G or T.
    Just ask Evan which one he thinks Johnny is...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post

Really sad that the true activists don't get recognition. It goes to the Pop cultrure fame whores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwantumleap View Post
    The only thing I can really think of that Johnny has done has been stand up for gender identity diversity awareness and being against bullying. I think that's important, especially considering he's a pop icon, I just don't care for him. A human rights award seems to be a stretch.
    THESE.

I guess if I open up the right box of Cracker Jacks, I can get one of these HRC awards too?

vCash
    Well, since the award REQUIRES that the individual be LGBT, I guess we don't have to wait for Johnny's book to at least know he is either G or T.
    I vote for T.

vCash
    I read a while back that Johnny official outs himself in his last episode of Be Good Johnny Weir. It might have been on Aunt Joyce, but I know I read it recently. I somehow always manage to miss Be Good Johnny Weir, so I don't know first-hand, but I do believe Johnny has "outted" himself.

ETA: Congratulation on the award Johnny!

vCash
    Why he can't be B ?!

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I guess if I open up the right box of Cracker Jacks, I can get one of these HRC awards too?
    Rex, please know you absolutely deserve an HRC award. In fact, your work on behalf of saving humanity from the that is Sandra Lee deserves a Nobel Peace prize!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Rex, please know you absolutely deserve an HRC award. In fact, your work on behalf of saving humanity from the that is Sandra Lee deserves a Nobel Peace prize!
    Don't forget sainthood .

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    While I agree that Johnny handled RDS's comments brilliantly, I don't think they necessarily make him the best person for the award. Johnny puts the self-interest of his celebrity before any causes, while there are BGLT activists out there who work very hard, are involved in political, economic and social endeavours, and make personal sacrifices/take personal risks for their cause.

If the visibility award has been given to Johnny precisely because of his visibility as a celebrity who defends different sexual orientations, I find that sort of sad. Tons of celebrities make comments in defense of human rights and minorities and if they all merited an award for that there would be no end of award shows.

Talk is cheap. Aren't their 'visible' individuals out there who have done much more for human rights than just say a few politically correct sentences in a press conference?
    I posted the videos to his press conference during the Olympics to my facebook page. I got a lot of responses from my LGBT friends (and several who are not LGBT) about how much it meant to them to hear someone from their community defend them in such a way. Many of them hadn't even heard of Johnny Weir before I posted the video, but they all know him now, and still talk about what he did.

I think there is huge risk involved in coming out of the closet or defending lifestyle and career choices (let's face it-- Johnny wearing a pink corset and loud, glittery eye make-up at the Olympics is as much a career choice as it is a lifestyle choice because skating is his job, or one of them, anyhow). Otherwise, people like Perez wouldn't make such a big deal about outing people who have chosen for one reason or another not to come out. It doesn't sit well with me to make light of the courage it takes an LGBT person to be public about their orientation and/or lifestyle choices. Once the decision has been made to come out (or even just to defend the LGBT community as Johnny, who is not yet out, did), one has to be ready to live the consequences-- some of which may be dire-- for the rest of his or her life. For a person in the public eye, the consequences may be more far-reaching since there is less of a possibility to just pack up and start over somewhere else if things don't work out, for instance.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    (or even just to defend the LGBT community as Johnny, who is not yet out, did),
    He might not have been out when he made the statements, but I saw a video of Weir speaking at an LGBT gathering, and he spoke about "we" and "us". I thought that was his coming out speech.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I agree. I saw that speech too. He said, "our people are the ones who make the world f'ing beautiful." I don't understand the people who demand he say three words when he has been pretty obvious all his life. To quote him again, "are you stupid?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by azskatefan View Post
    Just ask Evan which one he thinks Johnny is...
    According to Evan he's not sure Johnny is even male. But then he's not sure what a mongoose is or if his dance is a Viennese or Vietnamese waltz so I wouldn't give his opinion too much credence.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    I agree. I saw that speech too. He said, "our people are the ones who make the world f'ing beautiful." I don't understand the people who demand he say three words when he has been pretty obvious all his life. To quote him again, "are you stupid?"
    He has been "pretty obvious"? IIRC he has generally said words like this quote: "I don't feel the need to express my sexual being because it's not part of my sport and it's private. I can sleep with whomever I choose and it doesn't affect what I'm doing on the ice, so speculation is speculation."

That's discreet, not obvious.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I wonder how much longer it will be before he gets an animal rights award.

vCash
    I wonder how much longer it will be before he gets an animal rights award.
    Or, maybe he will receive another human rights award for defending the essential human right to wear fur.
    Cheering for the headcases

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    Or, maybe he will receive another human rights award for defending the essential human right to wear fur.

For being a person who visibly defended the essential human right to wear fur and willingly faced death threats on that account. .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho View Post
    How did I know which direction this thread would take? Some people are so predictable.

For some balance, here's another things Johnny did that makes him a worthy recipient:
    http://www.slate.com/id/2261929/
    Thanks for posting this - it was a really interesting read and really gave me a new perspective on Johnny, as well as transgender kids in general. I was a big fan of Johnny earlier in his career, but started getting exasperated by his overgrown persona and lack of progress in his skating around the time he left Priscilla. Reading about tranny-kid camp kind of helped me rethink him, i.e., he was and still is one of these kids. More power to him - I just hope he can find a good niche and make a living.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    He has been "pretty obvious"? IIRC he has generally said words like this quote: "I don't feel the need to express my sexual being because it's not part of my sport and it's private. I can sleep with whomever I choose and it doesn't affect what I'm doing on the ice, so speculation is speculation."

That's discreet, not obvious.
    Actions speak louder than words. He didn't feel the need to express his sexual being nor should he have to but he never tried to hide behind a butch facade.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    Actions speak louder than words. He didn't feel the need to express his sexual being nor should he have to but he never tried to hide behind a butch facade.
    There are gay men who are butch too. Assuming that someone is gay because he likes fashion, occasionally wears makeup, and is an ice skater is just as fallible as assuming that someone who is butch is not gay. Which I think is the point Johnny is trying to make.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    True, but I am of the opinion that he would have flat out denied he was gay in the interest of more equal treatment by others if he wasn't. I think refusing to say one way or the other was a defense against those who would hold it against him especially in the world of sport. He was too honest to fake it and not self destructive enough to be blatant especially at the young age he was when he first competed. I'm sure he was advised. People who knew him back in the beginning have said what a quiet shy boy he was. Now that he's a confident man he's using his position as a person of some renown by being more vocal and visible. Hence the award.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Julietjonz View Post
    Thanks for posting this - it was a really interesting read and really gave me a new perspective on Johnny, as well as transgender kids in general. I was a big fan of Johnny earlier in his career, but started getting exasperated by his overgrown persona and lack of progress in his skating around the time he left Priscilla. Reading about tranny-kid camp kind of helped me rethink him, i.e., he was and still is one of these kids. More power to him - I just hope he can find a good niche and make a living.
    I too used to be a big fan of Johnny and am exasperated by his overgrown persona. IMO he's full of himself, an attention junkie, and very self-centered - I think that he is most interested in the shock value of what he says and gaining celebrity. Basically I am not convinced that he cares much about any political causes. When he gets attention my automatic response is to cringe and think that what he really needs is to learn some humility.

This is just my opinion but Johnny ubers feel free to away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast