Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post

Really sad that the true activists don't get recognition. It goes to the Pop cultrure fame whores.

Who do you have in mind that should be getting an HRC award but got slighted? If you have someone particular in mind, may be you can contact HRC and voice your opinion?

vCash
    Off topic, but I miss Johnny's performance.

vCash
    The people who decide who gets the award must all be straight.

vCash

Really sad that the true activists don't get recognition. It goes to the Pop cultrure fame whores.
    The only thing I can really think of that Johnny has done has been stand up for gender identity diversity awareness and being against bullying. I think that's important, especially considering he's a pop icon, I just don't care for him. A human rights award seems to be a stretch.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwantumleap View Post
    The only thing I can really think of that Johnny has done has been stand up for gender identity diversity awareness and being against bullying. I think that's important, especially considering he's a pop icon, I just don't care for him. A human rights award seems to be a stretch.
    Exactly what I was going to say, except I do like Johnny. I just don't think he's really done anything noteworthy as a "Human rights activist". But, hey, whatever. It's publicity for him, and skating by association. And positive publicity at that, I guess.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    congrats johnny

vCash
    I like Johnny, but I don't get why he was awarded this honor.

Congrats anyway. I'm sure he'll make the best of it.

O-

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    I bet he's getting recognized for his high-profile press conference in Vancouver during the Olympics. He was so eloquent and gracious in the face of terrible behavior by some insensitive commentators. I love him and think he deserves this award just for those very public, well-articulated comments.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    The Human Rights Campaign Visibility Award recognizes LGBT individuals who are living open and honest lives at home, at work and in their greater community – attributes that align with HRC's mission of creating a country that inspires and engages all Americans to work toward ending discrimination against LGBT citizens and realizing a nation that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all. Past recipients of the coveted National Visibility Award include WNBA star Sheryl Swoopes and "Young and the Restless" star Thom Bierdz, among others.
    http://www.atlantahrcdinner.org/visibility_award.aspx

Isn't Johnny planning on officially speaking about his sexuality in his upcoming book?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    I bet he's getting recognized for his high-profile press conference in Vancouver during the Olympics. He was so eloquent and gracious in the face of terrible behavior by some insensitive commentators. I love him and think he deserves this award just for those very public, well-articulated comments.
    Yes, along with his candidness and openness about his individuality, which he shows and encourages others to be themselves on "Be Good Johnny Weir." He supports the Elton John Aids Foundation, Elie Weisel Foundation for Humanity, UNICEF, Cool Kids and Heatherette Human Rights Campaign.

Johnny hopes to be an ambassador someday to Russia or S. Korea (he speaks Russian fluently and is learning Korean). When asked what he wanted other people to learn about him, he said, “My idea of teaching young people to be unique and believe in their own inner strength."
    http://www.looktothestars.org/celebr...78-johnny-weir

Anyway, congratulations, Johnny!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 09-10-2010 at 09:09 PM.

vCash

Because pop culture people cannot possibly be involved in human rights activism? That damn Elton and Michael Jackson. Such selfish pop icons.
    Reference musesk8r's post and LadyGray's. The honor is not undeserved. I'm not sure what people want him to be as far as activism goes. He's not wealthy and he's only 26 years old. He does what he can when he sees a need or is asked for help and it's more than alot of people in his position give. Congratulations Johnny! You're a good guy and you deserve this accolade.

vCash
    How did I know which direction this thread would take? Some people are so predictable.

For some balance, here's another things Johnny did that makes him a worthy recipient:
    http://www.slate.com/id/2261929/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho View Post
    Some people are so predictable.
    Are you including yourself in that group?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Congrats Johnny!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Especially his response to the two clowns from the French-language RDS.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I had no idea Sheryl Swoopes was gay, so I guess their definition of "open and honest" doesn't include shouting from the rooftops.

Johnny's always been unrepentently flamboyant, so to me, that's almost more difficult than being "openly gay."
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Lance Bass and his then boyfriend Reichen (from Amazing Race), and many people just went "Huh?"
    OMG ! Are you sure? Next thing you know Perez Hilton will get one too

vCash
    Well, he is getting something called the "Visibility Award" -- which sounds like it is for something highly publicized.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    Love Johnny, but I agree. Shouldn't they be rewarding actual activists rather than be kissing asses of celebrities?
    The connection between 'visibility' and 'human rights' is a tenuous one IMO.

It would seem that the candidate's visibility would have to promote human rights. Johnny's RDS comments certainly did address the issue of sexual orientation as a human right, but I would guess that there are activists out there in the BGLT community (not sure it's the right acronym) who put much more on the line than Johnny did and put in hours of work for the cause, which Johnny did not.

[QUOTE=LadyGrady] I bet he's getting recognized for his high-profile press conference in Vancouver during the Olympics. He was so eloquent and gracious in the face of terrible behavior by some insensitive commentators. I love him and think he deserves this award just for those very public, well-articulated comments.

While I agree that Johnny handled RDS's comments brilliantly, I don't think they necessarily make him the best person for the award. Johnny puts the self-interest of his celebrity before any causes, while there are BGLT activists out there who work very hard, are involved in political, economic and social endeavours, and make personal sacrifices/take personal risks for their cause.

If the visibility award has been given to Johnny precisely because of his visibility as a celebrity who defends different sexual orientations, I find that sort of sad. Tons of celebrities make comments in defense of human rights and minorities and if they all merited an award for that there would be no end of award shows.

Talk is cheap. Aren't their 'visible' individuals out there who have done much more for human rights than just say a few politically correct sentences in a press conference?

vCash
    The Olympics is a huge forum. You don't get more visible globally than that. Perhaps there are others who also deserve the award but there is only one per year. Johnny was very visible this year so it's his time. His award does not negate others who do good work.

vCash
    Well, since the award REQUIRES that the individual be LGBT, I guess we don't have to wait for Johnny's book to at least know he is either G or T.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast