Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 171
  1. #141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    My NBC station is showing Babar the Elephant.
    I thought Kwan looked in great shape.

  2. #142
    Not 'Boxxy'!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    9,741
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh, dear!

  3. #143
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,790
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny_sari View Post
    Yes because I actually said Oreo doesn't know how to count. I personally know one person who was there who actually took a cell pic of how many Johnny signs were there. There was actually one little section that was littered with them. I can post the pic for you if you'd like. Also there were two fan groups of Johnny's there that brought signs and ran out of them because so many people were requesting them when they passed them out. I counted a ton of Johnny signs during the live broadcast in Korea and NBC's as well.
    Sorry, but I'll take the word of someone who was actually at the show over the word of someone who has a cellphone picture of signs in a single section, taken by a Johnny fan.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sorry couldn't resist that one after all those chunky comments

  5. #145
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    93
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Sorry, but I'll take the word of someone who was actually at the show over the word of someone who has a cellphone picture of signs in a single section, taken by a Johnny fan.
    Cool bro, so your argument is what exactly? That there weren't a lot of Johnny signs? Fans? As another poster says I can't imagine why this is so important but if you would like I've mentioned before I can send you several twit pictures that could totally prove the case. He has fans. He puts butts in the seats. Kelly Osbourne, Brad Goreski, Lucian Piane all showed up just for him. Deal.

  6. #146

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,280
    vCash
    402
    Rep Power
    1124
    The best part of NBC's presentation was that there was no Tom Hammond, Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic to ruin it.

    Some of my thoughts on the skating:

    Johnny's 'Poker Face' program looked off ... not sure why but not his best for me.

    If I see one more slow lovey dovey program from Virtue and Moir I believe I will vomit. Let's hope the new season will see a move in a different direction. They are great skaters and I want them to challenge themselves more.

    Stephane - what can you say... a master showman who gives every ounce of his energy and passion for us.

    Yuna is not the show skater yet... and as for comparing her with Kwan's show skating ability is extremely unfair at this point. Give her another 5 to 10 years and revisit the comparison again.

    Michelle - Loved her Winter Song much more than No One! But oh does she show the passion she has for skating.

    Hope we see more Galas like this in the states in the future.

    I sent a thankyou tweet to @nbc_sports for not using their skating announcers.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

  7. #147
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jersey of course!
    Posts
    997
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4
    I really enjoyed S/S. Beautiful music, choreography and fantastic visual just worked marvelously. I think I generally enjoy the pairs the most in show skating. They never dumb down technical elements
    Maybe it's because show skating is geared toward general public rather than serious fs fans, but I find competitive skating far more enjoyable. Still, the production was phenomenal. I want to see pro competition revived for more serious fans. I don't know how lucrative it can be, but maybe ATS or IMG can put something together.

  8. #148

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Polina's fan club!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    6,509
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1255
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    I sent a thankyou tweet to @nbc_sports for not using their skating announcers.
    That is an excellent suggestion and I will follow suit.

    Jersey, I too enjoy competition way more than show. That said, this wasn't bad show for me. It was nice to see Michelle - she looked happy to be there.

    I'm suprised there is not a poll in the Trash Can to determine who is the REAL final and lasting and forever queen - Kim, Kwan, or Johnny. (or maybe that was decided over the summer and I missed it? )

  9. #149
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,790
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny_sari View Post
    Cool bro, so your argument is what exactly? That there weren't a lot of Johnny signs? Fans? As another poster says I can't imagine why this is so important but if you would like I've mentioned before I can send you several twit pictures that could totally prove the case. He has fans. He puts butts in the seats. Kelly Osbourne, Brad Goreski, Lucian Piane all showed up just for him. Deal.
    I have no interest in seeing your fanpics, thanks all the same. Again, I'll take the word of someone who was actually at the show.

    And if you seriously think it's impressive that one C-list celebrity and two people whose names very few people would recognize came just to see Johnny....well, the best I can say is that you seriously lack perspective.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  10. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sochi voids
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    That seriously was the Yu-Na/Michelle show.

  11. #151
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Partying with the Skate Gods
    Posts
    39,977
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    17334
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post

    And if you seriously think it's impressive that one C-list celebrity and two people whose names very few people would recognize came just to see Johnny....well, the best I can say is that you seriously lack perspective.
    Or are 12 years old.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

  12. #152

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    I'm turning what????
    Age
    43
    Posts
    9,296
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    328
    I was at the show and there were a fairly vocal group of Johnny fans who attended. Johnny has some rabid fans out there. I just don't see how that is relevant to anything being discussed here. His performance of Poker Face was weak, and people have every right to comment on that.

    Overall, I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the telecast. The camera angles were well-planned out and the broadcast was well-edited. It was nice to get at least one number from just about every skater; I had feared there would be more chacking. I also understood why they chose the performances they did, since they provided a nice balance between classical and pop and spread the different disciplines around the show. I would have preferred to see Johnny's first number over Poker Face, but if they did that, it would have meant all three men's performances were from the first act (though they could have opted to show Chan's second act number instead of Take Five; Stephane's William Tell Overture would have meant three classical numbers in a row since he went between S/S an S/Z). I also would have preferred to see B/A's second number, because it is new, but that would have meant all dance and pairs were from the second act. NBC really did not have much of a choice with pairs and dance, imo. V/M's first act dance was even more dull than I Want to Hold Your Hand, and, while S/Z's and S/S's first act performances were good (actually S/Z's number was great), their second act performances were highlights of the show and should not have been missed.

    I do kind of wish NBC had chacked the B-Boys/Skater for S/Z's first act performance. Does anyone besides me think the dancers schooled the skaters? Other than Stephane's spin, none of the skaters really had any great "tricks." Were we supposed to be impressed with Scott Moir's doing an impression of a human toboggan across the ice?

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    93
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I was at the show and there were a fairly vocal group of Johnny fans who attended. Johnny has some rabid fans out there. I just don't see how that is relevant to anything being discussed here. His performance of Poker Face was weak, and people have every right to comment on that.

    Overall, I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the telecast. The camera angles were well-planned out and the broadcast was well-edited. It was nice to get at least one number from just about every skater; I had feared there would be more chacking. I also understood why they chose the performances they did, since they provided a nice balance between classical and pop and spread the different disciplines around the show. I would have preferred to see Johnny's first number over Poker Face, but if they did that, it would have meant all three men's performances were from the first act (though they could have opted to show Chan's second act number instead of Take Five; Stephane's William Tell Overture would have meant three classical numbers in a row since he went between S/S an S/Z). I also would have preferred to see B/A's second number, because it is new, but that would have meant all dance and pairs were from the second act. NBC really did not have much of a choice with pairs and dance, imo. V/M's first act dance was even more dull than I Want to Hold Your Hand, and, while S/Z's and S/S's first act performances were good (actually S/Z's number was great), their second act performances were highlights of the show and should not have been missed.

    I do kind of wish NBC had chacked the B-Boys/Skater for S/Z's first act performance. Does anyone besides me think the dancers schooled the skaters? Other than Stephane's spin, none of the skaters really had any great "tricks." Were we supposed to be impressed with Scott Moir's doing an impression of a human toboggan across the ice?
    Johnny's performance of PF was weak. I certainly didn't argue that. He was much slower than usual and he was moving cautiously. I only stated that it was because he had a crash landing on his hip during practice that made it hard for him to move. It was evident he was in pain. It has nothing to do with him being this crap-ass skater who doesn't train as many would like to argue. His performances in China only 3 weeks ago were amazing.

  14. #154
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,643
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1686
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Yuna is not the show skater yet... and as for comparing her with Kwan's show skating ability is extremely unfair at this point. Give her another 5 to 10 years and revisit the comparison again.
    Looking back at Michelle's performances as a teenager versus Yuna's, there's no comparision. Michelle's always worn her heart on her sleeve. Yuna leaves me cold. "Meditation" is one of my favorite pieces of music, but I felt nothing watching her skate....

  15. #155
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    455
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    Yu-Na's 'Meditation' is gorgeous.
    I was there in person but still so excited to see Yuna's gala programs on NBC. Yuna's Meditation was just marvelous. Very graceful with great lines as expected from her skating. Totally dig her peppy Bulletproof number. She is blossoming into this gorgeous and versatile show skater and I hope she comes back to LA next year. Michelle is a great skater, but the One left me cold as it did in ATS Seoul. Maybe my expectation was too high. I don't know what it is but the performance always feels so flat. Maybe it is her upper body movements lacking feeling or slow speed across the ice. Seeing after Yuna's Meditation this time, especially so. Winter Song was better, considering she is a grad student, but a little more sparks would improve it.

    Belbin & Agosto number was just too iky to me. Here is a nice article about that:

    Belbin and Agosto's moment of hysteria
    http://www.universalsports.com/blogs...oment+hysteria
    Last edited by amaro; 10-11-2010 at 06:20 AM.

  16. #156
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Some people were just born to be skaters and there are very few of them. Michelle is one of those, cant imagine her doing anything else. Wish she was able to do more shows.

  17. #157

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,081
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2109
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I was at the show and she was deservedly chacked. She was really out of her league performance-wise.

    What happened with Ashley's performance that she deserved to be chacked?

  18. #158

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    I'm turning what????
    Age
    43
    Posts
    9,296
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    What happened with Ashley's performance that she deserved to be chacked?
    Her skating was very small (for lack of a better word) and she just doesn't have great performance skills. Her first number was an upbeat, peppy number, but she just couldn't carry it off well. It was a by-the-numbers performance where her movements did not match the music. The second number was a little better, but still rather dull. Ashley is a good technical skater, but she has a long way to go before she is a good show skater. (I feel the same way about Yu Na's Bulletproof; she does not have the personality or dance moves to really carry that routine off, though I do think it played better on TV than live.)

    In the original thread, I mentioned my mother's reaction to Ashley. My mom had only seen live skating once -- the free dance at 2009 Worlds -- so I found her response to a show quite interesting. After Ashley skated, my mom commented about how hard it must be for skaters to display enough personality to reach a crowd in an arena like Staples. As soon as S/S did Barbie Girl, my mom changed her mind and summed it up to "some skaters just have 'it'."

  19. #159
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,286
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Hero is sweet and all, but I want more Stephane!
    Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOqQyTt8mrg

  20. #160
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Some people were just born to be skaters and there are very few of them. Michelle is one of those, cant imagine her doing anything else. Wish she was able to do more shows.
    Damn, why didn't you tell her before she wasted all that money on White House assignments and grad school?!

    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •