vCash

Ryanair boss O'Leary: Co-pilots are unnecessary

No more Ryanair flights for me, I guess.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...Us_QXc8PRBDTAA

Prick Admin
    vCash
    The day they have no co-pilot is the day I stop flying with them.

Which reminds me that I need to book that €16 return fare for the end of October today.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    The day they have no co-pilot is the day I stop flying with them.

Which reminds me that I need to book that €16 return fare for the end of October today.
    To where?

I don't think he'll get through with this. It shouldn't be legal, anyway.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    To where?
    A place that rhymes with fork.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    A place that rhymes with fork.
    I thought so

vCash
    I guess O'Leary doesn't fly with his own airline

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    I guess O'Leary doesn't fly with his own airline
    Oh, I'm pretty sure he does. It would be a bit of a PR nightmare if he didn't.

If I had a € for every time Michael O'Leary said something outrageous...

vCash
    Well a lot of celebs who are endorsed for main stream brands don't use them, they're bound to say so but I really doubt Eva Longoria wears L'Oreal mascara when on the red carpet. Of all the low cost lines I've tried Ryanair and Belleair (that's Albanian) are the most stress inducing, to me at least.
    That said, I used Ryanair in 2006 going to Bruxelles and one of my friends had a panic attack, fainted in the toilette and the flight attendants didn't have a clue what to do. They were just wandering wide eyed up and down the aisle! My friend was actually brought out of the restroom by one of my friends and assisted by us. I agree there are some things one can give up on a flight if willing to pay less but security isn't one of them.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Well, I don't think I'd classify Michael O'Leary as a celebrity. More like a DAW CEO. And his rival airlines would be all over him if he used them to fly instead of his own company.

Flying Ryanair can be very stressful. I tend to weigh up the difference in cost and convenience before I fly with them. And I wear sunglasses on board so that the interior doesn't hurt my eyes.

vCash
    I would assume he has his own jet.

Company owned, for sure. But private.

vCash
    The guy is certifiably nuts...
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    y.Well, I don't think I'd classify Michael O'Leary as a celebrity. More like a DAW CEO. And his rival airlines would be all over him if he used them to fly instead of his own company
    What a DAW? Well I think you got what a meant. I'm with Norlite, I think with all the money he's made, he has his own spaceship.

Flying Ryanair can be very stressful. I tend to weigh up the difference in cost and convenience before I fly with them. And I wear sunglasses on board so that the interior doesn't hurt my eyes.
    Word! Their aircrafts look like trolleybuses and their landings are downright Vueling as far as I can remember was pretty neat and to fly with.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    What a DAW?
    Desperate Attention-seeking Whore.

Michael O'Leary may very well have his own private jet, but he has always struck me as being a very frugal man in the Ingvar Kamprad (of IKEA) mould. I've never heard of him using one and there are too many people who would love to make an issue of it.

The outrageous statements may seem nuts, but they are part of a marketing strategy. Free advertising innit.

Anyone who subscribes to the Financial Times, I thought that the article below summarised O'Leary's modus operandi pretty well:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/073c8d40-e...44feab49a.html

I know a place...
    vCash

If I had a € for every time Michael O'Leary said something outrageous...
    I don't know, the head of West Jet flies Air Canada Jazz for regional trips. West Jet cut back alot of their flights to the smaller centres a few years ago, so in order to fly to one place in the morning and fly home at night he's had to fly Jazz.

vCash
    Nothin’ new from O’Leary….. few years back he wanted to create “Standing Room Only” on domestic flights….. ….. British CAA would not let him. But there was a video and a comic song about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymLWycAPZaQ

There is about a dozen of “funny songs” about Ryanair, and they are ALL funny…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN3UI8hBezo&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3so6...eature=related

Their official commercial would create HAVOC in USA and Canada as “sexist and un-PC”.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2NO4...eature=related

There is no way in HELL British CAA and European EASA will let him operate an aircraft with one Pilot for his fleet of B737-800 with 170 to 190 passengers on board.

Hypothetically, one can have a stewardess or steward to hold an ATPL, to go through biannual SIM training and Ground School/Emerg/Evac certification, to keep up hourly and flight required minimums, and basically be PILOTS….. Not considering of course the training costs and re-current training costs……

But why would a certified Pilot, then, work as a stewardess?

He says this stuff to attract attention, I am certain. It's a publicity stunt.....

I love the fact that this guy is Rich and Crazy, and defines authority and rules….. My problem with him is not “Crazy”, but that he is Crazy and hates everybody, and he does things to annoy the human population while in a service industry, so it seems….

Quote Originally Posted by musicgurl View Post
    I don't know, the head of West Jet flies Air Canada Jazz for regional trips. West Jet cut back alot of their flights to the smaller centres a few years ago, so in order to fly to one place in the morning and fly home at night he's had to fly Jazz.
    I think it’s for practical reasons only. West Jet and Air Canada are blood-enemies, so to say…..

Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    I would assume he has his own jet.
    Company owned, for sure. But private.
    I do not believe he ownes a private jet.

But he ownes a Private Taxi..... which is his own personal car, for which he purchased Taxi-Cab License Tags so that he can drive in the commercial traffic lane in down-town Dublin. He kept on driving his own car, until Police stopped him and explained that in order to be qualified as a Taxi, the automobile needs a Taxi Driver, and O'Leary is not it..... So O'Leary hired a "Private Taxi Cab driver".......