Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    That "One Day I'll Fly Away" was a very nice program. She's added some grace to her skating is looking better. Wish her luck for the new season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Her priorities should really be:
    1. speed
    2. lutz and flip technique
    3. line and posture
    4. 3/3
    5. spins
    This is a great list, except I would move line and posture to the top (assuming this is a feasible goal for Rachael, not sure about the back thing). Speed is important, but I think Rachael could still hold her own in the US if she gets the "pretty" look downpat, combined with those impressive 3/3s, even if she's a bit slow. I mean, Alissa isn't particularly fast, yet she has a US title and would have had even more if she could have gotten those jumps under control.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I would reverse your #4 and #5. 3+3 should be last priority for Rachael. She has lots more to work on improving besides that.
    I think spins are much more important, but since jumps are worth more now and GOEs mean less, she is going to get more points standing up on a cheated 3/3 than finally fixing those dreadful spins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    This is a great list, except I would move line and posture to the top (assuming this is a feasible goal for Rachael, not sure about the back thing). Speed is important, but I think Rachael could still hold her own in the US if she gets the "pretty" look downpat, combined with those impressive 3/3s, even if she's a bit slow.
    For PCS and overall impression, speed is (supposedly) much more important. Line and posture are important to skating but are not as important under COP.

I also think she probably has a better shot getting closer to Slutskaya than to Kwan in terms of skating. It's so wrong for her to take that princess route. Her latest long program makes me .

vCash
    For PCS and overall impression, speed is (supposedly) much more important. Line and posture are important to skating but are not as important under COP.

I also think she probably has a better shot getting closer to Slutskaya than to Kwan in terms of skating. It's so wrong for her to take that princess route. Her latest long program makes me .
    I just don't think she's ever going to have a super powerful or aggressive style. She is such a hard worker, I really think if she had started this summer with the goal of improving her posture and line, we would see a huge difference. I mean, she basically fixed her flutz in one summer, so you'd think she could learn to hold her back up and relax her shoulders. Instead, she worked on 3/3s and took some jazz classes, which is great, but not enough to improve her overall look.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I just don't think she's ever going to have a super powerful or aggressive style. She is such a hard worker, I really think if she had started this summer with the goal of improving her posture and line, we would see a huge difference. I mean, she basically fixed her flutz in one summer, so you'd think she could learn to hold her back up and relax her shoulders. Instead, she worked on 3/3s and took some jazz classes, which is great, but not enough to improve her overall look.
    I can't see her being fast or agressive, but I can't see her being elegant either. That's why I think she should just be athletic and focus on the technical elements and all the whilst making sure she has enough of the aesthetics to get by. When I mentioned Slutskaya/ Kwan, I absolutely did not mean their level, but that direction. At her best perhaps Flatt can be another Yoshie Onda. An eyesore, but at least an infectious skater.

She might have some sort of injury that affected her back. There was some clip floating around last week of her doing a wonderful layback a few years ago. And given how she is built, her line and posture can only go so far really.

And to be honest, the flutz... is not fixed. She no longer takes off from the inside edge yes, but the way she shifts her body before takeoff - UGLY.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    I don't think Tom Z sees the flaws in many of his skaters. His focus has always been technical...he is not particularly known for "finishing skaters," ...creating a long line on the ice is not his forte.
    I wonder if Tom Z's philosophy may have something to do with his skaters' development. I remember him stressing hard work over talent in an old interview. That means he may choose hard workers over naturally gifted students.

vCash
    I can't see her being fast or agressive, but I can't see her being elegant either. That's why I think she should just be athletic and focus on the technical elements and all the whilst making sure she has enough of the aesthetics to get by. When I mentioned Slutskaya/ Kwan, I absolutely did not mean their level, but that direction. At her best perhaps Flatt can be another Yoshie Onda. An eyesore, but at least an infectious skater.

She might have some sort of injury that affected her back. There was some clip floating around last week of her doing a wonderful layback a few years ago. And given how she is built, her line and posture can only go so far really.

And to be honest, the flutz... is not fixed. She no longer takes off from the inside edge yes, but the way she shifts her body before takeoff - UGLY.
    Re: The flutz, you may still think it's ugly but the "flutz" part of the jump IS fixed. I don't think it's the most attractive entrance either, but I don't find it too distracting and it is a real lutz.

I don't think body type is the problem here. Dorothy Hamill wasn't rail thin, had muscular legs and real hips, and she had the best posture in the business despite not being "bendy." Same can be said for Yuka Sato and others. Pointing your toes, and extending your legs (not bending your knees slightly) during camel spins/spirals, relaxing your shoulders and keeping your head up....these are all things that Rachael is more than capable of doing.

Also, I DO think Rachael is capable of elegance. I find that, like Sarah Hughes, there are flashes of elegance in her programs, only to be followed immediately by clunky, awkward moments. At least Hughes had speed, so maybe you have a point there

vCash
    I would also suggest that she should work on the size of her jumps, alas GOEs are worth much less now - not worth it.

vCash
    Hmmm, Slaughter on Tenth Avenue? Well, she's no Suzanne Farrell, but I'll be interested to see what she can do with it...

Best of luck to her!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    It sounds like she's working harder than ever, and it will be interesting to see what she's capable of improving now that her busy senior year and the Olympics are over. Go Rachael!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12