Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 783
  1. #221

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Islands in the Stream
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    144
    LOL @ people getting angry over internet message boards. Hmmm, so Artunian is out of the possible coaches? It will definitely be interesting to not only know who the coach will be but which others were considered for the position.

  2. #222
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In little Yuna's Corner
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Amarant View Post
    I have a memory of many of Lakewood's posts on the forum. Not just the previous one.

    I'm also getting really tired of various other posters who have taken the stance that Yuna "saved" Brian's coaching career after their split. I wanted to clarify that Orser never intended to be a coach before Yuna approached him.
    Drink.Take a deep breath. Or you can leave this thread without getting tired. This is Yuna moving to LA thread.

    Can we stay on topic?

    Yuna said on her interview from New York when she attended the International Peace at UN headquarters, that she has two candidates now; they both are male, American and based in LA. So she said she would be staying in LA.

  3. #223
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Land of Make Believe
    Age
    31
    Posts
    84
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think Yuna will adapt to L.A. very well. But I hope she doesn't have asthma or bad allergies because this polluted L.A. air will do wonders for it. Seriously, there are days when I'm out running errands only to come home and find film of grey soot inside my nostrils. The air is that bad over here sometimes.

  4. #224
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    I think Yuna will adapt to L.A. very well. But I hope she doesn't have asthma or bad allergies because this polluted L.A. air will do wonders for it. Seriously, there are days when I'm out running errands only to come home and find film of grey soot inside my nostrils. The air is that bad over here sometimes.
    Actually air quality in Southern California, including LA County, is no worse than any other North American metropolitan areas, unless you reside in the valley areas at the foot of the mountains. The coastal areas in LA and Orange County have very good climate and air quality. And overall it is much better than most of the big cities in Asia. I've seen several episodes of asthma patients getting better when they moved from Asia to SoCal.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 09-18-2010 at 07:58 AM.

  5. #225
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hungary
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,291
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by amaro View Post
    igniculus, you are a Maobot,
    Hardly. More a Johnnybot.

    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I demand a recount.

  6. #226
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    I think Mao’s done. If you ask me why, I have good reasons for that assessment. And please don’t whine about my blunt and short judgment, as we’re in a Yu-Na thread so it won’t please anyone visiting this thread to go in details on other skaters. And what do you mean by “using” David Wilson. Don’t be so low. They have done wonderful things together for the benefit of all our skating fans, and I hope they would continue to do so.
    I am the queen of England. I have proof of this, but don't ask me because this thread is about Yu-na.

    If you don't want to bring something up, then don't!

  7. #227
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Actually air quality in Southern California, including LA County, is no worse than any other North American metropolitan areas, unless you reside in the valley areas at the foot of the mountains. The coastal areas in LA and Orange County have very good climate and air quality. And overall it is much better than most of the big cities in Asia. I've seen several episodes of asthma patients getting better when they moved from Asia to SoCal.
    East West is not in LA, it's in South Bay, and not in a nice part of it, though. It's nowhere near the coast. The air in China is pretty bad, but the air in Korea is infinitely better that L.A., at least as my nose has been able to tell. Yu-na hasn't been living in Asia anyhow, she's been living in the clean air of Canada.

    L.A. pollution is awful, and I've never been to another U.S. city that compares. With that said, there are plenty of asthmatic skaters in SoCal and they do just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    Drink.Take a deep breath. Or you can leave this thread without getting tired. This is Yuna moving to LA thread.

    Can we stay on topic?

    Yuna said on her interview from New York when she attended the International Peace at UN headquarters, that she has two candidates now; they both are male, American and based in LA. So she said she would be staying in LA.
    I'm guessing Peter Opperguard is one. Wondering who the second could be. There really are few prominent male coaches in the LA area left, and with Nicks in OC and Carroll in the mountains, the number to pick from is even smaller. Who else is there, really? Kongemi is still at El Segundo so that's a possibility, maybe.

  8. #228
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In little Yuna's Corner
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post

    I'm guessing Peter Opperguard is one.
    Wondering who the second could be. There really are few prominent male coaches in the LA area left, and with Nicks in OC and Carroll in the mountains, the number to pick from is even smaller. Who else is there, really? Kongemi is still at El Segundo so that's a possibility, maybe.
    I'm clueless about Peter's coaching technique. Is he a technical coach? I know Yuna needs to get her 3loop back and be consistent with it assuming that she competes.

  9. #229
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    East West is not in LA, it's in South Bay, and not in a nice part of it, though. It's nowhere near the coast...
    L.A. pollution is awful, and I've never been to another U.S. city that compares. With that said, there are plenty of asthmatic skaters in SoCal and they do just fine.
    East West is in Artesia, not in South Bay, and is some 20 minute either from the coast or from the City of LA. Los Angeles County and the neighboring Orange County spread over big areas along the coast, so bad air in some area (e.g. LA) wouldn’t be a relevant factor in Yu-Na's training base decision.

  10. #230

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    439
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Evgeni Plushenko is...

    1. Olympic Champion.
    2. Two-Time Olympic Silver Medalist
    3.Three-Time World Champion or maybe more than that
    4. How many times? I don't even remember-Maybe Four Times?:European Champion.
    5.How many times? Again I don't even remember : Grand Prix Final Champion
    6. Eurovision winner
    .
    .
    .
    .
    98 King of Russian mullets.
    99. Russian sports politican
    100. Elected as the GREATEST SKATER of ALL TIME by fans.

    Which means your argument is clearly invalid.


    Seriously, bots, stop this BS already. There were many great skaters before Yeona, and there will be many alike. Just stop trying to push your überdom down on our throats that she is the best thing happenning to figure skating/mankind. Because she isn't.
    Sorry, I just dropped in. I just couldn't help but edit your post because I saw Plush's name.
    Last edited by galaxy; 09-19-2010 at 01:38 PM.

  11. #231
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    459
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    East West is in Artesia, not in South Bay, and is some 20 minute either from the coast or from the City of LA. Los Angeles County and the neighboring Orange County spread over big areas along the coast, so bad air in some area (e.g. LA) wouldn’t be a relevant factor in Yu-Na's training base decision.
    I visited the LA and the Orange county area once, but isn't the traffic also bad around there? Ease of commute might also play a factor.

  12. #232
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    83
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Sorry, I just dropped in. I just couldn't help but edit your post because I saw Plush's name.
    Who's more popular in Russia...Plushenko or G&G ?

    I don't like Plushenko because...So ugly. Sorry.
    As a matter of fact...I don't like any male skaters except Adam Rippon.

    But...I love Katia...She is one of the reason...I became a Russia fan.

  13. #233
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    I'm clueless about Peter's coaching technique. Is he a technical coach? I know Yuna needs to get her 3loop back and be consistent with it assuming that she competes.
    Peter is known as a technical rather than artistic coach, yes. But as for whether he's a GOOD coach or not, I don't know. The only skaters I knew whom he coached were a couple of friends of mine (one singles, one pairs) who didn't seem to make a whole lot of progress under him, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach. As I've voiced in the trash can, though, there are stories that he is too harsh on women when it comes to food, and if Yu-na has any kind of body image issues that could become a serious problem if those allegations are true, which I personally do think they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    East West is in Artesia, not in South Bay, and is some 20 minute either from the coast or from the City of LA. Los Angeles County and the neighboring Orange County spread over big areas along the coast, so bad air in some area (e.g. LA) wouldn’t be a relevant factor in Yu-Na's training base decision.
    I've skated at East West so I do know where it is. 20 minutes? Do you go there at 4am? In traffic it's more like an hour and a half to L.A. and 45 mins to the coast....the 91 is nasty at all times of day, so is the 110.

    Technically Artesia is in the gateway cities, but it's only about 2 miles away from the eastern most part of South Bay, and therefore many people still refer to the area as South Bay, the city's less than 2mi² so I doubt she'd actually live there anywhow and would more likely choose a bigger city such as Torrance, which both has a big Korean population, and is in South Bay proper: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bay,_Los_Angeles

    The commute from L.A. to Artesia is not fun any time of day.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkatingAnalyst View Post
    Who's more popular in Russia...Plushenko or G&G ?

    I don't like Plushenko because...So ugly. Sorry.
    You choose which athletes you like based on whether or not you find them physically attractive? How does that affect their performance?

  14. #234
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    83
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    Peter is known as a technical rather than artistic coach, yes. But as for whether he's a GOOD coach or not, I don't know. The only skaters I knew whom he coached were a couple of friends of mine (one singles, one pairs) who didn't seem to make a whole lot of progress under him, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach. As I've voiced in the trash can, though, there are stories that he is too harsh on women when it comes to food, and if Yu-na has any kind of body image issues that could become a serious problem if those allegations are true, which I personally do think they are.



    I've skated at East West so I do know where it is. 20 minutes? Do you go there at 4am? In traffic it's more like an hour and a half to L.A. and 45 mins to the coast....the 91 is nasty at all times of day, so is the 110.

    Technically Artesia is in the gateway cities, but it's only about 2 miles away from the eastern most part of South Bay, and therefore many people still refer to the area as South Bay, the city's less than 2mi² so I doubt she'd actually live there anywhow and would more likely choose a bigger city such as Torrance, which both has a big Korean population, and is in South Bay proper: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bay,_Los_Angeles

    The commute from L.A. to Artesia is not fun any time of day.



    You choose which athletes you like based on whether or not you find them physically attractive? How does that affect their performance?
    First of all...I don't watch men's skating at all.

    I like a female skater who is not only good but also pretty, beautiful and
    attractive.

    I don't think I'm the only one.

  15. #235
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jersey of course!
    Posts
    997
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4
    If you don't follow men's skating in the first place, why does it matter whether Plushenko is ugly or not?

  16. #236

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Western US Mecca of Figure Skating
    Posts
    458
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    Peter is known as a technical rather than artistic coach, yes. But as for whether he's a GOOD coach or not, I don't know. The only skaters I knew whom he coached were a couple of friends of mine (one singles, one pairs) who didn't seem to make a whole lot of progress under him, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach. As I've voiced in the trash can, though, there are stories that he is too harsh on women when it comes to food, and if Yu-na has any kind of body image issues that could become a serious problem if those allegations are true, which I personally do think they are.



    I've skated at East West so I do know where it is. 20 minutes? Do you go there at 4am? In traffic it's more like an hour and a half to L.A. and 45 mins to the coast....the 91 is nasty at all times of day, so is the 110.

    Technically Artesia is in the gateway cities, but it's only about 2 miles away from the eastern most part of South Bay, and therefore many people still refer to the area as South Bay, the city's less than 2mi² so I doubt she'd actually live there anywhow and would more likely choose a bigger city such as Torrance, which both has a big Korean population, and is in South Bay proper: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bay,_Los_Angeles

    The commute from L.A. to Artesia is not fun any time of day.



    You choose which athletes you like based on whether or not you find them physically attractive? How does that affect their performance?
    TD: Where would you have Yuna practice in Torrance? Harbor City Skating
    Edge? Pleeeeeze! It's a nice rink, but it certainly is not the training venue that E/W is...but to each their own.

    Your other answers appear to me to be a s-t-r-e-t-c-h.
    Happy Skating!

    Crzesk8dad

  17. #237
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SkatingAnalyst View Post
    ...I don't like Plushenko because...So ugly. Sorry.
    As a matter of fact...I don't like any male skaters except Adam Rippon...

    First of all...I don't watch men's skating at all.

    I like a female skater who is not only good but also pretty, beautiful and
    attractive...
    I usually find men’s skating more exciting than ladies’, as their skating has more scale to it -- their speed, jumps and all. And I would take Plushy’s over Rippon’s any day for the same reason. I find neither of them ugly.

    Good physique and pretty faces are pleasing to eyes, but good programs and performances are what matters and touches the audience.

  18. #238
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by amaro View Post
    I visited the LA and the Orange county area once, but isn't the traffic also bad around there? Ease of commute might also play a factor.
    Yes, the traffic in SoCal is pretty bad, especially freeway traffic during busy hours and in busy directions. Yu-Na should definitely take this into account, and she better make a residence in the vicinity of her rink, where she can commute easily along the local streets and avoid busy freeway traffic.

  19. #239
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    ...I've skated at East West so I do know where it is. 20 minutes? Do you go there at 4am? In traffic it's more like an hour and a half to L.A. and 45 mins to the coast....the 91 is nasty at all times of day, so is the 110.

    Technically Artesia is in the gateway cities, but it's only about 2 miles away from the eastern most part of South Bay, and therefore many people still refer to the area as South Bay, the city's less than 2mi² so I doubt she'd actually live there anywhow and would more likely choose a bigger city such as Torrance, which both has a big Korean population, and is in South Bay proper: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bay,_Los_Angeles

    The commute from L.A. to Artesia is not fun any time of day...
    I used to live in Cerritos (long time ago) and also in Torrance, and I’ve never seen anybody referring Cerritos/Artesia as South Bay.

    It’s true that freeway traffic to/from LA is pretty bad, but one hour and a half from LA to Artesia? Sure, it can happen if you are stuck on a freeway in a jammed traffic on your bad day, but it would take well short of an hour even if you drive along local roads from LA to Artesia, even in peak hours. If you avoid busy hours, you can get from LA to Artesia/Cerritos within 20-30 minutes with no problem. Even during busy morning hours, I-5 South, 110 South, 91 East and 105 East are not that bad.

    And as I said in my other post, no matter Yu-Na chooses East West or other rink, she doesn’t need to pick LA or Torrance (which have big Korean communities) for her residence. She might as well live in a suburban/coastal area with less Korean population and within a short driving distance from her rink. She would have no problem getting to a nearby town with Korean shops and markets, as there are many sizeable Korean communities all over LA and Orange County, like Torrance, Cerritos and Garden Grove.

  20. #240
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    Posts
    191
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh it's going to be Frank. It makes the most sense, considering his connection to MK and Kim's admiration of her...and also the fact that Frank's an awesome coach!

    Completely off topic but...would someone please hurry up and buy Johnny those Rick Owen platform heel boots he keeps tweeting about! lol
    Last edited by Spartacus; 09-20-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •