Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I know he's coached multiple elite skaters, but do coaches ever have skaters like that who are realistically aiming for the same podium?
    Didn't stop either Nicolai or Linichuck. Conflict of interest? Money talks .

Carlo Fassi also had both Kadavy and Trenary as students at the same time.

Didn't Nicolai part way with TT in late 02/ early 03, because he was helping MK with choreography while also working with TT to train Sasha?

vCash
    I know he's coached multiple elite skaters, but do coaches ever have skaters like that who are realistically aiming for the same podium?
    Weren't Urmanov, Yags and Plush realistically aiming for the same podiums (at least at Russian Nats and Euros) when all were coached by Mishin?

vCash
    Yes, but as I remember it, Yags and Plushy were Mishin's "garbage" that were allowed to shine only after Prince Poppycock was too injured to compete.

Yu-na coming to SoCal! More opps to catch her perform.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Weren't Urmanov, Yags and Plush realistically aiming for the same podiums (at least at Russian Nats and Euros) when all were coached by Mishin?
    Mishin took on Yagudin and Plushenko when they were both pretty young, and Urmanov was established. For the most part I think Urmanov probably didn't feel that threatened because I doubt he was thinking much beyond 98 and was really always the better skater (who talk is got most of the attention)

Yagudin and Plushenko were both pretty young and unproven, but we know very well that situation blew up as soon as it was clear they were going to be going 1-2 for the forseeable future.

I think it depends on the situation, and some coaches can make it work. But there's a big difference between a top skater having to deal with a young skater whose been training with them for years, getting better (and especially when they are thinking about retiring) and/or a young skater having to deal with the fact that their coach already has a star. Well there's a big difference between that and a skater who was top 4 at the Olympic games, and planning on achieving great results, having to deal with the reigning Olympic champ deciding they want to use their coach.

I think Mirai pretty much has dibs on Frank as far as I'm concerned, and I think that if Yu-na went to skate with Frank, it would have to be only if Mirai was okay with it. As far as I'm concerned if the idea of Mao/Orser made Yu-na upset than she should give the same kind of consideration to Mirai.
    Last edited by bek; 09-07-2010 at 09:53 PM.

vCash
    I can't imagine Yu-Na wanting to train with anyone less "prestigious" than Frank Carroll, and I honestly wouldn't put it past Frank to take her on. He trained Carolina Kostner and Mirai Nagasu at the same time, so why should he start being exclusive to Mirai now? Especially when he is trying to draw skaters to a new rink out in the middle of nowhere? He'll need all the help and publicity he can get! In the meantime, I can't imagine YuNa would mind training in Lake Arrowhead, which is pretty cumbersome to get to, and should give her a little privacy.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Maybe Yu-Na is going to LA because she does not know where to go and is hoping she will be approached by a coach. (Where's Robin Wagner? )

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Urmanov should have moved on by the time Yag and Plushy were mature, but he stayed in for more eligible skating after overachieving in 1994 . . . probably because nobody wanted to sign him for a tour since his skating was not very entertaining in comparison to Petrenko (which is oh so very sad).

Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    As far as I'm concerned if the idea of Mao/Orser made Yu-na upset than she should give the same kind of consideration to Mirai.
    Not likely. That's not how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    I can't imagine Yu-Na wanting to train with anyone less "prestigious" than Frank Carroll, and I honestly wouldn't put it past Frank to take her on.
    I do not think that prospect would be very interesting to Frank. Although I could be wrong since I do not know Frank. However, what's there to teach Yu-Na? Not much . . . maybe fix her layback spin free leg, but he is not exactly an expert on that.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 09-07-2010 at 10:45 PM.

vCash
    (I remember it was an issue when Nagasu moved because Kostner was with Carroll, and the general consensus was they weren't in direct competition because Nagasu was "2nd tier")
    Actually, Kostner moved when Nagasu was already with Carroll.
    And that argument the two skaters were not in direct competition was so short-sighted.

vCash
    Helene Elliott summarizes the press conference earlier today: Olympic figure skating champion Kim Yuna considering L.A. as a training base

vCash
    I can't imagine Yu-Na wanting to train with anyone less "prestigious" than Frank Carroll, and I honestly wouldn't put it past Frank to take her on. He trained Carolina Kostner and Mirai Nagasu at the same time, so why should he start being exclusive to Mirai now? Especially when he is trying to draw skaters to a new rink out in the middle of nowhere? He'll need all the help and publicity he can get! In the meantime, I can't imagine YuNa would mind training in Lake Arrowhead, which is pretty cumbersome to get to, and should give her a little privacy.
    If Yu-na was just into prestigious coaches, wouldn't she have gone to a more prestigous coach in 2006-2007. I mean yes Brian Orser was a World champion and 2 Olympic silver medalist, but he was new coach.

vCash
    The question is, are Frank Carroll and Yuna a good fit? As Orser once said in pre-Olympic interviews, Yuna wants to take control of the situation and likes to have a say in her training, and I am not sure how much Frank Carroll would be up for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amaro View Post
    The question is, are Frank Carroll and Yuna a good fit? As Orser once said in pre-Olympic interviews, Yuna wants to take control of the situation and likes to have a say in her training, and I am not sure how much Frank Carroll would be up for that.
    Basically, it's his way or the highway. Why would he even consider coaching her?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Basically, it's his way or the highway. Why would he even consider coaching her?
    Carroll took Kostner while he was coaching Nagasu. He would certainly give it a thought if he received an offer. But in the end I think Arutunian should be it considering his style of coaching I (think I) know of. Besides, he lives not too far from LA; Yuna seems to like LA a lot with a firm support base from the large Korean community and all.

vCash
    Frank Caroll has so many students now. Didn't Yuna's team want someone who can devote a lot of time to her? I don't think it can work out well with Caroll being even busier than Orser.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Urmanov should have moved on by the time Yag and Plushy were mature, but he stayed in for more eligible skating after overachieving in 1994 . . . probably because nobody wanted to sign him for a tour since his skating was not very entertaining in comparison to Petrenko (which is oh so very sad).
    Wow. Overachieving? Nobody wanted to sign his since he was not very entertaining? I'm sorry you have such a low appreciation for such a great champion, and possibly the finest triple axel ever.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Maybe I'll have to eat the following words someday but I REALLY don't think Frank Carroll is a consideration. I don't think she's going to compete this year so I wouldn't waste time guessing who it´ll be. In a month or so she´ll name someone from Kwans rink as a coach and just coast for a while.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Kim mentions training in LA for a time when she was young. Who did she work with then?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Kim mentions training in LA for a time when she was young. Who did she work with then?
    Summer skating camp. According to her book, she went to her first summer camp in LA when she was 3rd grade. Next year, she went to IceCastle and saw Kwan first time at the restroom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
    Summer skating camp. According to her book, she went to her first summer camp in LA when she was 3rd grade. Next year, she went to IceCastle and saw Kwan first time at the restroom.
    I remember reading that. It was funny how she described it and adorable at the same time. Obviously she was star struck when she saw Michelle.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Wow. Overachieving? Nobody wanted to sign his since he was not very entertaining? I'm sorry you have such a low appreciation for such a great champion, and possibly the finest triple axel ever.
    I agree BittyBug. I've never been a fan of the "overachieving" theories either. I didn't see any shady judging at all when Urmanov won Olympic gold. Alexei easily and deservingly won the SP and I believe he did enough to deserve to win the LP too with the only glaring mistake being a step out of a 3flip. It's not his fault that Stojko singled a 3Axel and lacked his attention to choreography and musicality. It's not his fault that Candeloro fell on a 3Axel and lacked his attention to body line and skating skills. It's not his fault that all the veteran favorites Petrenko, Browning, and Boitano all crumbled in their SPs leaving them buried in the pack in desperation to crawl up in the LP standings. As for the entertainment comment, there have been and are plenty of skaters who get signed on to shows whom I don't find entertaining. One person's treasure is another person's trash I guess. I don't think it's accurate to say that's why a skater didn't get signed to do a show unless you have undeniable evidence to support such a statement. Urmanov may have decided to decline touring in one part of the world so that he could tour closer to home to be with family and friends. Unless you're him, his agent, or someone close to him, you really don't know the true reasons.

vCash
    Kim and Kwan should get along just fine. Two of a kind.

Kim has been criticized (rightly so, IMO) for her treatment of Orser, when she (and/or STS) decided to end the coaching relationship. Similar behaviour has been observed in Kwan.

At a reception a few years ago, one of my was having a conversation at a reception with a well-known coach that knew quite well. Kwan waltzes up and interrupts the conversation *in mid-sentence*. She didn't have the courtesy to wait a few seconds for a pause, or say "excuse me" and enter the conversation. It was as if the person conversing with the coach was invisible, and that she expected the coach (not hers) to immediately pay attention to *Her*. Incredibly rude, and self-entitled behaviour, and absolutely no excuse for it.

Now, there was no media or other people nearby to capture/witness this behaviour. All skaters are gracious when they know they are being observed. But you get insight into someone's true character when the spotlight is "off". [I remember someone posting a few years ago about how gentle and kind Kurt Browning was to a child who had a gift for him when no one else was around.]

When I heard about this, it struck me that all of the "Kween" b.s. had clearly gone to Kwan's head. Let's hope that she has acquired some polish as a result of the diplomacy work she is supposedly doing since then-manners like that won't cut it at an embassy parties. [And yes, Kwan was an *adult* when this occurred and old enough to know better- she was no longer skating competitively.]

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast