Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Yuna Kim moving to LA: UPDATE 10/5 new coach P. Oppegard

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1697224/

At least we know where she'll be training.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    FYI, discussion on this topic started in the "All That Skate LA" show thread last night : http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=74623&page=9

ETA a quote from the AFP newswire article that's posted in the other thread: "However, an [ATS] agency spokeswoman said the East West Ice Palace [in Artesia, California] is only a temporary venue."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-06-2010 at 09:31 PM.

vCash
    Hmm....who's in Southern Cali these days? Frank Carroll!

But if they're only in Aretesia "temporarily," then I guess it's not him.

vCash
    East West is a fantastic rink. I've only been there a few times but I liked skating there!

Awaiting Validation
    vCash

Ya Na Kim moving to LA

Hasn't Frank Carroll moved out near his home in Palm Springs? Actually sounds like she's not sure where she wants to permenantly settle. There's a large Korean population in LA, but it's downtown near the Staple Center...not sure of any coaches/rinks in that location.

vCash
    Oh, yes, Carroll did move his training camp! That means he is still an option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    He is temporarily at Ice Castle. His new rink is not open due to local city bureaucratic hold ups.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by azcalder View Post
    ... There's a large Korean population in LA, but it's downtown near the Staple Center...not sure of any coaches/rinks in that location.
    Actually the Koreatown in the City of LA is formed around the area called Mid-Wilshire district, which is about 5-10 minute drive from LA downtown and the Staples Centre. There’s a rink in West Los Angeles, but AFAIK there’s none in LA downtown or in Koreatown area. But the Los Angeles County and the adjacent Orange County have many other areas that have sizeable Korean and other Asian communities, including Cerritos and Artesia where Michelle's rink is located (only about 20 minute drive from LA downtown). The Pickwick rink in the City of Burbank is about 10-15 minute drive from LA downtown.

vCash
    Interesting. I thought one of the reasons she enjoyed toronto was that she could be anonymous.I wonder how much she will be recognized in LA.

I also wonder if the shorter flight time to S. Korea impacts the decision as well...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    Interesting. I thought one of the reasons she enjoyed toronto was that she could be anonymous.I wonder how much she will be recognized in LA.

I also wonder if the shorter flight time to S. Korea impacts the decision as well...
    She will be more recognized in LA than in Toronto, but it still would be nowhere near the attention she gets in Korea. And for her residence she could choose a suburban area nearby her training venue with less Korean American concentration. She would have easy access to the nearby Korean community for shopping etc. as there are many sizeable Korean communities all over the LA and Orange County, unless she choose a place like Lake Arrowhead which is a long drive from LA.

vCash
    It would be great if ATS LA becomes an annual event, just like Yuna's shows in Korea.

vCash
    maybe the coach is....Danny Kwan

vCash
    Deleted by author.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Karen Kwan has worked as a choreographer and her husband, 1988 Olympic pairs bronze medalist, Peter Oppegard has worked as a coach at the East West Skating Palace in Artesia. Karen is the skating director there too.

vCash

Chinks in the Armor

Kookmin Bank Unsure Over Sponsorship for Kim Yu-na

ADMIN EDIT: Please do not violate copyright laws by copying and pasting entire articles here.

vCash
    Should Rafael Arutunian be Kim’s next coach?

http://www.universalsports.com/blogs...id=491792.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    Should Rafael Arutunian be Kim’s next coach?

http://www.universalsports.com/blogs...id=491792.html
    Not unless she wants to sustain a probable injury or injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I doubt anyone is serious about Carroll being an option, but with Mirai's placement at the Olympics- I would say she an Yuna are going to be in direct competition this quad, and it would be poor form for him to take Yuna on.

I know he's coached multiple elite skaters, but do coaches ever have skaters like that who are realistically aiming for the same podium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I doubt anyone is serious about Carroll being an option, but with Mirai's placement at the Olympics- I would say she an Yuna are going to be in direct competition this quad, and it would be poor form for him to take Yuna on.

I know he's coached multiple elite skaters, but do coaches ever have skaters like that who are realistically aiming for the same podium?
    You mean besides in ice dance or pairs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    You mean besides in ice dance or pairs?
    Well outside of ice dance. I don't follow pairs well enough to know it's common (the two florida pairs being the only I know, and I don't think many people thought it would be so close between them). In Singles, do coaches do this much? (I remember it was an issue when Nagasu moved because Kostner was with Carroll, and the general consensus was they weren't in direct competition because Nagasu was "2nd tier")

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast