Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

coach and choreographer fee's

I was reading in one of the threads about Brian Orser fee

“I’m the lowest paid coach at this level in the history of figure skating...I get $110 an hour"

And made me think

A) I missed that bus ( being a figure skating coach)

B) How much do the other coaches make?

C) what about Choreographer? Johnny Weir has said David Wilson is
    expensive what does he cost?

D) How do Skaters pay for coach and choreography does their country they Skate
    for help pay for this because if you add that up its alot.. I know some have sponsors but that is still alot to come up with...

vCash
    I can only speak for the US, but based on things posted here over the years, it does seem pretty uniform that the elite coaches do charge in the lower $100's per hour. Usfs has some funding options available such as envelope money, memorial fund and other funds that can be awarded. For qualified skaters, this money helps but doesn't put much of a dent in the total expenses. Most skaters work and families and/or supporters help.

vCash
    If the skater is represented by an agency, does the agency get a fee? Or does the agency only get a fee is thay land an endorsement deal or some money making venture? I think Alissa's agency gets her modeling assignments.

Over at GoldenSkate, they were kicking around this theory that when Mrs. Park started her agency, she expected Brian to sign up when his current contract expired. And then she expected him to sign up his higher profile students like Adam and Christina. When he did not do this, it caused friction.
    Pure speculation, but it makes as much sense as any theory I've heard.

vCash
    I think for the top echelon skaters in Russia, training expenses including coaching fee are covered by the federation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Korean federation does not have set criteria in awarding financial assistance and normally lacks enough budget to do so anyway. Last year, KSU awarded Yu-Na about $80,000 US out of whim, but she hardly needed any assistance in that area. KSU could have spent that money to fund promising juniors, just as Kim has been doing out of her own pocket, but they were never known for their foresight.

vCash
    ^ and ^^, so how much is it?

vCash
    How much is what?

vCash
    In the US at least, many coaches have to pay the rink where they work a commission, so there goes part of that money. Then they have to buy their own medical and etc. insurance, so there's that - and that alone in the US is considerable. So that $100 per hour isn't quite as shiny as it seems. They also don't get things like paid time off, paid vacation, paid sick days, so what they make when on the ice needs to cover all that for them.

And coaches at different levels, and in different regions of the US, do charge differently. In the US, though, at the elite east coast rinks, Brian's fee for an elite level coach would be pretty much in the ball park. Some are higher, but many are right in that range. But for an OGM coach, he's sort of the elite of the elite, and he should be able to charge higher, if he wants to. But I'd imagine he doesn't want to. And that's actually kind of nice on his part.

In some foreign countries, coaches aren't paid by the hour/lesson at all. Instead, a skater pays a flat fee each year, which covers everything re: the coaching. So it's more like the coach is on salary/retainer, rather than being paid hourly.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Another thing to consider in the US is that self employment taxes are almost 50% (at least they were for me...) so the "hourly rate" is considerably lower than if a company were paying that.

However, I've found even lower level coaches charge (what I think are) high rates especially because you still have to pay for the ice! - the local coaches at my (mall rink) range from $30-$70 per hour, with a 30 minute lesson being the norm,I think that the $30 rate is completely reasonable, but without students at qualifying competition, $70 seems a bit high...

From what I hear around though it seems the coaches always give breaks to their best students. Or they will carpool with parents or share a hotel room at nationals. They really seem to not want to gouge their students.

Toyota Sports Center posts their instructors rates (and it looks like a 20 minute lesson is the norm) Frank Carrol charges $135/hr.
    http://www.toyotasportscenter.com/pa...nstructor-bios
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 09-02-2010 at 04:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    How much is what?
    Coach and choreographer fee!!!
    , Morozov, Manon Perron, Lori Nichol, Tom Dickson, Sandra Bezic, Shae-Lynn Bourne, etc.

vCash

coaching fees

Here are the published coaching fees for the coaches at the World Arena in Colorado Springs. These are 20-minute lesson rates. Ice sessions are 45 minutes long, so coaches can fit in two 20-minute lessons per session.

http://www.worldarena.com/library/do...nformation.pdf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    Over at GoldenSkate, they were kicking around this theory that when Mrs. Park started her agency, she expected Brian to sign up when his current contract expired. And then she expected him to sign up his higher profile students like Adam and Christina. When he did not do this, it caused friction.
    Pure speculation, but it makes as much sense as any theory I've heard.
    That certainly makes sense. When I first heard of Kim's new agency, I assumed it would be a pocket agency devoted to her, but apparently that wasn't the idea.

From my experience with Asians in general, she might have expected him to sign up without ever bringing up the subject herself and taken his resigning with IMG as a personal affront....

I think that the split was probably caused by a cascade of minor cultural, language missteps and misunderstandings that kept gaining momentum (not helped by not having a qualified interpreter at important junctures).

vCash
    Carolina Costner had said that Nichol takes 10.000$ for each visit in Italy to make her program.

vCash
    Truly, 110/ hour is not that much. I cannot speak for skating fees, but can speak for private music lesson fees for the pros from the top teachers- they run from 100 to 200 American dollars an hour. And considering the fluidity- taxes- cancellations etc- the teachers are certainly not super- rich.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    That certainly makes sense. When I first heard of Kim's new agency, I assumed it would be a pocket agency devoted to her, but apparently that wasn't the idea.

From my experience with Asians in general, she might have expected him to sign up without ever bringing up the subject herself and taken his resigning with IMG as a personal affront....

I think that the split was probably caused by a cascade of minor cultural, language missteps and misunderstandings that kept gaining momentum (not helped by not having a qualified interpreter at important junctures).
    \

It certainly seems so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    it's been widely reported that in addition he takes a significant percentage of the earnings of skaters who are under contract with him

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    Carolina Costner had said that Nichol takes 10.000$ for each visit in Italy to make her program.
    I don't think that's an accurate statement. Have no idea of Nichol's billing but assuming the $10.000 is correct I think that obviously includes flights to Italy, lodging and perhaps a daily expense account for meals. Then add in Nichol's hourly fee for however many hours they work together. And if Nichol did the music search those costs will be added in as well I would think.

So Nichol isn't pocketing $10.000. She is getting whatever she charges per hour and all her travel/accomodations/meals are paid for by the skater/federation/whoever pays the bill.

It'd be more accurate to say she gets $200 an hour (random amount chosen) and that if you want her to come and make the program in your hometown that you have to cover all the travel and accomodation costs of getting her over there.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    I don't think that's an accurate statement. Have no idea of Nichol's billing but assuming the $10.000 is correct I think that obviously includes flights to Italy, lodging and perhaps a daily expense account for meals. Then add in Nichol's hourly fee for however many hours they work together. And if Nichol did the music search those costs will be added in as well I would think.

So Nichol isn't pocketing $10.000. She is getting whatever she charges per hour and all her travel/accomodations/meals are paid for by the skater/federation/whoever pays the bill.

It'd be more accurate to say she gets $200 an hour (random amount chosen) and that if you want her to come and make the program in your hometown that you have to cover all the travel and accomodation costs of getting her over there.
    I can see a program by Nichol being a total of $10K not $10K a visit. I thought I had read that somewhere too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I can see a program by Nichol being a total of $10K not $10K a visit. I thought I had read that somewhere too.
    Frankly I can't see a program by Nichol being worth ten dollars let alone 1$0,000.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    I think for the top echelon skaters in Russia, training expenses including coaching fee are covered by the federation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Korean federation does not have set criteria in awarding financial assistance and normally lacks enough budget to do so anyway. Last year, KSU awarded Yu-Na about $80,000 US out of whim, but she hardly needed any assistance in that area. KSU could have spent that money to fund promising juniors, just as Kim has been doing out of her own pocket, but they were never known for their foresight.
    My understanding is that YuNa's 3 sponsors (KB Bank, Hyundai, Nike Korea) contracted with YuNa but a part of the sponsor money go to KSU. So, actually, KSU receives far more money than it gives to YuNa. And, she gives 30% of her prize money and unknown % of ice show income.

BTW, do skaters of other country also give part of prize money and show income to thier federation? I read that Japanese skaters give some percentage of the show income to JSF, but never read about US and Canada skaters.

vCash
    I wonder how much Mishin gets. They always talk about how poor Plushy's family is and how Mishin had to pay his rent in St. Petersburg.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast