Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    There was a time when it was believed that women who jumped at all were jeopardizing their chances of every having children afterward.

Times change. Bodies change. Equipment changes.
    It hasn't really changed very much since the sport began, and some of the "revolutionary" changes seem to have bitten the dust. The "evolution" blade with the blade continuing up the heel (Mike Weiss used them for a bit) allowing "heel eagles". Or the hinged boot that Alisa Czisny used for a while that has since been discontinued. It's hard to imagine what type of changes could be made to boots to enhance jumps further...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    It hasn't really changed very much since the sport began, and some of the "revolutionary" changes seem to have bitten the dust. The "evolution" blade with the blade continuing up the heel (Mike Weiss used them for a bit) allowing "heel eagles". Or the hinged boot that Alisa Czisny used for a while that has since been discontinued. It's hard to imagine what type of changes could be made to boots to enhance jumps further...
    One of the Swedish ladies has a new type of boot. I think the heel is hollow and the thing that connects the blade to the boot is plastic. She loves them.

vCash
    In discussion with Krew members after the November taping of a Disson Christmas show, Ilia talked at length about his new boots from Edea (Italian skate manufacturer) and how he feels that they may 'revolutionize' (his word exactly) some aspects of skating. Edea's are completely composite (no leather, no wood) and very, very light. Ilia's said that he was excited about them and going back to practicing his 3As. He said that the weight difference really does make a difference to an elite jumper and also said that he thought that with exceptionally light boots (these or something else yet to be developed) the 4A wasn't far from realization by someone. Ilia said "they really make this much <indicating about 3-4" with his fingers> difference in height for me." That's a lot relatively.

My opinion about Artur Jr - someone misstated or misunderstood something. If he had a 4A it would be all over the skating press, big time! I doubt it - he has never been that much of a superior technician (which is what it would take). But it will happen according to IK, somewhere sometime soon by someone.

Edea's are not the perfect boot - he said that they tend to break down too quickly at the top (hence he will, we laughed, continue his habit of reinforcing his boots after lacing with a couple of rounds of duct tape at the top! how low-tech can you get?) but Ilia said that they are really a step forward for jumpers. I believe that Boitano also wears Edea's now. Ilia also said that he still uses his customary blades and they can be attached as they would be to a traditional-materials boot.

Someone at my rink has a pair and let me pick one up - weighs nothing. Amazing. The price of their top level boot is also amazing - $$$! If you want to know more about the boot www.edeaskates.com
    Last edited by Willowway; 03-03-2011 at 07:13 PM.

vCash
    Well, I know that if I look at the skates my mother used before I was born (glove-soft leather and almost knee high), the ones I skated on ponds with 40 years ago (pretty floppy with no support) and the ones I use now (custom Klingbeils that finally FIT), I see some pretty big changes. There's no way the skaters of Sonja Henie's day could have done triple jumps in those flimsy skates, or at least not without a lot of broken ankles along the way.

If you go to the museum in Colorado Springs and look at the displays on the evolution of skates over the centuries, there have been some pretty radical refinements, which have allowed the sport to progress. Just because there haven't been large wholesale changes over the last decade or two, it doesn't mean that nothing will change. Somebody somewhere is probably trying something right now that, years from now, may result in quad axels and quintuple loops becoming as common as triples are now among elite skaters.

But then, I tend to take the long view of the sport. I've seen a lot of changes myself in the 30+ years I've been personally involved; who knows what I'll see in the next 30?
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    In discussion with Krew members after the November taping of a Disson Christmas show, Ilia talked at length about his new boots from Edea (Italian skate manufacturer) and how he feels that they may 'revolutionize' (his word exactly) some aspects of skating. Edea's are completely composite (no leather, no wood) and very, very light. Ilia's said that he was excited about them and going back to practicing his 3As. He said that the weight difference really does make a difference to an elite jumper and also said that he thought that with exceptionallly light boots (these or something else yet to be developed) the 4A wasn't far from realization by someone. Ilia said "they really make this much <indicating about 3-4" with his fingers> difference in height for me." That's a lot relatively.
    I wonder if these are the new boots that Cynthia Pfaneuf is wearing. The Skate Buzz commentators said her new boots were light, like running shoes.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I've seen a couple of skaters with those skates; I remember thinking they were not attractive but they are skates not costumes.

vCash
    If you look at the photo of Ilia on the Krewsite front page, those are Edea boots. On a man, in black and with long pants, they really don't look a great deal different. It may be a little different for women as you tend to see more of the boot itself. The major difference is that the composite surface doesn't have the look of leather - it is what it is. In time we will probably get very accustomed to it.

www.kuliks-krew.com
    Last edited by Willowway; 03-03-2011 at 07:02 PM.

vCash
    If you look at the photo of Ilia on the Krewsite front page, those are Edea boots. On a man, in black and with long pants, they really don't look a great deal different. It may be a little different for women as you tend to see more of the boot itself.

www.kuliks-krew.com
    I think it was heal that made me look more at the boot than I normally do, I think a lot more skaters are wearing them now.

Kiira

vCash
    Ilia's said that he was excited about them and going back to practicing his 3As.
    Is it wrong that amongst all of the technical and important boot stuff, THIS is what I got most excited about? I love Ilia's 3A and would love to see him do it again if he can!

Ilia said "they really make this much <indicating about 3-4" with his fingers> difference in height for me." That's a lot relatively.
    When you consider how much height Ilia gets already, that's HUGE.

Edea's are not the perfect boot - he said that they tend to break down too quickly at the top (hence he will, we laughed, continue his habit of reinforcing his boots after lacing with a couple of rounds of duct tape at the top! how low-tech can you get?) but Ilia said that they are really a step forward for jumpers.
    I love it! Great to know that even the best use trusty old duct/race tape!

They do have a very unusual design, looking at them - it's the curve on the sole to the heel that catches your eye. The drop from the front to the back at the top also seems a bit more dramatic, just comparing them to my Jacksons. I'm not about to invest in a pair - don't have any money, unfortunately - but I'm definitely curious and will keep an eye out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Is it wrong that amongst all of the technical and important boot stuff, THIS is what I got most excited about? I love Ilia's 3A and would love to see him do it again if he can!

Have you seen the video of him doing a triple axel in tennis shoes?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Well, I know that if I look at the skates my mother used before I was born (glove-soft leather and almost knee high), the ones I skated on ponds with 40 years ago (pretty floppy with no support) and the ones I use now (custom Klingbeils that finally FIT), I see some pretty big changes. There's no way the skaters of Sonja Henie's day could have done triple jumps in those flimsy skates, or at least not without a lot of broken ankles along the way.

If you go to the museum in Colorado Springs and look at the displays on the evolution of skates over the centuries, there have been some pretty radical refinements, which have allowed the sport to progress. Just because there haven't been large wholesale changes over the last decade or two, it doesn't mean that nothing will change. Somebody somewhere is probably trying something right now that, years from now, may result in quad axels and quintuple loops becoming as common as triples are now among elite skaters.

But then, I tend to take the long view of the sport. I've seen a lot of changes myself in the 30+ years I've been personally involved; who knows what I'll see in the next 30?
    True enough we can't say what will happen in the future. I guess that I was just thinking on the basis that so may other areas have changed drastically - unrecognisably so in the last 20 years, that with the amount of technology availble to us both in terms of computer analysis, scientific/sports research into training etc, my expectation was - if something could be done to enhance the equipment used in skating I would have thought some steps would have been taken towards that.

I think we've reached a peak of what skaters can achieve with the boots we currently have. Making them stiffer won't make it possible for people to land a full set of quads or start landing quints. Perhaps making boots lighter will help (but that may sacrifice stiffness and therefore ability to land the tougher jumps). I guess i'm just racking my brain trying to think of what might happen in the future, or if we may be stuck with current technology.

Maybe some high tech spring-blade

vCash
    Have you seen the video of him doing a triple axel in tennis shoes?
    A 3A on the floor is near the end of this piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THp7m3E-4AU

For those who are concerned, Ilia's gorgeous 3A hasn't gone anywhere but he won't put it into the rotation of elements he uses in his programs unless he can hit it almost 100% of the time. From what he said it sounds like it's going back into regular practice and use. Now that's great news!!

And this is the one I love the most - a 3A out of a spread eagle - and look at the amplitude on this specific one. First jump in the program from The Japan Open years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOJYWm0fNNg And seeing Liebestraume again can only make anyone's day better even with the 3F fall (he won anyhow).
    Last edited by Willowway; 03-04-2011 at 01:21 PM.

vCash
    I've been in Edea boots for years. Love them more than any boot I've ever worn. Mind you I don't jump that much any more, and no more than a double. I skate about 6 days a week and have had mine since (I think) about 2007.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    I've been in Edea boots for years. Love them more than any boot I've ever worn. Mind you I don't jump that much any more, and no more than a double. I skate about 6 days a week and have had mine since (I think) about 2007.
    Ozzisk8tr have you ever skated in Reidells and if so how would you compare them to the Edea?

vCash
    Ozzie, is it true that the break-in period is down to a minimum? Are they as comfortable (compared to a traditional boot) as promised? I've noticed that they have less expensive models for us mortals and I'm considering them.

Added - Antmanb beat me to it - I think many of us will be interested to hear what you have to say in more detail. I have Reidells at the moment too.

vCash
    Ozzisk8tr have you ever skated in Reidells and if so how would you compare them to the Edea?
    Many many years ago I did, but I can't really remember anything much about them. I've been pretty happy with all the boots I've had, but the Edea's are by far the best ones I've ever had. I loved the fact that my Edea's broke in straight away, and I didn't get one blister. They are still going well, although I'm feeling the need for a new pair. I also really like the fact my current ones are a gun metal grey colour not black. http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoser.../158290213.jpg
    These are the ladies "Fly", they look very cool.
    http://www.edeaskates.com/en/detail....t=25&id_tipo=1
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Ozzie, is it true that the break-in period is down to a minimum? Are they as comfortable (compared to a traditional boot) as promised? I've noticed that they have less expensive models for us mortals and I'm considering them.

Added - Antmanb beat me to it - I think many of us will be interested to hear what you have to say in more detail. I have Reidells at the moment too.
    Promise they are comfortable. I only coach now, but am in them probably about 15 to 20 hours a week. Only after about three hours constantly on my skates do my feet start to hurt a little, and that's because they are flat (my feet that is). Know that I am on roller not ice, and they are easily the most popular boot in the world for roller. I truly swear by them.

vCash
    Thank you. Where were you able to get fitted? There is not (at least that I can find) a list of skate shops that handle them in the US yet.

vCash
    I'm in Australia and we have a rep here who fitted me. I suggest writing to Edea and asking who has them near you. Otherwise contact the artistic roller people and find out if they can help you find someone close to you.

vCash
    Thanks for the info!

They certainly are tempting to try and i will look into them when it is time to replace my current boots. I have to say that in my current Riedells I had practically no break in time and no blisters at all so I have been very please.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast