vCash

IJS jump downgrade symbols

I was looking at some protocals for a local competition. On one skater's protocal, for their jumps they have a < next to the jump, and then the next jump there's a << symbol. What is the difference and why do they have two different symbols now?

vCash
    < now means that the jump was under rotated a little but they still get the base value of the jump with -GOE

<< means the jump was really under rotated and is downgraded. I think it's by half a turn.

vCash
    With the < the skater gets a slightly lower base value than if it was fully rotated.

So if they did a double toeloop which was underrotated, instead of 1.4 which is what they would have got, they then get 1.0. But it won't go down to the single jump value which it would if it was downgraded.

The information about the values of underrotations is in ISU Communication 1611. And it also explains the different between the Underrotations and Downgrades.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    See HisWeirness' summary in this post: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...38&postcount=1
    They [ISU] are introducing three rotation classifications for jumps and throw jumps:

1. Accepted Rotation: missing rotation of 1/4 revolution or less - full base value
    2. Under-rotated: missing rotation of more than 1/4 but less than 1/2 revolutions - gets "<" symbol and 70% of base value of intended jump
    3. Downgraded: missing rotation of 1/2 revolutions or more - gets "<<" symbol and base value for the element of one rotation less (<<3T would get base value of 2T)

vCash
    Thanks everyone! I had an idea that they would stand for different things but wasn't positive.

vCash
    what does the ! stand for again - edge change? I always find that funny, because when I took notes at competitions or tests, I wrote a ! for an exceptionally awesome jump or spin.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    You don't need to remember ! anymore because it's gone from the rules.

The ! used to mean "edge warning" (unclear edge) and did not require mandatory -GOE like e (wrong edge).

As of 2010-11 the ISU has eliminated ! and is only using e.

From ISU Comm. 1611:
    In both Singles and Pairs “Starting from the wrong edge” and “Unclear edge at take-off” in Flip or Lutz jumps will be identified by the Technical Panel to the Judges and in the Protocols with the sign “e”. Each Judge will then decide himself/herself on the severity of the error (major or minor error) and the corresponding GOE reduction.
    The guidelines now state that if the judge feels the edge was unclear they should deduct -1 or -2 in GOE and if the judge feels the edge was wrong the GOE must be negative and the judge should deduct -2 or -3 GOE.
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 09-04-2010 at 11:21 PM.