Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
    My understanding is that YuNa's 3 sponsors (KB Bank, Hyundai, Nike Korea) contracted with YuNa but a part of the sponsor money go to KSU. So, actually, KSU receives far more money than it gives to YuNa. And, she gives 30% of her prize money and unknown % of ice show income.
    True. IMO that's why figure skating officials want to "divorce" KSU and establish Korean figure skating federation, to have all the money to themselves.

BTW, do skaters of other country also give part of prize money and show income to thier federation? I read that Japanese skaters give some percentage of the show income to JSF, but never read about US and Canada skaters.
    I'm not sure individual skaters pay percentage of their appearance fees to respective federation. But AFAIK any show that casts amateur skaters must be sanctioned by local federation, so there could be some form of transaction between the organizer and federation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    Frankly I can't see a program by Nichol being worth ten dollars let alone 1$0,000.
    well I think she's created some of the most brilliant and elegant programs in the history of figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    and that if you want her to come and make the program in your hometown that you have to cover all the travel and accomodation costs of getting her over there.
    Which is probably why all David Wilson's skaters go spend a few weeks in Canada- if you have to pay for all the travel costs, you might as well be the one who gets to travel.

it's been widely reported that in addition he takes a significant percentage of the earnings of skaters who are under contract with him
    (re: Frank Carrol) Ah- that makes sense. I wonder if he would take low level clients at that dollar amount, or if it's just a formality that he has to list something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    (re: Frank Carrol) Ah- that makes sense. I wonder if he would take low level clients at that dollar amount, or if it's just a formality that he has to list something.
    Coaches at Frank's level don't always take low level skaters. But some do - Brian Orser does. But what do you mean by "low level"? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I've heard you have to audition for some coaches not like the high level coaches at the smallish rinks I've been at where if they have the spot and you have the $$ your Pre Alpha princess can take from the coach taking students to Nationals. How would the audition work? I've always wondered.

But I guess when you hit Orser and Carroll's level a juvie skater would be low level right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Coaches at Frank's level don't always take low level skaters. But some do - Brian Orser does. But what do you mean by "low level"? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    I guess my thought was just because he is clearly listed on the "instructor request form". Why would he be listed if he doesn't take students from that form? I just don't see Nagasu going and filling that out. Her "people" talked to him.

Obviously his elite skaters come from generally strong skaters who seek him out, and court him to coach them. But if he doesn't take "unknowns"- why would they even put him on the form for the rink? That's why I'm wondering if it's just a formality. Or maybe he does take pre-pre kids for lessons because they are willing to pay. You can't work with Olympians every moment of the day. And then you send them off to competitions with your "coaching team" and focus most of your effort on the big guys.

vCash
    I feel like Orser doesn't have any low level skaters. I mean, they aren't all Yuna's obviously, but most of his students/past students competed at national and international events.

vCash
    So can someone clarify this for me :

if skater practices say 3 hours on ice is the coach there the whole time and get charged the 3 hours ?

and the coach is usually coaching more than one person at time right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by diskates View Post
    I wonder how much Mishin gets. They always talk about how poor Plushy's family is and how Mishin had to pay his rent in St. Petersburg.
    Mishin took him in his team upon request of Plush's former coach(dont remember name, he has passed away)and trained him for free in his group until he started gaining money from competitions in 1997-1998. Now that he got on the Forbes list, I guess he can pay Mishin back for all these years

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    I don't think that's an accurate statement. Have no idea of Nichol's billing but assuming the $10.000 is correct I think that obviously includes flights to Italy, lodging and perhaps a daily expense account for meals. Then add in Nichol's hourly fee for however many hours they work together. And if Nichol did the music search those costs will be added in as well I would think.
    Sure, there might be additional costs counted in, but it doesn't change that fact, that the skaters still have to pay this amount... Sure, it doesn't all land in the coach's or choreographer's pocket, of course, but the price is there.

If someone asks Carolina how much she pays for her choreo to be made this is (or might be) an accurate answer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Frank apparently does also. I happened to catch Manleywoman's podcast interview with FC on itune, and Frank said he enjoyed teaching all level of skaters.

vCash
    A high level skater would have income from at least 3 sources.
    1) ice shows
    2) prize money
    3) endorsement deals

Likewise, there are 4 parties who might like a cut:
    1) agent
    2) coach
    3) choreographer
    4) federation

I don't know which party gets a cut of what income. Maybe the federation gets a cut of prize money and ice shows. Maybe the coach gets a cut of endorsements and prize money. It also may vary from country to country. Very confusing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allyx82 View Post

if skater practices say 3 hours on ice is the coach there the whole time and get charged the 3 hours ?

It depends on how that coach and that rink tend to run things.

In the US, and I think Canada as well, it's more common for skaters to pay the coach for one-on-one attention in 20- or 30-minute increments (private lessons) and then to practice the rest of the time without direct supervision. The coach may or may not be on the ice at the same time with a different student.

vCash

The fees and how they're paid can be different. If we're talking about elite coaches, then they spend anywhere from 6-10 hours a day at the rink. They might have scheduled time with skaters (skater x gets daily lessons from 2pm-4pm; skater y gets daily 11am-1:30pm) or they spend half a lesson with one skater and then move on to another skater if they have multiple skaters on the ice. Whatever the setup, they charge for the time they actually spend working with a skater. At least that's been my experience in the US.

Keep in mind too, that skaters could work with multiple coaches. While there's a main coach, they could also have a stroking/edge coach, pairs and dance teams sometimes work with spin and lift coaches. They also charge an hourly rate, based on how much time they work with a skater or team.

vCash

This depends on the country, and sometimes, on where the coach is from.

In the US in general, skaters skate their lesson with their coach, and then are expected to practice on their own, without coaching supervision. In Russia, and with many of the Russian coaches based in the US, skaters skate their lesson with their coach, and then are expected to practice on the ice only when their coach is there. During that practice time, the coach is giving lessons to other students, but he's also supervising the practice of all of his skaters who are on the ice.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Poggi View Post
    Sure, there might be additional costs counted in, but it doesn't change that fact, that the skaters still have to pay this amount... Sure, it doesn't all land in the coach's or choreographer's pocket, of course, but the price is there.

If someone asks Carolina how much she pays for her choreo to be made this is (or might be) an accurate answer.
    But in a thread about coach and choreographer fees I think it's misleading to say Nichol takes $10.000 when the reality at least 50% of that total is because **you** choose her to make your program and wanted her to come to Italy to do it. The skater ( or their federation/sponsors ) doesn't *have* to pay that.

I'd rather know what she charged per hour than how much it costs one skater in Europe in total. I think that would paint a more accurate picture of her fees.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I feel like Orser doesn't have any low level skaters. I mean, they aren't all Yuna's obviously, but most of his students/past students competed at national and international events.
    I seem to recall some mention of Orser's adult skater commitments back in 2009 nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I seem to recall some mention of Orser's adult skater commitments back in 2009 nationals.
    Didn't he miss a major event with Yuna because he had told some adults he would take them to skate a canal (I can't think what it's name is- it's famous) before he coached her.

vCash
    i know that orser does at least 1 group class with adult skaters each week.

vCash
    Skittl1321 - Orser didn't accompany Adam Rippon to 2009 U.S. Nationals because he had made a prior commitment to take his group of adult skaters to skate on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. I've heard that Orser does give lessons to lower level skaters even though he can't always travel with them to all of their competitions due to his international skaters' schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    i know that orser does at least 1 group class with adult skaters each week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast