Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Orser is now coaching Abbott?
    OOPS, sorry!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    . . . I don’t know how good a technical coach Orser would make . . .
    Did you ever see Orser skate? His technique was amazing. Heck, there is even footage of him practicing quads on Youtube.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Did you ever see Orser skate? His technique was amazing. Heck, there is even footage of him practicing quads on Youtube.
    Plus, he is famously known as "Mr. Triple Axel" because he was the first skater in history to routinely and consistently perform the jump in competition. He was the first skater in history to ever land the 3Axel at the Olympics in 1984. If not for compulsories, he would have defeated Scott Hamilton at both the 1984 Olympics and Worlds. He became the first skater at the World Championships to land two triple axels in the free skate and three in the same competition in 1987.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    No coach with right mind would sign on 'percentage of earnings' type of deal with unproven student. I imagine most coaches would make less with such deal.
    That is exactly what TT said she did. No contracts, and her earnings go up according to her students' earnings. If that's not a percentage of earnings deal, then what is it? She also said she doesn't charge by the hour, so I think more elite coaches take this approach than the general public is aware of.

vCash
    then I bet she has some sort of base retainer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Plus, he is famously known as "Mr. Triple Axel" because he was the first skater in history to routinely and consistently perform the jump in competition. He was the first skater in history to ever land the 3Axel at the Olympics in 1984. If not for compulsories, he would have defeated Scott Hamilton at both the 1984 Olympics and Worlds. He became the first skater at the World Championships to land two triple axels in the free skate and three in the same competition in 1987.
    lowtherlore seems to be asking (doubting) if Orser was (or will be) a good technical coach, but you two are simply saying he's a good jumper. What an irrelevant answer.. good jumper doesn't automatically mean good coach.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    lowtherlore seems to be asking (doubting) if Orser was (or will be) a good technical coach, but you two are simply saying he's a good jumper. What an irrelevant answer.. good jumper doesn't automatically mean good coach.
    Oh please that's a bit of a stretch. Orser was way more than just a good jumper. As for his coaching skills, everything his top level skaters have put out on the ice since going to Orser would suggest he's got a pretty good idea what he's teaching and how to get the message across.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    lowtherlore doesn't care whether Orser is a good technical coach, it was an irrelevant question. This thread was started for one reason and one reason only.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulmkfan View Post
    That is exactly what TT said she did. No contracts, and her earnings go up according to her students' earnings. If that's not a percentage of earnings deal, then what is it? She also said she doesn't charge by the hour, so I think more elite coaches take this approach than the general public is aware of.
    Moskvina had this arrangement with her pairs, and I'm sure I read that the same was true for Plushenko and Mishin. Mishin received a salary to coach. I'm not sure if Moskvina did when she was in the US.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I think the poster was trying to say that Orser is famous for his technical prowess, and as a coach he's very good at polishing his skater's technical abilities. I believe it was one of the reasons why Ms. Kim originally sought him out to be her coach.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I remember watching Brian Orser's LP at the 84 Olys. I was amazed with his technical and artistic ability. His jumps, spins, and footwork were of impeccable quality. I actually freaked when he landed his triple axels. It just seemed to be so natural with Brian. I just wish I had a VCR back then to tape it.

I was thrilled, however, to find his unforgettable LP on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pGtFu4uMG4

There is no doubt that his coaching career will continue for years to come.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    . . . you two are simply saying he's a good jumper. What an irrelevant answer.. good jumper doesn't automatically mean good coach.
    F for reading comprehension. You can not paste two statements from two different authors together and conclude the two authors meant the same thing.

I do not discount museksk8r statement, particularly since it was a response to my statement of which I agree, but it was not something I would have said or I would have said it.

.. good jumper doesn't automatically mean good coach.
    Well, there is a much better chance than a crappy jumper being a good "technical" coach.

However, I could go on a pretentious rant about the wonderful examples of good coaching that Orser indubitabily had while at Mariposa Skating School, including with Doug Leigh, as well as while working with Petra Burka, etc, etc.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 09-04-2010 at 08:45 AM.

vCash
    May Brian have many years of great success in coaching his students. Adam Rippon and Christina Gao are so fortunate to work with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    May Brian have many years of great success in coaching his students. Adam Rippon and Christina Gao are so fortunate to work with him.
    I second those good wishes for Brian's career, and I do think this is Adam's year. Christina could surprise me early, but I see a bright future for her also. There will be many more Orser students standing on podiums in years to come. Go Brian.

vCash
    I think we all know this is all downhill for Brian from now on. I hope he can perhaps get a judging gig on Battle of the Blades.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I think we all know this is all downhill for Brian from now on. I hope he can perhaps get a judging gig on Battle of the Blades.
    You are being facetious, right???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by withrespect View Post
    .. I must make mention that the idea of Brian needing/wanting money re: Yu na is ridiculous. Brian was a self made millionaire LONG BEFORE Yu na .
    Contrary to your take on the thing, pursuing more business and being rich are very much correlated (it’s not bad and not to be blamed either), unless the guy is counting his days or suddenly turn to zen or monkhood.

vCash
    Where did I say that Orser was not a great skater or he would not be a good coach? As to honing athletes to be champions, so far he has only one case in Yu-Na. I don’t mean to understate whatever contributions he made for Yu-Na’s success, but I have reasons to doubt he actually contributed much to the technical side of her skating. But as I said in my earlier post, it would be unfair to judge him solely based on that, since Yu-Na was already a wunderkind before Orser and she had been often plagued by injuries in the early part of her senior career. No doubt he has tools to be a good coach, as he was a great skater. But it remains to be seen if he has other qualities to be a good coach. A great athlete does not necessarily make a great manager or a leader. A season or two more with Gao and Rippon will give a better picture. I want to see Rippon stabilize his second 3-axel this season.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 09-04-2010 at 06:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Not to mention utterly annoying....
    What is it exactly that annoys you. Don’t be too serious, and join in building a perspective on what has transpired. Information is always good, and enjoy a little intellectual exercise.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast