Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    He will make Rippon the World Champion
    From your fingers to God's brain. I dare not articulate anything of the sort. I'm superstitious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    From your fingers to God's brain. I dare not articulate anything of the sort. I'm superstitious.

I don't want to tempt the skating gods either, but I would love to see this happen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I doubt that Orser will be dumped. From what I've read and heard, he isn't that naive. I wouldn't be surprised if he had secured a deal where he would get considerable political support for his pupils as well as receive 30% of his their income like he told the media.
    Political support? Isn't that one of the main complaints about figure skating?

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    As long as Jeremy Abbott gets there first.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Nothing against that, either. And sorry all you who believe in skating Gods. I just don´t, so I´ll say what I hope to happen. No offence to you, but feel free to me.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash

vCash
    Rippon and Gao medaling at Worlds THIS SEASON

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if he had secured a deal where he would get considerable political support for his pupils as well as receive 30% of his their income like he told the media.
    I think *any* coach being able to strike this sort of political "deal" - or at least making it stick over the long term - is highly unlikely.

And I don't recall him saying that he had struck this sort of % deal with his current students. IIRC what he said was that it was common for coaches to get a % of their students' overall earnings, and that he did not have that kind of deal with Team Yu-Na. He didn't say he had that sort of deal with all his students except for her.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    No coach with right mind would sign on 'percentage of earnings' type of deal with unproven student. I imagine most coaches would make less with such deal.

vCash
    The deal that was being discussed here, was in comparing Brian's straight hourly rate to the ( greater) hourly rate Plus a percentage of earnings charged by many top coaches.
    Not either / or.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    What are your thoughts on what’s next for Orser?
    Hoping that Yu-Na bombers will move on?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Which many top coaches? How many skaters can pay their coaches a percentage of their earnings plus hourly rates and still afford to cover other expenses?

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    Which many top coaches? How many skaters can pay their coaches a percentage of their earnings plus hourly rates and still afford to cover other expenses?
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC Frank Carroll used to have this arrangement with most of his top skaters. By "top" I mean world/Olympic level. And if he is doing it I wouldn't be surprised if it is standard practice with other top coaches.

In general, and again someone correct me if need be, I believe that the argument for taking a percentage of the skater's earnings is that beyond the day to day tasks of lessons, choreography, competition, etc., that the coach has a fixed price for, the coach has helped the skater develop the reputation/skills to be earning money in shows and in whatever else they do. So the coach should be compensated for that contribution.

(Don't flame/neg rep me if you disagree with this. I'm just the messenger....)
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Hopefully, Abbott and Rippon will be two of many champions he will coach!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Hopefully, Abbott and Rippon will be two of many champions he will coach!
    Orser is now coaching Abbott?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC Frank Carroll used to have this arrangement with most of his top skaters. By "top" I mean world/Olympic level. And if he is doing it I wouldn't be surprised if it is standard practice with other top coaches.

In general, and again someone correct me if need be, I believe that the argument for taking a percentage of the skater's earnings is that beyond the day to day tasks of lessons, choreography, competition, etc., that the coach has a fixed price for, the coach has helped the skater develop the reputation/skills to be earning money in shows and in whatever else they do. So the coach should be compensated for that contribution.

(Don't flame/neg rep me if you disagree with this. I'm just the messenger....)
    But isn't developing skills part of daily tasks?
    I understand the rationale is perfectly legit, but I think it should apply only if the coach in question made any form of initial investment on the skater. For instance, if a coach gives a promising student with tight budget a discount, he/she should have legitimate claim on future earnings. I can see Frank striking such deal with young Kwan or Nagasu.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I will die of happiness if/when this happens.

A WC for Rippon in the future would also make me very happy.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Orser is now coaching Abbott?
    No, Jeremy is still based in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan and training under Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    No, Jeremy is still based in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan and training under Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen.
    Thanks -- that's certainly what I understood, but I thought that perhaps I had somehow missed reading about what would have been a major change.

vCash
    "I don’t know how good a technical coach Orser would make,"

a fantastic technical coach. It would be hard pressed to find another coach who had fabulous technique as a skater (very narrow field there), Olympic competative experience and is already a well respected, well known and a millionaire. All those things...just like a winner in skating...are hard to find in one package.

Brian will be just fine.

I must make mention that the idea of Brian needing/wanting money re: Yu na is ridiculous. Brian was a self made millionaire LONG BEFORE Yu na .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast