Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    Brian's SP is awesome!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Watching FS now and why did he go to Wilson?

Back to the same crap. Stroking three times around the rink into first three jumping passes, etc.

Zzzzzzz...

And his moves seem awkward, he's not made for classical music! He needs something "big."

Awful awful empty program.
    Don't worry, after Brian listens to the Inception original soundtrack he'll change his LP a month before worlds

I think Mens is shaping-up to be the most interesting of the disciplines for me this year, Joubie's efforts in the new SP are great.
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    mia joy - Yes I understand that if your first free jumps are 4t/3t, 3a and 4s, there is not exactly room for lots of choreography or transitions.

But there's still things you can do. Stroking to the beat, little touches like head/arm/back movements, etc. So that it looks better than just crossovers/progressives into the jumps.

That total lack of attention to detail is what pisses me off most with Joubert. Because he pretty much has everything else - the skating skills, the speed and even his posture is quite decent.

And in the SP, Najarro made him pay more attention to detail and put a lot of choreography in the program. Even before and in-between preparations for the big jumps.

I guess with the FS, stamina is much more of an issue, so Joubert is keeping it much simpler.

Or it's just David Wilson's choreo being dull and lackluster.

Or maybe the choreo was much richer originally but Brian took most of it out already.

Oh well, I have to say I am somewhat dissapointed.

I can see progress with the SP (even if the program doesn't look ready yet and the fact Brian is struggling to keep up with the music might mean a lot of the choreo goes out before Euros :/) but the FS looks very much "same old, same old."

Of course, it was his first competition, both programs might look much better a few months down the line (unless he takes all the choreo out ;D).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmsis View Post
    Masters 2010
    Joubert SP
    Watching this program, it is impressive how Brian doesn't let mistakes throw him off. He just keeps going where he left off. The program seemed very confident, athletic and masculine. In a major competition, a short like this says, "You can give me the gold now, or you can give it to me later." There were a few unusual spins.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    I finally had the chance to watch both programs, and I actually quite like both of them.

My take on the LP is that it just doesn't have enough miles on it yet. I'm thinking and hoping that, with time and practice, it's just going to keep getting better and better. On top of that, the video seemed a little fast to me, so I'm also wondering if maybe it looked better and seemed more finished in person.

vCash
    I have only seen the SP but I was pleased that he didn't do the previous type of cheap gimmicky crap he has done in the past. It did have a theme and he stuck to it. There was a bit too much choreography done standing on the spot, but I really liked his circular steps - some very nice edges shown there. I agree with PB that he didn't let mistakes get in the way of an overall good performance.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    And his moves seem awkward, he's not made for classical music! He needs something "big."
    There's not much music that's "bigger" than Beethoven's Ninth.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmsis View Post
    Masters 2010
    Joubert SP
    Thank you for the video Nmsis Ole! Allez Brian

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    BRAVO BRIAN! I'm impressed that he's finally addressing his weaknesses and making an attempt to include transitions in his programs. I love his music choices and his new style of movement. I think these are the best programs he's ever had and I'm cheering for him this season! I'm very interested to see how he progresses as the season goes on.

vCash
    I just love him haha hope he's gonna do great next season!

vCash
    WOW, Joubert's SP is awesome by his standards. Best program he's ever had IMO. Still far too much two-foot skating for my liking but for once he at least looks committed to the choreography and has some detail in a program.

Quadless
    vCash

Post Article: Joubert's Passion for Skating is Back

From IceNetwork:

Also, it is much easier skating in Poitiers now. For years, I did not train with Véronique, yet she was there all the time, as she was teaching at the rink. We did not exchange a word for several years, and it was so tense. Now I do not need to put any energy there, and I can devote it completely to skating instead.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    There's not much music that's "bigger" than Beethoven's Ninth.
    Mozart-Modern (l'assasymphonie) seems to fit him. But i doubt Beethoven (or you) would grade that as 'bigger' .

vCash
    SP is probably Joubert's best yet. He gets HUGE props from me for being willing to adapt and improve his musicality and artistry and not just expect the quad to win it for him.

FP still needs some work but it's a good start, especially compared to his FPs the last couple years. Hopefully he sticks with it and puts in the time and work to improve it and maximize his points. COMBOS! Get those double-toes and loops in there!

I wish him the best this coming season- he's a true competitor and it's great to see him bounce back after the disappointment the Olympics must have been (twice).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I kind of like the young Brian....liked this program and a regular costume..Heck he even did a spread eagle and a shaky spiral..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSVzer72xqw

Brian Joubert in a tasteful costume? With a spread eagle and a spiral?

I'm suffering from cognitive dissonance. Experience tells us that what we see in that video isn't possible in the real world. I'm going to have to lie down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    WOW, Joubert's SP is awesome by his standards. Best program he's ever had IMO. Still far too much two-foot skating for my liking but for once he at least looks committed to the choreography and has some detail in a program.
    Definitely a great program compared to his past programs. But I agree with you. There was a lot of hand/arm choreography done while he was skating on two feet or standing in one place. But he actually looked like he was performing.
    It has nothing on Abbott's SP though.

vCash
    Love the short and the long has potential. After how many years of FSU fan whining (!?) it finally appears Brian has gotten out of his overused musical box.

vCash
    Is there a link to the LP somewhere in this thread? I can't seem to locate it...or maybe I'm just lazy xp

having a nice day
    vCash
    I dunno either so here's a link to the LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2kvY...eature=related

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    I dunno either so here's a link to the LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2kvY...eature=related
    Hmm, he definitely needs to get more into the music. I love Brian to death, but I was kind of bored until the straight-line sequence. It absolutely has potential though, and I like that he's trying something a little different.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast