Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Wait, so Brian is supposed to be like the prostitute of figure skating? Detested by the aristocracy of skating fans, but since his looks and Neanderthal skating style can draw in the simple uneducated commoners, he is tolerated as a necessary evil? Ah well, at least his life has a purpose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Diasuke is metrosexual

Quite an affront to metrosexual men...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    Quite an affront to metrosexual men...
    Ok then...a metrosexual who spent too much time in Chernobyl....

vCash
    Look at skaters like Candeloro. The man is hideous and can butcher technique like only the French can, but he took his shirt off and was a confident performer. Audiences all over the world tripped over themselves to watch him. Again, part of the 90s surge in popularity.
    Yeah but aside from the Ewww factor that Candeloro sometimes generated (for stripping on ice), and regardless of his technique or lack of it, he probably did one of the best conceptually and most entertaining programs with his D'Artagnan. That straightline step sequence was fabulous. Great program.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    Ah well, at least his life has a purpose.
    ...and that is to make squeal with glee.

(and he's pretty easy on the eyes, so I don't mind seeing him hip thrust and run-in-place on my screen as long as he and/or DG wishes )

vCash
    Wait, so Brian is supposed to be like the prostitute of figure skating? Detested by the aristocracy of skating fans, but since his looks and Neanderthal skating style can draw in the simple uneducated commoners, he is tolerated as a necessary evil? Ah well, at least his life has a purpose.
    Yes, but only if you want the sport to remain financially viable as a sport over the long term. If you're ok with it slowly eroding in popularity (both spectator and participatant) then yeah, I get your drift.

Oh and when you refer to the 'aristocracy of skating fans', I assume you're aware we are the vocal minority....so our importance to the overall long term well being of the sport is perhaps less than we think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Yeah but aside from the Ewww factor that Candeloro sometimes generated (for stripping on ice), and regardless of his technique or lack of it, he probably did one of the best conceptually and most entertaining programs with his D'Artagnan. That straightline step sequence was fabulous. Great program.
    Exactly.

Brian's much cuter so he doesn't have to work as hard to gain a following. Mug for the audience, sway the hips, pick catchy music, make sure all audience members get a good look at what's in the trunk...

...and then maybe leak a video on youtube of him working out in his skimpy underwear....

Easy-peezy

vCash
    If memory serves, fans got a lot more than BJ in his skivvies a while back though not on video. I guess he thought nothing but socks was good for the state of skating, huh? Well, it probably didn't hurt given what fans are looking for these days from almost any celebrity in any area (athletes included).

Of course I think skating could use a few more Ilia's and some eligible versions would be nice - wonderful skating, fabulous looking, very male but keeps most of his clothes on. My kind of skater.
    Last edited by Willowway; 09-02-2010 at 03:16 AM.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    This is one of those threads I hope skaters never open.

:disgusted:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I didn't like Candeloro as a skater, but yeah, I have to admit I liked that program.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash

Bless, that was the best post I've read in a while. Thanks for entertaining an "uneducated commoner".

vCash
    I liked Candeloro´s D´Artagnan very much, a beautiful programme with great music, but his footwork was just showy and nothing more.... I remember the British Eurosport commentators mentioning something like: " And now he is doing what he calls footwork", ROTFL.

I also loved Candeloro´s "Goodfather" programmes in 1994 Olympics.

vCash
    I was never Joubert fan and then I saw him live in his sp at Euros and he deserves every single wow from audience, his speed and command were up to his myth plus effortless set up for his junmps. And he woke me up. He was also a fantatsic crowd darling in KOI.

i splited my café, you rock!

vCash
    People may like or dislike Brian's style (and he has one at least), but when you see him live, which is really important to evaluate the sakting level and not through TV, you have to admit that he is a very very good skater.
    He has command on the ice, charisma, class, speed, looks effortless. So, he really deserves to be a higlight in a show. And for once, this is not the external input of a choreographer, a music or a costum that participates in his showing, only his skating.
    This is quite a great and interesting thing for a skater, isn't it ?

vCash
    For the sake of the sport you need a diverse group of male skaters if you ever want to build an audience and pull more of the general public in, both male and female.
    A lot of people here don't care about the sport. On forums there are also posters who criticize skaters for personal reasons (nothing to do with their skating ) so there is no point to argue with everybody who says X should retire or explain them why it's better to have diverse skaters with different styles.

vCash
    Wait, so Brian is supposed to be like the prostitute of figure skating? Detested by the aristocracy of skating fans, but since his looks and Neanderthal skating style can draw in the simple uneducated commoners, he is tolerated as a necessary evil?
    gah, I really wish I belonged to that aristocracy of skating fans, but I guess the fact I enjoy watching him skate rules me out of it

but seriously, never though I'd reach a point where a World Champion in any discipline would be called a necessary evil...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    but seriously, never though I'd reach a point where a World Champion in any discipline would be called a necessary evil...

They have called him prostitute. Do you believe that to call " necessary evil" is worse?

vCash
    Originally Posted by mia joy
    I think it's obvious that the reply by Gil-Galad was intended to be funny. At least that was what I got out of it. I'm pretty neutral on Brian, he has his good points and bad points. He's not the consummate artistic skater but he definitely fulfills a niche in figure skating, can't hate him for that.

BTW, didn't you also rag on Lambiel recently, calling him a "ballerina" as a dig on his balletic skating style? I didn't see anyone make a big stink about it then. Why do you make such a big deal about it when it's your favorite skater being made fun of?

vCash
    Over the years, I've enjoyed watching Brian jump, but everything in between was always so much chaff to me. ( or downright cringe-worthy or annoying , like running on the spot, pelvic contortions, mesh costumes, etc.).. Then you'd always hear stories of him going to this one or that one for help with footwork ( e.g. Kurt ), or whatever ..but it never really showed on the Ice. It seemed to be just talk and I began to wish he'd go away..
    But last year he actually showed some sign of trying in the work he did with D/S..but of course ,with the injury ..and blowout , it was not to be. I feel I want to give him one more chance, though..I think there may be signs that he's really serious about making some changes. The exhibition number he did in Yuna's show was refreshing, and more skaterly than anything I've seen from him to date..with only minimal pelvic action. If he can carry that through to his competitive programs.. I might be won over.
    Last edited by Pratfall; 09-02-2010 at 06:42 PM.

vCash
    Sorry, Pratfall the two programs of exhibition that he did in the yu- na´s show in Korea are old so perhaps they seem you refreshing because perhaps you have given him an opportunity to these programs without preconceived ideas

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast