Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Why am I not surprised that the men are working together while the women are engaging in petty cat fights?

I think some of it is the bias in the article to make it look like a cat fight. Really, the first article actually stated:

Salinas clawed back at her rival, refusing to address Valenzuela by name.

"This woman has no legitimacy," she hissed.

vCash
    Reports are now saying that the men are creating some drama themselves, beyond the naturally dramatic situation and events. They sent back a customized board game because it contained spelling errors, and some have sent back food they didn't like They have refused orders to stop driving mining vehicles underground and have raised their demands for cigarettes and alcohol, which rescue workers have repeatedly shot down. They have also cursed out rescue workers. No doubt they are showing some major emotional cracks, as would be expected.

Interestingly, this is progressing almost exactly as NASA and the Chilean Navy had predicted. They found that groups on long isolated expeditions (space or submarine) tend to take out their anger on mission control. On one NASA expedition, the astronauts even cut the communication link, refusing to speak to mission control.

It's not the worst sign because a) it shows they are feeling physically okay and have the "luxury" of rejecting food and b) it's better for them to turn their frustration toward the rescue workers than toward each other. It must make the rescue workers feel like crap though and of course it's a sign that the miners have reached their limits and may take it out on each other soon.

I hope their leader has a cool head and prevents this from taking over their morale. It's so hard for everyone

vCash
    I just hope all of them can stay healthy until the rescuers can get to them. It would be terrible, terrible if one of them became ill and nothing could be done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choupette View Post
    I just hope all of them can stay healthy until the rescuers can get to them. It would be terrible, terrible if one of them became ill and nothing could be done.
    Talk about smokers vs. non-smokers' rights: They first tried the patch and gum...but apparently...nothing like a good smoke.

Cigarettes sent to Miners

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Talk about smokers vs. non-smokers' rights: They first tried the patch and gum...but apparently...nothing like a good smoke.

Cigarettes sent to Miners
    These miners are in a psychologically and physically dangerous situation. For some smokers Nicotine Replacement Therapy doesn't really do the trick and commitment, a lot of effort and/or therapy may be necessary for it to work effectively - I say this a smoker who is familiar with NRT.

There is a chance that the smokers could flip out and perhaps become aggressive/violent.

These men don't even know that they are going to get out of this alive, so making an huge issue out of smokers versus non-smokers rights might not go over well.

The goal is just to get them through the hours and days and the men are going to have to make all sorts of compromises to get through this experience intact.

And since the space is quite large, the smokers are at least able to put distance between themselves and the non-smokers.

vCash
    The drill that had gotten the furthest down broke, and they haven't been able to get all the pieces out. They will try one more time to get all the pieces out, but if they can't, then they will either have to give up on that drill or start a new hole from scratch

The other drill is chugging along, but it goes more slowly, and it's been periodically out of order for anywhere from a few hours to two days due to malfunctions. No major setbacks like the other hole, fingers crossed. At the beginning, they had to stop every few inches to reinforce the sides. Not sure if they still do, as they've entered a different layer of rock. A third drill is being set up, but it will take at least another week because the platform is the size of a football field.

They are still on schedule to get out by Christmas, as officials had been saying, but maybe not long before that, as had been hoped

The good news is that they sent a big power line down along with full spectrum light bulbs. But it's still not the same as real sunlight. In fact, they are hoisting them up at night because the daylight may harm their eyes.

By the way, I read that not only is the temperature around 90F (30C), but the humidity is 90%!!

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    These men don't even know that they are going to get out of this alive, so making an huge issue out of smokers versus non-smokers rights might not go over well.

The goal is just to get them through the hours and days and the men are going to have to make all sorts of compromises to get through this experience intact.

And since the space is quite large, the smokers are at least able to put distance between themselves and the non-smokers.
    Sorry, if I were one of the non-smoking miners, I'd sure be pissed to be in the dark in 90 degree heat, 90% humidity with guys lighting up. The space is quite large, but all men move through all the spaces. They have a space for eating, a space for watching movies, a space for sleeping, etc. They have a set schedule and move in groups--they eat together, sleep together, etc. There's no way for the non-smokers to avoid the smokers. If their leader is a non-smoker, I hope he designates the toilet area as the only place for smoking.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 09-14-2010 at 07:21 PM.

vCash
    Just shoot me now!! Though am an obedient social pariah and would accept being consigned to the toilet area. And I'd accept some sedatives as well.

Keep the reports coming Gazpacho, I'm really interested in this story.

vCash
    The drill has been fixed!

Wow, this is going to make one hell of a movie--a genre-defying saga. It's more than a horror, suspense, or inspiration movie. There are marriage proposals, exposed infidelity, family feuds, and a birth story! One of the miners' wives gave birth today, and they videotaped the delivery to send it down. They named the girl Esperanza, Spanish for "hope"

Praying that the real-life movie has a happy ending!

vCash
    I just watched a video about the miners - the bad news is that the mine will not be able to pay them and is likely to go bankrupt.

vCash
    I just watched a video about the miners - the bad news is that the mine will not be able to pay them and is likely to go bankrupt.
    Yeah, the mine is claiming bankruptcy. Anyone know what the Chilean laws are in such a situation?

The 33 miners will be very wealthy in the end from the movies, books, public appearances, etc. And they have been inundated with employment offers after they get out. The financial victims will be their co-workers who aren't in the mine but are unemployed as a result of the tragedy

vCash
    Agree that this would make a fascinating movie. It is a gripping story and I see a movie being made that replicates the situation and deals with various details: how they are coping given that may not get out of alive. NASA has helped and the commuincations system has helped.

And given that this type of rescue is unprecedented and some procedures are going to not work, it's a risky operation - thankfully overseen by experts. There efforts should be part of the film' focus, as should the meeting of the women - Due to strict divorce laws in Chile some man have lovers and wives they can't divorce. Apparently one man had a lover, a wife and an ex-wife. (There meetings are not pleasant. particularly because decisions have to be made as who gets the money available to the victims' partners and families.

And ya, they are going to be in demand for talk shows when they get out - maybe even a book deal. So they won't do so shabbily - but again, they need to get out first before any of that to happen.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 09-15-2010 at 10:26 AM.

vCash
    The financial victims will be their co-workers who aren't in the mine but are unemployed as a result of the tragedy
    Possibly the trapper miners will share their earnings from the situation with other miners - they are being denied a wage at the moment because they can't work, so sharing would be the right thing to do.

vCash
    Agree that this would make a fascinating movie. It is a gripping story and I see a movie being made that replicates the situation and deals with various details: how they are coping given that may not get out of alive. NASA has helped and the commuincations system has helped.

And given that this type of rescue is unprecedented and some procedures are going to not work, it's a risky operation - thankfully overseen by experts.
    Barring a major unexpected turn of events, the miners will get out alive. I haven't heard anyone doubt that. The question is when and how they will cope afterward. People wouldn't (and shouldn't) be talking about things like exposed love affairs if the miners' survival was in question.

Possibly the trapper miners will share their earnings from the situation with other miners - they are being denied a wage at the moment because they can't work, so sharing would be the right thing to do.
    That's not really feasible because the company probably employs hundreds if not thousands. Chile's economy depends on mining. Some of them have to mine for a living--no other jobs. Hopefully this event will ensure that when they return to the mines--not the miners underground but their co-workers--conditions will be much safer. The miners are trapped only because the company didn't provide a safety ladder and chute mandated by law

vCash
    One of the miners just got himself a brand new baby girl named Esperanza meaning hope. Congratulations to both parents.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    a birth story! One of the miners' wives gave birth today, and they videotaped the delivery to send it down. They named the girl Esperanza, Spanish for "hope"
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    One of the miners just got himself a brand new baby girl named Esperanza meaning hope. Congratulations to both parents.
    I read that each parent came up with the name independently. Love that!

vCash
    More good news! Not only has the broken drill been fixed, but it has finished the first stage! The hole is now 12 inches wide. A new drill head will be used to widen it, eventually making it big enough for the men to fit. If there are problems, which is perfectly reasonable, the slower drilling method is chugging along as expected and is on schedule to get them out by Christmas. A third drill should be running in the next few days.

The rescue workers have all their bases covered--a drill that is slow but has an extremely good chance of reaching them eventually, a faster but less reliable method, and third potentially very fast but completely experimental method.

The rescue basket has also been designed. Hopefully the construction process goes well so they have plenty of time to test it. An unsafe rescue capsule would be the absolute worst ending! And hopefully the men will all be able to fit in. Based on the most recent video, I'm not sure a couple of the men could fit. They have been assigned remote personal trainers, but officials haven't yet put them on reduced diets to avoid conflicts with other miners.

This video has a good overview of what has happened since they were found--personal interest stories and all. It doesn't provide much information on what happened before they were found, which you can read about here and here.

Barring a major unexpected tragedy, even if they have to settle for the slowest method (getting out around Christmas), Chile will have written the book on how to conduct a rescue operation, and the miners will have written the book on how to work together to survive.

vCash
    Some good news. The rescuers are getting very close!
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/am...miners/?hpt=T2

vCash
    What do their current quarters look like? Is there a diagram or mockup so one could get an idea of what daily life is like for them until rescue??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    What do their current quarters look like? Is there a diagram or mockup so one could get an idea of what daily life is like for them until rescue??
    There are very detailed ones on the Chilean websites, but these are some good English ones.

Daily routine --probably has changed now that the rescue is close

Diagram of living quarters

There have also been several videos that have been shot with a small camcorder they sent down. One was of them singing the national anthem during the bicentennial, another showed their reaction as the first part of the drilling finished, and a recent one showed them clearing some of the rock debris.

Supposedly some of the family members have sent their men camcorders to record footage that the relatives hope to sell

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    For some reason I imagined them being trapped in a very very small space. Glad to know it hasn't been that bad, not to say it has been easy.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast