vCash

Transitions/moves into jumps

Hi all,

I'm not great with the code, so am hoping someone who is might be able to give me a little help.

I'm looking to connect my Ina Bauer to my flip, but I have a leading foot problem so need to know if it's still worth doing.

I Ina Bauer with my left foot infront, but would need to then step onto my right foot to 3 turn into my flip as I'm a CW jumper. I imagine the idea is to not to have to take the step inbetween, but that's just how I'm made! Is it still worth doing do you think?

Can any one point me in the general direction to learn about transitions and values please? I have a falling leaf to inside 3 to back outside double twizzle, but then step into the 3 turn for my next jump. Does the step cancel out all the good work?

I need to get my head around all this

vCash
    Transitions are the stuff inbetween the jumps. Even if you don't do it directly into the jump, at least putting them in and showing a bit of variety should get a better mark than if you didn't do them at all.

From a judging perspective, I do give credit for skaters who at least give them a go. If they are done well then they get a better mark.

Go to the ISU website and there is quite a bit of information about program components on the figure skating part of the website. www.isu.org.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I would think you are fine doing the ina bauer and then quickly going upright on both feet, but immediately going into the flip.

Another thing I was thinking to do to add more transitional steps, and to "cover" up your change of feet would be to the ina bauer, then as you glide back into an upright position on your left foot, do a series of 3-turns, going back to forward on the left foot, then switch over to get in position to do the flip from your normal take-off...or IMO to make the transition more fluid, do it from a mohawk take-off.

Hopefully you know what I mean, or can envision the movement :-) I'm thinking of the bauer plus some extra steps that will lead you into the jump. I'm a CCW skater, and sometimes I'll do a back outside 3 turn on my right foot, then immediately turn forward and switch feet into the double flip take-off.

BTW, do skaters get + GOE for doing the flip from a mohawk? I'd think the entrance is more difficult so it would be work extra GOE if properly executed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scootie12 View Post
    BTW, do skaters get + GOE for doing the flip from a mohawk? I'd think the entrance is more difficult so it would be work extra GOE if properly executed.
    For my mind it could add to the GOE if it looked like the jump was coming of nowhere or immediately off steps. But just doing a mohawk into the flip, for the sake of doing a mohawk into a flip, doesn't necessarily add to the GOE.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Not sure what CoP says, but I believe the entrance is actually more difficult from a 3-turn - at least a 3-turn done correctly. A coach I know went to a Professional Skaters Assn. seminar a few years ago where the seminar leader said to teach kids the flip from a mohawk entry rather than the 3-turn, because with the decline of figures, kids generally can't do a 3-turn cleanly or well enough to do a flip from it
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    That's pretty sad not being able to do a clean 3-turn because of lack of good technique that was taught from figures. Part of my warm-up each morning I skate is to do the paragraph loop figure down the length of the ice. I switch feet to get a deep edge on both sides. I'm fortunate enough to be part of the era that practiced some figures, although I hated them at the time.

To be honest, I'm actually shocked students today haven't a clue what figures are. I nearly got upset with one of my coach's student that asked me what I meant when I said "figures." She's about 14 years old. I was like "um, FIGURE skating....there's a reason we call it by that name" lol.

vCash
    Most kids today wouldn't know what figures are because they have never had to do them. So it is not surprising and I probably wouldn't expect them to know.

However I did have an international judge explain to me because skaters these days don't do figures, that is one reason why the end up flutzing. Because they don't have the understanding of that back outside edge and the body positioning required to do it. Which I think comes from practising counters.

vCash
    Thanks all for the tips

It sounds like I'm better off putting something in than nothing. When I watch international competitions I've noticed there are a lot of transitions, in the lead up to jumps, but not necessarily directly preceeding them. The other option of course is to learn to Ina Bauer on the other foot!

vCash
    I'd say that putting in an Ina Bauer even if it's not directly connected to the jump will help the Variety, Difficulty, and Quality criteria on the Transitions score. If it goes well with the music or looks especially attractive, it could also help the next three components.

If it's connected directly to the jump, then it will also help the Intricacy criterion for Transitions and could also bump up the GOE on the jump.

vCash

To be honest, I'm actually shocked students today haven't a clue what figures are.
    They will (at least in the U.S.). Starting today, there will be a 'figure' in Pre-Pre (waltz 8), Preliminary (FO & FI figure 8), and Pre-juvenile (BO & BI figure 8) MITF tests.

vCash
    Caris, I jump CCW and do my Ina Bauer with my right foot leading, so I have the same issues, just in a mirror image. For me, the jump that works best from the Bauer is the loop, with the second best being the salchow. For the loop, I do an outside-to-inside Bauer, then FI 3-turn with the leading foot while keeping the trailing foot on the ice, then take off. It's actually a great setup.

For the salchow, I go from outside to inside Bauer, shift my weight from front foot to back foot, bend deeply and take off from the back inside edge. It's not easy, but it's unexpected and looks kind of cool. In theory, you could also use that setup for a flip takeoff directly out of the Bauer.

Incidentally, you should not sacrifice the quality of the jump itself just for an impressive setup. Last year I did my lutz from a bracket and got no +GOE's for it because the jump itself was just OK, not as well executed as a lutz I would have done from an easier setup. So this year I am not going to bother.

vCash
    For the salchow, I go from outside to inside Bauer, shift my weight from front foot to back foot, bend deeply and take off from the back inside edge. It's not easy, but it's unexpected and looks kind of cool. In theory, you could also use that setup for a flip takeoff directly out of the Bauer.

I love this idea! Definitely one to have a play about with